Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

minerva

Spectator
well, it was a shocking news for me. There were many articles about Yuna and Orser......
But, minutes ago, i read news(Yuna side). She(exactly her management company) said, they(Orser and Yuna) were uncomfortable since May. So Yuna skated alone at Canada, and practised her new choreography with David Wilson. (I think she will not retire. absolutely.)
And Yuna announced that she still respects Orser. I think she has right to change her coach, and so far- many skaters changed their coaches. It is sad there is a argument about their relation.

This reminds me of the way many of us felt in 2002, when Michelle and Frank Carroll split. I just hope that whatever caused the split (if indeed it has happened), the two sides part on good terms. Neither of them would have achieved what they did this year without the other. We don't even have to elaborate what Kim has gained from the partnership. For Orser's part, he vaulted into the top ranks of coaching solely on the record of Kim's monumental achievements. That will never go away.

Maybe the dynamic has shifted in some way. Of course Orser can't devote himself solely to Kim forever. What aspiring skater would want to hire him as a coach if he was known to spend the bulk of his time and energy on someone else? He has to move on, as she does. He's not the coach for a state skating system the way Jutta Mueller was for East Germany, where she could (and had to) spend the bulk of her time polishing the pride of the German skating program, Katarina Witt, on her way to a second OGM. And maybe Kim is feeling different about how much she wants to take direction from someone else. She's not a child anymore. She's an Olympic champion, and even more, in Korea she's the head of an industry.

Regardless, I hope everything ends well for this marvelous pair. They've given each other a lot, and they've given us a lot, too.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I think this is a prelude to Yu-na exiting from eligible competition. Time to cash in and move on to other things. At this point, producing and starring in shows, and pursuing other personal and business interests is likely the direction she wants to head. Goodness' knows she already has the money rolling in from contracts and endorsements. She might still get one or more coaches though, likely on a part-time or as-needed basis.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Press Release

August 24, 2010 (New York, NY) – Meehee Park, Kim’s mother and a representative with AT Sports,( Kim’s agency), met with Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson on August 2, 2010 in Toronto, Canada. They both informed the two-time Olympic Medalist that he would no longer be retained to coach Kim. No reason was given for the sudden and unexpected decision. At the present time Kim continues to train at the Cricket Club in Toronto, Canada.

Under Orser’s four year successful tutelage Kim captured the World Championships, the 2010 Olympic Gold Medal in Vancouver and countless other titles. In addition to Kim, Orser coaches many future hopefuls including U.S. skaters Adam Rippon and Christina Gao.

“I am honored to have worked with such a talented and gifted skater,” said Orser. “I wish her all the best as she moves forward in her skating career.”

More from AFP

I think this summarizes the debate quite well, given that it highlights the opposing claims from both camps (that the other initiated it). The one shocker to me is "Olympic figure skating gold medallist Kim Yu-Na has parted ways with Canadian coach Brian Orser after he was reportedly asked to teach another skater, Kim's agency said Tuesday".

Clearly this must have been a high-level skater that would pose a threat to Yu-na. Thoughts?

ALSO: 3 threads are talking about the issue. Could a moderator sort this out?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Each party might be saying differently, but I think the the main reason for the split is that Yuna is no longer Brian's top priority. Brian will say otherwise, but as he said in the recent interview, he "arranged time slots for Yuna's training" as she came back to Toronto from the ATS ice show. He would have never said something like that if it was last year or years before that, because back then she was his top priority. I can understand even if Kim's mom was the one who brought up the split as Brian claimed; she wouldn't want to continue him as Yuna's main coach when her daughter no longer seems to be his priority.

