Has anyone read Yagudin's book? | Golden Skate

Has anyone read Yagudin's book?

The latest Spotlight on Skating has a nice excerpt (in English) from Alexei Yagudin's autobiography, Overcome, written with Canadian professional writer Lynda Prouse.

The book was published in Japan a couple of years ago, and Alexei announced in the lead-in to the article that he has now found a Russian publisher. "We're still looking for a North American publisher -- I'm not giving up!"

I can't remember a time in my lofe when I didn't skate. Spinning, jumping, and gliding across the ice is as naturl to me as breathing. It's what I do and who I am. In fact, I don't have a single memory of anything that happened to me before I began the sport at age four.

Has anyone (among our Japanese members, especially) read the book? Any impressions, or things that stood out?

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
I red some of the excerpts which a fan of Yag translated into Korean, and boy isn't he a proud man!!

I remember the part where he described his youth, how mischievous and stubborn he was, how he was unsympathetic to Anna Karerina who foolishly commited a suicide in agony of love.:laugh::laugh:

I also remember he said something like he doesn't respect other skaters...just sees some good qualities in some skaters.

It was my impression that Yag seemed to diss other male skaters of his time "slightly" since he mentioned and evaluated everyone of them very 'candidly'...just my impression!!!^^

There's also an autobiography of Plushenko and the shocking part was that how other skaters Mishin had all bullied Plushenko. I bet Yagudin was one of them. haha

Both are very fun to read, i think, especially for those who followed them and know their history, but I don't think it will sell in the States.

Last edited:

kandidy

Final Flight
The latest Spotlight on Skating has a nice excerpt (in English) from Alexei Yagudin's autobiography, Overcome, written with Canadian professional writer Lynda Prouse.

The book was published in Japan a couple of years ago,

Has anyone (among our Japanese members, especially) read the book? Any impressions, or things that stood out?

Really? I will look through the amazon.jp.
The title is Overcome? Is it in Japanese?

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
"Overcome: The Story of a Figure Skating Champion" It's in Japanese. I asume that the original (unpublished) version was in English, since the ghost wrter is Canadian.

Yes, it was originally written in English.

I also remember he said something like he doesn't respect other skaters...just sees some good qualities in some skaters.

Whenever Alexei is asked who his hero is, the answer I've always heard him give in English interviews (and translated from Russian interviews), is that he doesn't have just one "hero," that he finds qualities to admire in many different skaters. I don't think I've ever heard or read where he said he doesn't "respect" other skaters.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Thanks, Nan. :)

The title of the book is a little different in the new Russian publication; it is called "Naprolom", which means "straight through".

jennylovskt

Medalist
Whenever Alexei is asked who his hero is, the answer I've always heard him give in English interviews (and translated from Russian interviews), is that he doesn't have just one "hero," that he finds qualities to admire in many different skaters. I don't think I've ever heard or read where he said he doesn't "respect" other skaters.

I have read some translations from Japanese version to English on Alexei Yagudin's Discussion Group site 2 or 3 years ago. I had the same impression as yours. Never had the impression that Alexei doesn't respect other skaters. I am going back and digging the archives to try to find it, so far it's unsuccessful.

woodenkey

Rinkside
Whenever Alexei is asked who his hero is, the answer I've always heard him give in English interviews (and translated from Russian interviews), is that he doesn't have just one "hero," that he finds qualities to admire in many different skaters. I don't think I've ever heard or read where he said he doesn't "respect" other skaters

Exactly. After reading many interviews, I got an impression that Yagudin actually respects way too many skaters. He always fails to name just one.

Last edited:

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
I'm sorry if I misled or offended some ppl here.
Perhaps the translation which I'd red is misleading, perhaps my memory failed me. Strangely it is stuck in my head that I red something like that.(thus remember it as somewhat interesting part.)

It's not my intention to detract Alexei, I loved him and still admire him, I thought his pride is what makes him great. He is the giant in skating world.

I should edit my post but since someone've quoted it, I'll leave it here.