Votes could put Sale, Pelletier on Canadian coin | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Votes could put Sale, Pelletier on Canadian coin

i love to skate

Medalist
I agree with the poster who said they'd been around for only a couple of years, much less time than any of their competitors. Yet S/P expected everything to be given to them simply because they thought they deserved it.

They had only been together for about three years, however both had been on the competitive scene for quite some time. Jamie competed at the 1994 Olympics and David went to the 1995 World Championships. Jason went through a couple partners before he and Jamie teamed up (he also competed in singles). When Jamie couldn't find a parter after Jason Turner she competed in singles as well.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I got totally turned off by S/P because of all the whining and handwringing on the US TV talk shows. You couldn't turn on a talk program morning or evening without having to listen to Jamie whine about "their" gold medal (which hadn't been awarded yet). Her attitude of entitlement was a huge turnoff.
I also found her annoying, but I don't remember David P being that bad. He had that line about if he hadn't wanted to risk something like the judges' decision, he "should have skied down the hill" - I thought that was kind of funny.

Agree on the merits of their Love Story program, or lack thereof. S/P should have come up with a true winning program, not skated a so-so recycled LP at Olys.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I agree with you. How do you have a collision when you're looking at the person you're colliding with??? .....anyhow that's how it looked to me.

When you can't do anything to get out of the way despite having seen them? These sorts of collisions happen all the time on busy sessions all over the world. I am amzaed when there are four paris teams or five dance teams warming up and there aren't more collisions or near misses.

They happen frequently enough to remember the bad ones/ones at high profile events. I remember a really painful looking one between Hubert and Ito.

Ant

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was an ACCIDENT. It happens all the time and was not intentional.
I am not so sure it wasn't intentional. One thing I do know is that it was a big attention getter. There were other people involved in the collision and who else whinned about getting hurt or shaken up???

i love to skate

Medalist
I am not so sure it wasn't intentional. One thing I do know is that it was a big attention getter. There were other people involved in the collision and who else whinned about getting hurt or shaken up???

Yes I'm sure Jamie's thoughts minutes before the biggest competition of her life were; I really want some attention so I'm going to intentionally run into a man TWICE my size. Let's hope I don't get injured and he does. Here is the collision in real time, please tell me how she was supposed to avoid this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC_42bQJS9U&feature=related

It's obvious you just don't like them and that's fine but to suggest Jamie did that on purpose is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. :disapp:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yes I'm sure Jamie's thoughts minutes before the biggest competition of her life were; I really want some attention so I'm going to intentionally run into a man TWICE my size. Let's hope I don't get injured and he does. Here is the collision in real time, please tell me how she was supposed to avoid this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC_42bQJS9U&feature=related
I doubt it was planned. From both angles in the video, it looks like she would have seen him well before he saw her, and I find it really hard to believe a skater of Jamie's caliber couldn't have stopped/changed direction. However, this would be a stupid thing to do on purpose, especially at the biggest event you'll ever do as a skater - and while I found Jamie whiny and annoying, I doubt she is stupid.

Her behavior afterwards certainly made it seem as if she were after attention, though, and accusing Anton of doing it on purpose is just disgusting, so I hope that's not true about her. But you know, having them on the coin would be a fine commemoration of the great tradition of crying wuzrobbed and blaming the Russians, so I'm all for it :biggrin:.

And yikes, those other accidents still look awful. How Dan Zhang completed that LP is beyond me.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
I doubt it was planned. From both angles in the video, it looks like she would have seen him well before he saw her, and I find it really hard to believe a skater of Jamie's caliber couldn't have stopped/changed direction. However, this would be a stupid thing to do on purpose, especially at the biggest event you'll ever do as a skater - and while I found Jamie whiny and annoying, I doubt she is stupid.

Well speaking from experience, collisions happen so very fast that the reaction time is just not quick enough to get out of the way. I had one just the other day which involved me and two other skaters; your body just doesn't move fast enough! Anton wasn't looking where he was going and neither was Jamie. Accidents happen, it was no one's fault.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well speaking from experience, collisions happen so very fast that the reaction time is just not quick enough to get out of the way. I had one just the other day which involved me and two other skaters; your body just doesn't move fast enough! Anton wasn't looking where he was going and neither was Jamie. Accidents happen, it was no one's fault.

