If you had a time travelling machine... | Golden Skate

If you had a time travelling machine...

Eevun

Final Flight
I got the idea when we were talking about the visible (or hear-able) lack of enthusiasm in the Worlds audience.
That made me miss last year even more. Due to:
*the super-duper great party feeling of the crowd there (felt honoured of being a part of it),
*the Skate of Kerr's Scottish OD.
*Jeff's quite unexpected winning and his wonderful LP that just spurted of energy.
*Johnny taking his first Worlds medal.
*Stephane's EX (Un Giorno Per Noi still makes me cry)
*everyone skating together at EX and the last round saying goodbye (I cried my heart out of sorrow)

Other moments I would like to go back to
Oly 2002: Yagudin's winning LP (my first figure skating memory, watched since then)
*Worlds 2004 Stefan Lindemanns LP. :love: that little jumping machine!

If you could time travel, which figure skating moments would you go back to? (Ok, there are videotapes, and I've only experience Worlds 2008 live, but there is something special with just the moment when you see it the very first time, live, through a screen or not)

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I wish I could time travel to see...

Mishkutenok and Dmitriev's Liebestraume at 1991 worlds.

I've never seen any skating competition live before. It must have been great to have been at last year's worlds.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Eevun, I agree about Yagudin at 2002 Olys, that would have been cool. Especially since I didn't even watch live on TV, as the time difference was too much. Or 2002 Euros, at least to see what I consider his best performance of Winter, and 17 year old Brian Joubert, and Abt's gorgeous Artsakh SP...

I watched almost no figure skating until 1999, but one of the few programs I do remember is Lulu's Last Emperor FS at 1995 Worlds. I loved that program and on Youtube it's just a fuzzy video, so definitely that.

I'd like to see one of Janet Lynn's great free skates and see if she was as good she looks to have been when watching on Youtube.

I wish I could have been at Worlds in Gotheburg - it looked like so much fun! I must say I generally found the skating much more exciting last season - this year many of the performances by the top people were very accomplished but left me cold.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton's return to the ice after his battle from Cancer.

1993 Worlds - Kurt's final title... and Casablanca

1988 Olympics....

1984 Olympics - Men's portion (I wasn't born yet so that'd be even MORE fun lol)

evangeline

Record Breaker
Mishkutenok and Dmitriev's spectacular Rachmaninoff LP at the 1994 Olympics. But then again, I'd probably start crying since they only won silver behind a flawed G/G...

And of course, the *drama* of the 2002 Olympic men's event, with the Yagudin-Plushenko rivalry at an all time high.

Jhar55

Medalist
Any year just to see G&G skate, the one couple I always want to see skate live and never had the chance..

Danale

On the Ice
I'd just love to see Tatiana Tarasova pair skating ... what was it? 65? 66?
I wonder if she skated with a big fur coat ... :p

screech

Final Flight
Some iconic moments I'd love to see

Sonja Henie
Kurt landing the first quad
1994 O's - the whole competition
Elizabeth Manley at the 88 O's

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they only skater they could boot off the team was Rachel... not Alissa. get over it. move on. :sheesh:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I would like to go back and see two competitions live.
The battle of the Brians and the battle of the Carmens!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Programs I wish I saw live (but didn't):

Rudy Galindo's programs at 1996 US Nationals.

Battle of the Brians

Torvill & Dean, the year they did Mack & Mable

Things I saw live and wish I could go back to with a time machine:

1984 Worlds in Ottawa, the whole thing. Underhill & Martini coming back from a disastrous Olympics to win gold in the pairs. Gary Beacom's wonderful programs in both the SP & LP. Elaine Zayak rallying to win the bronze as the sole US ladies team member. And Torvill & Dean, skating their absolutely wonderful Paso OSP (not to mention Bolero).

alekzu

Rinkside
I'd go back to last years Worlds anytime, and you know it Eevun. ;) (and I'd press "repeat" when we get to Daisukes SP :love: ) The audience... The feeling.... The excitement.... I miss it so much! I need to go on another figure skating competition again. ASAP.

Olympics 2006 would be nice to watch live as well. Those were the good old days...

I'd just love to see Tatiana Tarasova pair skating ... what was it? 65? 66?
I wonder if she skated with a big fur coat ... :p

I second that! Good idea! :laugh:

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wish I could go back in time to see the pioneers in action - those who layed down the great foundations of this beautiful sport or who were the first to perform the elements we often take for granted in this sport. And all the World and Olympic Champions or those who deserved to win gold but never did-like Janet Lynn.

I would especially love to see Axel Paulsen, Lutz Larson, Sonja Henie, Dick Button, the 1961 Nationals - very poignant that - Gordeeva and Grinkov at both their Olympic triumphs, Oksana Baiul, Alexei Yagudin (I've seen them including G & G but only in Expo's), Midori Ito especially when she landed that first ladies triple axel, Berezhnaya and Sikhuruldidze in both their medal winning Olympic programs. There are really too many but those are a few standouts.

ing

Rinkside
I'm not sure when this was but I would guess late spring1992. Swedish television aired an ice show, I think it was from Gothenburg, where Viktor Petrenko performed to "Let's twist again", in the beginning when he tried to get someone to dance with him a girl did, to his surprise, turn up.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I would go back in time to Detroit 1994 and smack Tonya Harding around screaming: girl! stop them! its not worth it! you can beat that head case! just skate for the title you damn fool!

I would go back in time to see Michelle Kwan skate Red Violin at Worlds live (maybe my favorite program of hers...)

I would also like to go back in time to see Surya refuse her silver medal live - she was robbed. period. she acted like a spoiled brat about it - but robbed she was.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I would go back in time to Detroit 1994 and smack Tonya Harding around screaming: girl! stop them! its not worth it! you can beat that head case! just skate for the title you damn fool!

...only to see her falter and come in third behind Kwan giving Kwan the oppotunity to skate in the 1994 Olympics??? :laugh:

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

just make sure you do it with a baseball bat so that it still makes the headlines and the popularity of the sport soars for the next 5 or so years.