Virtue and Moir News | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir News

GF2445

Record Breaker
It's such a beautiful program. It shows them off so well. Everything is so beautiful, elegant and effortless!

At least this forum agrees.
Have you seen some the comments on 'the skating lesson' Facebook page? It was quite scathing! Some people said it was awful and boring and slow! Another even said that they would prefer to shoot themselves than be a judge adjudicating it- just ludicrous. But I suppose it's an American skating forum...wonder how they will react to Davis and white's SD?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Some people said it was awful and boring and slow!
Is that really a crime? People like what they like and don't like what they don't like. They don't have to be "OMG!~" to everything a top team/skater does.

But I suppose it's an American skating forum...wonder how they will react to Davis and white's SD?

And here I thought Facebook was international. Mostly American, of course, but there are certainly people of other nations who are a part of that page, just like this forum.

I'm guessing because most of the people who commented in this thread are fans who lean more towards V/M while people who commented there were more neutral fans? Not everyone has to be enthused about early-season showings. People seemed to have mostly positive things to say about Duhamel/Radford's program posted on the same page. It has nothing to do with nationality. It might have a little to do with expectations, though.

Personally, I liked the program, but there's nothing wrong with saying that there is still much to be done. It was good in some parts and "meh" in others.

apple123

On the Ice
I like how some D/W fans already start to panic and resort to putting down V/M regardless of the truth. It just shows their insecurity, and how tasteful of them to say they rather shoot themselves. Maybe they should go ahead then.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
This past season was a real downer for V & M. They were a mere shadow of their 2010 Olympic masterpieces. (I recently took another look at their 2010 Olyimpic gold medal performances and they are something to behold.). Although I'm first & foremost a D & W fan, I believe V & M will likely go into Sochi as the favorites. This SD already shows the special charisma this couple has on the ice.

herios

Medalist
Ideal Olympic program for them. All that toe work in the middle...my legs hurt just watching it. Light, elegant, classic and very difficult. The ending lost a little pizazz, you could tell they were tired but by February that lift should snap right up there

The middle section you mention is mandatory, part of the quick-step pattern. Good choices for the music I thought.

jcmerman

Rinkside
yawn, typical V/M ubers who resort to D/W are just good in "technical elements"
whats so groundbreaking about V/M even if you rate them on pcs ?
they play the same role on a very safe and boring programs

I'd watch D/W anyday and they are finally getting the scores they deserve despite Moirs diva rants

Bravo!!!!! Well said! Feel the same way! Davis and White have been improving year after year since Vanouver. They should have won the gold in 2012(Brilliant program) but they gave V/M a pity party and GAVE V/M the Gold. But was glad when they went to WTT and got the proper results they should've gotten all year long. D/W should have been undefeated for the past 2 years!!!!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Enjoyed the program, and esp. enjoyed watching the live webcast showing Virtue/Moir skate during the warm-up.
It was simply nice to see their faces again -- and it also was really great to see them sweeping grandly across the ice again. Their speed, power, and elegance were esp. obvious juxtaposed against the skating of the less-experienced ice dancers in their group (sorry, no offense intended against the others).

ETA, video of the warm-up:

Fantastic program. Scott Moir looks crisper and sharper than ever. Any concerns about the final lift's legality? (I'm forgetting the current state of over/above the shoulder blah blah blah.) A real winner for the Olympic season.

PS I wish Tessa would go back to a softer hair color with more shades/highlights. Don't like the flat black look for her.

LOL, I usually try to restrain myself from getting involved in cosmetic discussions, but cannot resist indulging this time.
Although the softer hair color also is becoming to Virtue, I like her as a deep brunette who mirrors Moir. For me, their matching dark hair enhances the aura of their "we live to skate together" connection :).
[My understanding is that it is not Virtue's natural shade, but no shame in dyeing one's hair, IMHO. Among the many others who seem to do so are both Davis and White. I've sometimes wondered whether Belbin and he share the same colorist. ;)]

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
ITA, but it should be mentioned that both teams suffer from having a close, close competitor. Consequently, I think both teams pick slightly safer music than they might otherwise, exactly because they are not a shoo-in to win, because they have close competitors. I do wonder sometimes whether Denkova & Staviyski could have won the 2006 Olympics is they hadn't made the disastrous choice of Bach to Africa the year prior-and of course, not making a mistake in the OP at Turin, but still, the bad results of the previous season affected everything, I think. I don't think that two teams that are close have the luxury that T&D did to do whatever they wanted and drive the sport's progress.

The other way a team can drive the sport is by being a known underdog, and using unique choices to drive interest and possibly higher scores-i.e., what have we got to lose???? Let's go for it! mentality. Two teams that took this course would be the Duchesnays and Rahkamo & Kokko. In this time, I see Zhiganshina & Gaszi attempting this route.

