Fumie article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fumie article

jesslily

Final Flight
I don't feel that Sasha's inconsistant jumps are the result of flexible hip. She started tripple jumps at a relatively late age. Michelle had al the tripple when she was 12, and later each year she just got them perfect and consistant. Sasha got her tripple around 14 and 15. It must be very hard to perfect tripple jumps while adjust a rappitly changing body. Plus she took over a year off due to the back injury. When Sasha came back at 2001 Fall's grand prix, she was like total different person than 2000 National's tiny little girl.

Linny

Final Flight
Flexible Hips

I saw an interview with Rory Flack-Burkhardt (I hope I'm spelling this correctly) where she mentioned that she's had the hip flexibility naturally all her life and that no stretching was required.
Linny

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't get why there's such a big rush to get triple jumps at an early age. I visit the USFSA board and I read so many responses to 12 year old beginners how they can't make nationals b/c there are 12 year olds out there who already have triple jumps. Look at Tara Lipinski and Sydne Vogel: they both had triples at an early age yet neither of them can jump their way out of a box now. I don't think that Sasha is at a disadvantage not having triples at 12. Most skaters get them at 12 and then start losing them at 14-15 like so many girls in juniors. I don't think that Sasha is falling on her triples b/c she started landing them at a later age.

jesslily

Final Flight
So what are the reasons that Sasha so far hasn't had a clean performance in major competition? Hip flexibility is not the reason.
I feel getting tripple late and lack of the repitition is one of the reasons.

The second one could be switching to a dance coach. I don't know how good Tarasova is at teaching jumping technique. Obviously she does not have much experience at it. Kulik got his jumps at very early age. He came to her with solid jumps for artistry and choreography. But Sasha got jumps late and she did not get enough instruction of jumping technique from Tarasova.

The 3rd reason could be Sasha naturally is that strong as some of other skaters, such as Michelle, Arakawa, Fumie, and few more.
The naturally jumping ability plays a huge role in your skating career.

soogar

Record Breaker
Sasha has pretty good jumps. I just think she has a hard time with concentration out there. I think that Tatiana Tarasova is probably working with a group of coaches who assist her with things that she's not strong at. Sasha gets decent height and rotation on her jumps. Her jumps aren't cheated. The only jump that's not very good is her lutz jump and Robin will help her with that.

Perhaps she chose Tatiana Tarasova to get an advantage with the international judges. Most of the judging panel is from the former Soviet Union and probably have contact with Tatiana.

Taking lessons from Carlo Fassi put skaters at an advantage with the international judges b/c he could sell his skater. I don't see why it would be different with Tatiana.

jesslily

Final Flight
I agree with you on certain points, such as Tarasova and Fassi are well recognized by the international judges. But Sasha's jumps were getting smaller and smaller since she switched to Tarasova, and flutz got worse and worse. When she took from John Nicks at 2002's national, world, and Olympics her jumps were more textbook right and higher than this year. So I assume Tarasova is not an expert to teach jumps.

We heard that Sasha went to Mass. to take jump lessons for a few days from one of Tarasova's early year coach. But from Sasha's journal and magazine articles she never mentioned that she took jump lesson from anyone who works with Tarasova.