MENS SP = steaming pile? | Golden Skate

MENS SP = steaming pile?

Mafke

Medalist
I didn't much care for Plushenko's program. There was no connection with the music (has he been taking lessons from Sokolova?) and it was front loaded (having all the jumps together at the beginning is poor program composition and should be reflected in the PCS) and poor sitspins. But ... he delivered - unlike almost all the other guys. On paper, I don't agree with his huge lead, but after watching the rest of the field blow opportunity after opportunity I think it's appropriate.

None of this applies to Weir who was excellent, wisely didn't go for the quad* and delivered the only other world class SP.

*I think skating cleanly was more important here, maybe he should go for it in the LP (since if he can get the rotations in it doesn't matter so much if he lands it)

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
I agree with you about Plushenko. To copy what I wrote in another thread: As much as I love Plushy(he is one of my fave male skaters), I did not like his choreography at all. His presentation works great with stuff like Carmen, but this was just....It's like the music was playing, but he was skating to a completely different song in his head. He deserved to have the highest tech score, but if I were a judge, I could never justify giving him that high of a program components score. In that regard, Johnny should have had the highest mark - still in second overall, but the highest presentation mark.

JOHIO2

Medalist
The sheer length of this thread tells you much about the men's short comp! Mostly missed opportunities and held-up scoring and what the heck was that? And where DID they get those component scores?

Good for Johnny! (oh yea, and Plushie). Sorry Matt. What happened Evan?

Let the games begin!

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
utter splatfest. johnny delivered, good for him. plushy was solid and demonstrated how great is skating ability is, but i think it was definitely only a so-so performance presentation wise.

soogar

Record Breaker
I'm just pi$$ed NBC didn't show Klimkin. It seems like he didn't fall (at least in PBP) and I want to see how he skated that he finished so low in points to Evan who missed an element and fell on another. Editred to add: I downloaded and now that I've seen the program... poor Ilia. He skated so well at Euros and Russian Nats to make it to the Olympics. What a dreadful costume though.

I really hate Bezic calling Baboo's choreography "trite", At least Baboo had an interesting program and he was really selling it. It was a highlight of the competition for me (besides Plush). And Baboo's spins improved so much. Spins aren't a weakness for him anymore.

Rolling my eyes at Johnny's "Gay Bode" profile. Nikie already laid off on the incessant running of the Bode ads and now I have see yet another athlete profile where the athlete is incessantly going on and on about changing the "establishment". Please, there are a million guys like Weir figure skating which is why skating is the "gay sport". Weir isn't adding anything new. He did skate his SP very well though.

At least they showed some OES skaters. European guys have so much style and bring something interesting to the ice.

Last edited:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I'm pissed we didn't see Klimkin too, epecially since they showed at least 3 skaters that didn't skate well and who aren't as good as Klimkin.

My favorite short program of the night was a toss up between Lambiel and Johnny Weir. I love Plushy but his short is top-loaded and then followed by frenzied unattractive footwork and ugly spins fit to win points. Uncle Dick was right that his final spin would have been much more pleasing if he had continued with the scratch spin.

I'm annoyed at Lambiel for not doing the 3A, he played it safe and now the gold is pretty much handed to Plushenko barring injury or a complete sandhu-style meltdown.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I really loved Joubert´s short programme at Europeans, but somehow it does not feel the same anymore.

Plushenko is not a musical skater. He is an audience pleaser who love big jumps and a boyish bravado. Watch Johnny for musicality. Not Evgeny.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
FreeKatie said:
I'm pissed we didn't see Klimkin too, epecially since they showed at least 3 skaters that didn't skate well and who aren't as good as Klimkin.

QUOTE]

The men kept choking on their jumps...klimkin was a prime example he opened up on the second revolution, almost lokoed around in mid air and thought sh*t better pull back in for the third rotation and landed the triple...he had plenty of room for the quad. Addingthe double toe to the flip looked awkward and had someone starched the armpits of his costume? He held his armsout to the side for the entire performance.