:laugh: High value for speed is nothing new in dance. Consider the careers of Bestiamanova & Bukin and Grishuk & Platov. Both teams were the fastest dancers in the time they were skating. And their wins were sometimes controversial as well, because of the value placed on speed more than some other considerations.

However, V&M's edges have not done that much for them lately in the pattern dance parts of SD's, nor in the not touching step sequences. They have been getting the same levels as D&W most of the time; sometimes worse, sometimes better, but on average, about the same. And, in a pattern dance, the faster you skater, the deeper your edges have to be to complete the pattern correctly. Because the total Time to complete the pattern is fixed, and the size of the rink is fixed, and the requirement of a pattern dance pattern is that the better you cover the rink with the pattern, the better you score, its always going to be the case that speed is a big part of SD grading.

It's high school physics:

Distance = Rate (or speed) * Time

When the speed goes up, the distance covered by the pattern is bigger. Since it has to be squeezed into a fixed-size rink, the depth of the turns has to be greater, too, once you're at the filling-the-rink stage. The only negative of higher speed in a pattern dance (or a non-touching step) is whether the turns are done correctly, which is harder at high speed, and both teams, as I said before, have been doing about the same in levels in recent years.

When V&M scored higher in the Finnstep CD at 4CC's (the only time they met and skated the Finnstep) in 2009, the correctness of turns was not judged. Pattern dance segments were graded similar to the way technical scores were assigned in 6.0; there were no unique guidelines. Now there are. So all bets are off.

To add to this, V/M may have better edge work than D/W but Tessa's laboring and heaviness while skating, making everything look like it takes so much effort negates any advantage they have.

moon

On the Ice
This is exactly what programs look like in the middle of the summer! Singles, pairs and dance teams have most likely just started doing full run throughs and the fact that they all can make it to the end of the program is great. It is very hard to bring all your choreography to life when you are more concerned at this time about getting your elements done and having the stamina to complete the program
I think some spectators watching youtube dont realize how long it takes to perfect a performance. It doesnt start out looking Worlds ready. V/M have obviously worked on some sections more than others and good for them having the courage to get out and show it in public knowing that it would invite criticism at this stage.
I havent seen a single Senior elite level program this summer that looks GP ready and nor should they. It is a process.
It makes me appreciate the work and skill it take to makes V/M performances so effortless in the end.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
To add to this, V/M may have better edge work than D/W but Tessa's laboring and heaviness while skating, making everything look like it takes so much effort negates any advantage they have.

If Tessa were 15 lbs lighter, would it improve their appearance as a couple as well as producing a lighter, airier skate from Tessa? Or would it have a negative affect on her strength and stamina? (Recently I saw a you-tube video made early in their career, and was shocked at how tall and skinny Tessa was--almost unrecognizable!)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Early in their career, Tessa was 17 and not fully mature. If she were thinner, she wouldn't look healthy, nor would she have the core strength for the lifts and other difficult moves. I am shocked that you would suggest this.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Oh please let's not do the Tessa-is-overweight thing again! I remember how shocked I was at seeing both Tessa and Meryl at the 2010 Olympics. Both looked gaunt, as if they could snap so easily. They both have more meat on their bones now and I am glad of it. And why does it have to be the woman who must get smaller? Are the guys ever encouraged to bulk up?

Oh please let's not do the Tessa-is-overweight thing again! I remember how shocked I was at seeing both Tessa and Meryl at the 2010 Olympics. Both looked gaunt, as if they could snap so easily. They both have more meat on their bones now and I am glad of it. And why does it have to be the woman who must get smaller? Are the guys ever encouraged to bulk up?

One of the things I like about Tessa is that she has a different build from a lot of skating ladies. She has a very strong-looking upper torso, especially her shoulders. I hope she stays as she is. Her look projects power, which reflects the music choices of this couple.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
This is exactly what programs look like in the middle of the summer! Singles, pairs and dance teams have most likely just started doing full run throughs and the fact that they all can make it to the end of the program is great. It is very hard to bring all your choreography to life when you are more concerned at this time about getting your elements done and having the stamina to complete the program
I think some spectators watching youtube dont realize how long it takes to perfect a performance. It doesnt start out looking Worlds ready. V/M have obviously worked on some sections more than others and good for them having the courage to get out and show it in public knowing that it would invite criticism at this stage.
I havent seen a single Senior elite level program this summer that looks GP ready and nor should they. It is a process.
It makes me appreciate the work and skill it take to makes V/M performances so effortless in the end.

I really like the beginning of the program.. but after the first minute or so it starts to get really dull and boring, and my mind starts to wander about other things. I hope it does not turn into one of their self-induced coma programs. They may not have perfected Carmen and it may have been vulgar and sloppy but it was interesting at least.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
One of the things I like about Tessa is that she has a different build from a lot of skating ladies. She has a very strong-looking upper torso, especially her shoulders. I hope she stays as she is. Her look projects power, which reflects the music choices of this couple.

Problem is Scott looks so puney and wimpish next to her. She should lift him.