Who should have won that gold! Top ten robberies | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Who should have won that gold! Top ten robberies

gkelly

Record Breaker
Oh Plushenko Batman? :)You are always so descriptive,my first image that came in mind is this , its not my fault:laugh:

I could see Plushenko in a cape. He has the flair to carry it off, don't you think?

Plushyfan, I didn't even think of all those arguments from 2010 about the silver medal being platinum. It just seems like such a wonderful image. It adds to the glamor of skating. As Deedee1 says, if not for our drama, fans might as well just follow baseball or rugby.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes, of course. Those opinion influenced by national bias a little bit, and I'm also bias. :biggrin: But P. Candeloro, E. Stojko, Lu Chen, B. Joubert( year later, in an interview), coach of Shen & Zhao, and other Europeans experts and commentators, they had same opinions. National bias? I think the Americans commentators also had national bias. For example Dick Button trashing Plushenko before and after the OG, it was his patriotic duty. But if we watch some old videos, what was saying about Plushenko some years ago,everybody would be surprised.:yes:

I love comparing what they say about the Russian #2 dancers and how the shifts if/when they become the Russian #1s.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Incredibly well put, deedee:agree::rock:

Thanks!

Besides, I have one more 'tremendous pleasure' of still anticipating/dreaming of my favorite skater's potential choreographers out of greatest ones in the world (such as Nikolai M.), of names of the music out of greatest ones in the world (such as Carmen), of costumes and its designer out of the greatest ones in the world (e.g. Bera W.) for another 70+ days. :rofl: ( yeah, I am a bit in a sarcastic mood after long and tiring day of work...:sarcasm:)
There must be nothing like this 'tremendous pleasure' of mine for most fans of other skaters, maybe except a couple of Patrick fans who are dying to know names of the music for his new programs. Okay, who are jealous of me now? :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Deedee, have you checked to see if your favorite skater has turned to alchemy and is trying his craft in figure skating? ;) Plushenko has nothing on him turning silver into platinum!

DianaSelene

Medalist
I love comparing what they say about the Russian #2 dancers and how the shifts if/when they become the Russian #1s.

When I watched Domnina/Shabalin's Torino olympic free skate, Dick Button (and whoever the other commentator was) really praised the couple. At the time they were 9th while Belbin/Agosto were 2nd. Once D/S became a direct threat to B/A, I started hearing less of the comments where they were praised and heard more about the faults of the couple. Coincidence?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I could see Plushenko in a cape. He has the flair to carry it off, don't you think?

Plushyfan, I didn't even think of all those arguments from 2010 about the silver medal being platinum. It just seems like such a wonderful image. It adds to the glamor of skating. As Deedee1 says, if not for our drama, fans might as well just follow baseball or rugby.

Oh, I understand. THX!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Deedee, have you checked to see if your favorite skater has turned to alchemy and is trying his craft in figure skating? ;) Plushenko has nothing on him turning silver into platinum!

shhhhhhhh...SkateFiguring, one or two of his die-hard fans may raise his/her eyebrow...;) but THANKS! :)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
When I watched Domnina/Shabalin's Torino olympic free skate, Dick Button (and whoever the other commentator was) really praised the couple. At the time they were 9th while Belbin/Agosto were 2nd. Once D/S became a direct threat to B/A, I started hearing less of the comments where they were praised and heard more about the faults of the couple. Coincidence?

I think they were better in Torino. But that could be attributed to Maxim's bad back. His back simply did not hold up. Also, Oksana Domnina, like Tatiana Volosozhar in pairs, is probably one of, if not the best female ice dancer in her generation. Yes, I'd put her ahead of Meryl Davis and Tessa Virtue. She just happened to be dealt a not-so-good hand.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I think they were better in Torino. But that could be attributed to Maxim's bad back. His back simply did not hold up. Also, Oksana Domnina, like Tatiana Volosozhar in pairs, is probably one of, if not the best female ice dancer in her generation. Yes, I'd put her ahead of Meryl Davis and Tessa Virtue. She just happened to be dealt a not-so-good hand.

Yes, I can only imagine how D/S could have been much greater if some of their circumstances were different - no health problems, better coaches, and better choreographers. Their basics were amazing, we only need to look at their compulsory programs to understand that.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Yes, I can only imagine how D/S could have been much greater if some of their circumstances were different - no health problems, better coaches, and better choreographers. Their basics were amazing, we only need to look at their compulsory programs to understand that.

This one? :love::love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBnid3UBamc

And yes, I loved their free dance to Karl Jenkins (wasn't it?) at Torino, too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A71XyFV2Rr4

Oh, what a shame a series of injuries made them impossible to stay on top. :cry:

I believe Angelika Krylova also had a back injury that limited her career. It's always too bad when that happens. We tend to think that ice dancing is easier on the body than singles or pairs skating, but clearly that's not the case--especially these days, when the training schedule is so unrelenting.