Conscription: Women, Conscientious Objection, and Social Welfare | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Conscription: Women, Conscientious Objection, and Social Welfare

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Toni, I think national service would be hard to introduce into countries that don't have it because people would have a hard time accepting this new requirement. In countries that already have it, it's probably not that big a deal - I'd guess most people view it as no more intrusive than paying taxes or doing jury duty ;).

I really don't see why you're good with requiring community service to graduate high school but not with national service of any sort - it strikes me as pretty much the same thing. A system like the one Medusa describes sounds like a good opportunity for pre-college kids to test out their interests and abilities before committing to any career path.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I should have been more clear, it's for an honors program... I can't believe I missed that in my original post... there were many who graduated that didn't do any sort of community service... it's not a "forced" thing, just an option (honors look good on a college ap, but most of the kids in my area don't do the college thing... and some of us never finish)

my point was that the high schoolers have a choice. volunteering could be anything like cleaning up a church for a few weeks (ie basic janitorial duties)... which is kind of a cop out, I know, but you'd get it signed off... it's not taken all that seriously IMHO... but it also counts teaching sunday school or other church programs - I don't think a government based program would allow that for the fact that people scream "seperation of church and state"

Bennett

Record Breaker
Regarding choices, I feel it would help if the system gives you incentives, like doing something makes you look good on your CV, pay less tax, receive a scholarship, etc. Then your participation becomes more voluntary than a forced one.