I think the Olympic pressure got to all fo the guys except Plushy and Johnny.

Ant

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My treats for the evening were Lambiel and Johnny. I was keeping my fingers crossed for Takehashi (sp?), Jeff and Sandu. I like all the guys but those are the ones I was pulling for.

Dee

Frau Muller

Final Flight
BRAVO to both Plush & Johnny!!! Johnny -- I adore your honesty (& artistry)!

I really hope that the eventual standings are the same as they are right now -

1. Plush
2. Johnny
3. Lambiel

That's a 'keeper'! :agree:

Last edited:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Maybe Sandhu will surprise us all again with a great LP and come back to medal. Maybe he is one of those people that started studying for the final exam the night before, maybe he needs the extra pressure on himself, who knows, but I would be happy with Plush, Weir and Lambiel, in any order.

pollyls

Rinkside
When I saw Plushenko's score I half expected to see him levitating and flying around the rink when I turned the TV on last nite. :biggrin: It is only the judges giving him the kind of lead that will ensure him the gold medal even if he crashes and burns in the free skate. It's too bad...and I enjoy watching him, don't get me wrong.

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, I agree with the criticisms of Plushenko's marks as well. It was no Winter. Obviously he deserved to be in first as virtually everybody else choked (even Weir was SLOW), but the sky-high marks - not so much. I found his footwork particularly jarring. He was pushing it too hard for what the music was trying to say. I was pretty shocked at how badly the field in general skated. I was totally bummed after Buttle's skate, certain it would totally knock him out of contention - possibly the top 10, but nobody else stepped up either. The only good thing is that he still has an outside shot at a medal and can go all-out in the long - he's got not a thing to lose.

curious

Final Flight
pollyls said:
When I saw Plushenko's score I half expected to see him levitating and flying around the rink when I turned the TV on last nite. :biggrin: It is only the judges giving him the kind of lead that will ensure him the gold medal even if he crashes and burns in the free skate. It's too bad...and I enjoy watching him, don't get me wrong.

sure the judges all conspire to give plushenko the gold as always cause he didn't give the best performance and we know how bad he skates his lp lol!:biggrin:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Plushy's marks were absolutely justified...esp the Component scores. The footwork -- its musicality, ATTACK, variety of steps & directions -- was especially fantabulous!

Keep it up, Plushenko!

Team Rossiya -- one gold down, three to go!

Kirkbiggestfan

Rinkside
Here is an explanation by Jean Roland Racle for the splatfest in the men competition: He thinks that a 6am practice the day before the SP is not the best thing for the athletes, who might have had to skate at 10pm.
He also says that there is only one practice session scheduled today before the FP ( I am not sure if this is true)

LP splatfest???

soogar

Record Breaker
Kirkbiggestfan said:
Here is an explanation by Jean Roland Racle for the splatfest in the men competition: He thinks that a 6am practice the day before the SP is not the best thing for the athletes, who might have had to skate at 10pm.
He also says that there is only one practice session scheduled today before the FP ( I am not sure if this is true)

LP splatfest???

Geez, why don't the Olympic organizers take into account athletic performance when scheduling practices. Many people have a hard time moving in the morning and it screws with sleep pattern to have to wake up early and skate and then skate late the next day.

eliza88

On the Ice
I really enjoyed Plushy's SP! It packed a lot of excitement! I do not like his sitspin though...never low enough! Absolutely the best skate of the night!

Johnny...I adore this SP of his, just beautiful! Please skate Otonal beautifully and get on the podium!

I love Lambiel's headless spin at the end (but it's better when he doesn't travel!). I enjoyed his new SP...looks pretty good for a 3-week old program!

Why was Matt's PCS score so low? This guy has been doing transitions before they were the rage! Everything was lovely except the botched jump.

Oh Sandhu! I agree with Dick, when he is on the ice, who cares about the jumps, I just want to see all the in-betweens! Man can that boy move! Has there ever been any discussion of him switching to Ice Dance?

eliza88