Exactly, in my epxerience I've hurt myself more badly trying to get out of the way and twisting and falling than I have when I collide with someone. Though that's probably because i'm bigger than anyone who's ever run into me! It's also difficult to guess where to move to - sometimes you you move in the same direction and end up colliding anyway. I can't access youtube at work but from memory wasn't Jamie stood still. looks up and sees him and then gets hit? I can tell you it's much harder to move out of the way when you're stood still than it is when you are moving.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker

Seriously?? :rolleye: a skater lying in second place after the SP, in a warm up for the LP would decide that despite weighing half the amount of the other guy she'd try to cause an accident that hurts him more than her??

Ant

hongligl

Final Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee4707

Seriously?? a skater lying in second place after the SP, in a warm up for the LP would decide that despite weighing half the amount of the other guy she'd try to cause an accident that hurts him more than her??

Ant

look at this "toe loop set up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926U...7F49841E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=37

and then look at the toe loop set up in the LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ktFtDRvSM

It appears that in the warm-up the "set-up" involve two feet flat edges at remarkable speed, although rarely seen for a toe-loop or any jump set up, but great for balance and lots of momentum (mv) , while B/S were trying to show-off their signature move- elena on outside edge spread eagle and Anton on out side edge spiral , between them and the ice is just the thin air, very vulnerable positions during a collision. So it was mainly a matter of balance. Small as she was, remembe momentum =mv, enough to send him off balance. On the ice if you maintain your balance, the force more like push you away than hurt you.

B/S appeared being caught totally off guard and trying to avoid, while there was no sign showing Jamie tried to avoid, instead it appears there was push and pull involved? and her expression afterward;)

B/S had totally unexpected it and skated immediately afterwards, S/P skated 3rd, talking about nerve factor.

Just some observations and after thoughts. I must admit that I was quite concerned about the collision at that time and hoped to see that it was a pure accident. However no matter how much I wished it does not appear that way, jmo.

BTW I think David had been quite graceful and I don't have hard feeling against him. :)yes: it's of no importance how I feel about anybody or any thing, just want to say how it appears to be and this is the last comment of mine on this matter, never again)

i love to skate

Medalist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee4707

Seriously?? a skater lying in second place after the SP, in a warm up for the LP would decide that despite weighing half the amount of the other guy she'd try to cause an accident that hurts him more than her??

Ant

look at this "toe loop set up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926U...7F49841E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=37

and then look at the toe loop set up in the LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ktFtDRvSM

It appears that in the warm-up the "set-up" involve two feet flat edges at remarkable speed, although rarely seen for a toe-loop or any jump set up, but great for balance and lots of momentum (mv) , while B/S were trying to show-off their signature move- elena on outside edge spread eagle and Anton on out side edge spiral , between them and the ice is just the thin air, very vulnerable positions during a collision. So it was mainly a matter of balance. Small as she was, remembe momentum =mv, enough to send him off balance. On the ice if you maintain your balance, the force more like push you away than hurt you.

B/S appeared being caught totally off guard and trying to avoid, while there was no sign showing Jamie tried to avoid, instead it appears there was push and pull involved? and her expression afterward;)

B/S had totally unexpected it and skated immediately afterwards, S/P skated 3rd, talking about nerve factor.

Just some observations and after thoughts. I must admit that I was quite concerned about the collision at that time and hoped to see that it was a pure accident. However no matter how much I wished it does not appear that way, jmo.

BTW I think David had been quite graceful and I don't have hard feeling against him. :)yes: it's of no importance how I feel about anybody or any thing, just want to say how it appears to be and this is the last comment of mine on this matter, never again)

So Jamie somehow managed to switch her pattern for her toe loop and timed it exactly right to hit Anton and throw him off balance despite her size. Ah yes it makes total sense now :banging: Regardless of it being the biggest competition of her life Jamie's mission in that warm up was to run into another team. Seriously, I can't believe we are even having this discussion, it is just mind boggling.