Pang/Tong training not going well | Golden Skate

Pang/Tong training not going well

Miss October

Rinkside
Pang Qing and Tong Jian tweeted this on their Weibo (sort of like Chinese Twitter) on Wednesday night:

"Recently, training has not been going well. The moves have not been stable. We'll be departing tomorrow. Hope that when we get to Sochi, we can readjust it better and have some improvements in the quality and stability. We're telling ourselves to keep going :)"

(Source in Chinese: http://weibo.com/pangqing_tongjian)

This makes me so sad! I really like Pang/Tong, but I like Duhamel/Radford too. Who will come away with the bronze? They both deserve to medal!

Miss October

Rinkside
why would you tweet that and let everyone know...?

Don't know for sure... My theory is that this decreases the pressure on them to perform well, so that if they do well, it's great, but if they do poorly, some people will have been prepared for it and won't be too disappointed.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, I'm sad to hear this! Love them - I hope things will improve for them, but their programs are beautiful, no matter what.

Maybe they are trying to lull the other teams into a false sense of security. Then -- wham! :yes:

noskates

Record Breaker
It does seem like a strange thing to tweet. They're either being totally honest and apologizing in advance for a less than stellar performance (how old are they now?) or it's tongue-in-cheek. Didn't they want to retire, get married and get on with their lives and were talked into skating one more Olympics?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They aren't doing the team competition, so they have a little while to get their feet under them.

GF2445

Record Breaker
That's really sad to hear that.
They looked so sharp at the GPF and in the best shape of their careers.

Fingers crossed. They have given so much to pairs skating. I hope that they can finish their career on a high!

bsfan

On the Ice
No need to worry about this. I sense it's the usual way oriental people describe things. If something goes well, westerners will say "it's great, it's wonderful..." while our chinese will say "it's okay, not bad...". They won't say it's good until it's actually perfect.

Anyway, good luck to them. They are my favorite chinese pair since the rising of chinese pair skating.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know we all have our favourites and only one OGM. The problem or challenge is everyone has their personal interest - there are a lot of what if's but it didn't happen. I think had Pang andTong had one OGM last time we wouldn't be seeing them. It almost seems like Shen and Zhou stayed around probably for one olympic longer than anticipated because they wanted gold and didn't get it in 2006 due to injury mainly then the Germans thought it was their turn in 2010 but that didn't happen - one wonders if V and T don't win if they too will do what seems to be a trend one or two pairs team seemingly hanging on for oly glory - and in some cases ie P and T, skating on borrowed time. sure we like them to win but it has repercussiosn for other skaters - what is fair, just is not how life or skating works. I am cheering for all new medallists in pairs V and T, a Canadian pair and then whoever - it won't happen we will be probably stuck with P and T and the Germans and then somewhere in the mix V and T. I know it is up to the others to beat the veterans. This olympics though it seems like there will be quite a few skaters who seem mayb kind of stayed beyond their best before dates or do I dare suggest welcome. The German pairs Squared, P and T, Kostner, Joubert, MCkORKELL et al you are well liked, you earned your spots but I hpe you find new horizons. Not to be mean I just would like to see some new blood - and I understand those new talents need to earn it.

bsfan

On the Ice
I totally agree on S/Z. But V/T are younger than S/Z at the time they won gold. And younger than S/S, P/T now if they stay for another 4 years. Plus they haven't been around for long. There are a lot they can do. So if they stay, I would be happy. Just hope they work with other choreographers.

As absolute top skaters in China, S/Z and now P/T, have all the resources to help them prepare for competitions and future life. They won't(didn't) delay on getting college degrees, or building up business relations for after retirement career. Finacially they are very secure. The system is helping them on everything. Plus the system takes care of all the cost. All these, most western skaters have to work on by themselves. That's why I respect S/S. It's not easy for them. Even they are not my favorite, I wish them good luck.