of all the theories out there, this one seems the most logical (and most likely). Although I tend to think IMG's statement is closer to the truth than ATS's, both sides are leaving something major out of the picture. I tend to think that Yuna demands more time than Orser is willing to give her now, simple as that. I initially thought she was retiring, but she has not made such a mention yet.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I thought the rumors about Mao and Orser were settled a while ago. Supposedly, an offer was made to Orser without Mao's knowledge and Orser refused it. Typical of the media bring up rumors from months ago to spice up the speculation. :rolleye:

janetfan

Match Penalty
An article from the Toronto Star (that I saw posted here but it seems to have disappeared)... lots of quotes from the Orser side, but it does add perspective to some of the speculation.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/851607--orser-left-out-in-the-cold-by-korean-figure-skater

I posted it but the link did not seem to work so I deleted it. Your link is not working for me - but the article was interesting and had alot of comments from Brian Orser that I had not seen anywhere else.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I posted it but the link did not seem to work so I deleted it. Your link is not working for me - but the article was interesting and had alot of comments from Brian Orser that I had not seen anywhere else.

It works for me, but it's also the main article on the front webpage of the Star if it doesn't. It looks like the journalist changed the title (and by extension the URL), which could be why the older link doesn't work for some. Edited original post to have both the old and new URLs.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It works for me, but it's also the main article on the front webpage of the Star if it doesn't. It looks like the journalist changed the title (and by extension the URL), which could be why the older link doesn't work for some. Edited original post to have both the old and new URLs.

Thanks, I got it to work. (www.thestar.com)

Here is an interesting quote from Brian:

“I spoke with her the other day … She seems confused about what’s going on. Because of all this turmoil with her mother, she doesn’t know what’s going on. Nor do I. That’s what I said to her, ‘I’m a little confused, but it’s been a great four years,’” said Orser.

“We just needed to have a little chat with her before I did this (went public), that the last four years were really magical and we had such a great thing and we support her in whatever direction she wants to go. She wasn’t part of any of these decisions about letting us go.”

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Thanks, I got it to work.

“I spoke with her the other day … She seems confused about what’s going on. Because of all this turmoil with her mother, she doesn’t know what’s going on. Nor do I. That’s what I said to her, ‘I’m a little confused, but it’s been a great four years,’” said Orser.

“We just needed to have a little chat with her before I did this (went public), that the last four years were really magical and we had such a great thing and we support her in whatever direction she wants to go. She wasn’t part of any of these decisions about letting us go.”

That and the fact that Orser found out about her withdrawal from her GP events from the internet. That just seems shocking to me.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
An article from the Toronto Star (that I saw posted here but it seems to have disappeared)... lots of quotes from the Orser side, but it does add perspective to some of the speculation.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/851607--orser-left-out-in-the-cold-by-korean-figure-skater

updated URL if the above doesn't work:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/artic...e-skater-came-out-of-the-blue-says-orser?bn=1

it's the front story on the Star, so it shouldn't be a problem to find.

Thanks so much for the link.

So Kim's mother is the master of this turmoil. It has actually firmed my belief that Yu Na will retire. You can't find a coach as fit as Orser-Kim for Kim in such a short time. To me, at least Yu Na's mother's heart is not on competing any more. So very soon Yu Na will move on. The way of departing from Orser is sad. It shouldn't happen this way even if Yu Na and her mother were really considering retiring.

brownfox

On the Ice
Thanks, I got it to work. (www.thestar.com)

I don't know what to say.

LeCygne

Final Flight
.So Kim's mother is the master of this turmoil. It has actually firmed my belief that Yu Na will retire. You can't find a coach as fit as Orser-Kim for Kim in such a short time. To me, at least Yu Na's mother's heart is not on competing any more. So very soon Yu Na will move on. The way of departing from Orser is sad. It shouldn't happen this way even if Yu Na and her mother were really considering retiring.

I think you're probably right. Yu-Na's mother went through a lot for her daughter while she was competing, and now that they've achieved their goal, why go through all of it anymore? It's just too bad that Yu-Na hasn't gotten any say in this and Orser is the one who suffers because of it. I hope he'll move on and concentrate on Adam and Christina and not let this bother him too much.