CBC News ticker: Plushenko may not retire after all | Golden Skate

CBC News ticker: Plushenko may not retire after all

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
On the CBC news channel today, on the ticker that scrolls across the bottom of the screen, was a sentence that said that Plushenko may not retire after all. Does anyone else know anything about this?!

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
He's full of crap. I LOVE Plushenko and his arrogance, although I was put off by his withdrawing. But there is no way he is going to make it to age 35 on those knees and with that back. He can say whatever he wants --- that he's going to come back in 2018 blah blah blah --- but it's almost physically impossible. He just likes the attention of leaving it open as a possiblity.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I have to wonder about that. I mean, at some point the body gives out. I wouldn't think he'd be willing to cripple himself for the Russian skating federation. Would he? He's given so much to his country that they couldn't possibly think they can bullwhip him into a lifetime of injury that plague him long after his career finally ends. Could they? And I don't want to see a 40 year old Plushenko getting a bronze for doing waltz jumps and hip swivels. (please take that last comment as the exaggeration it is)

I hope it's referring to possibly competing at this year's Worlds and that is it.

moviechick

On the Ice
It was probably a joke that got lost in translation. As it's been said, there's no way in hell his body holds up. It just barely hung on this time around.

LRK

Record Breaker
When/where is he supposed to have said this?:scratch: I mean, I have seen him make some jokes about how, if they could replace some more body parts, he'd be game, but I don't suppose this is referring to something like that?

Amei

Record Breaker
He can say it all he wants, but he will have to make it to the team the old-fashioned way, winning. They aren't going to give him a special closed-door performance and poof he's on the team. And I don't think the Russian fans are going to be as loving with him if he does comeback; he withdrew and didn't even try to skate his program and left them (on their ice) without a competitor.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
It was probably a joke that got lost in translation. As it's been said, there's no way in hell his body holds up. It just barely hung on this time around.

This would make more sense. I love watching figure skating and other sports but I just can't see how it's worth destroying your body for the rest of your life just for those few moments of glory. Every time I hear of an Olympian who is competing with some sort of barely-healed fractured (one snowboarder still had a cast on her arm) I think they're nuts. I guess that is why I'm not an athlete.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hm. At least Lysacek waited a while before starting rumours of a comeback, and attempting to create buzz/attention around him.

Let me guess... shows up to go for the 2018 Olympics, denies another Russian a spot in the individual and then pulls out again. :sarcasm:

I suspect if the Russian men are mediocre this quadrennial, he'll consider another comeback. After all, he just needs to show up in 2018 and is likely guaranteed a team medal.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I read a MSN headline that he would compete at Pyeongchang. I didn't read the story.

He can say it all he wants, but he will have to make it to the team the old-fashioned way, winning. They aren't going to give him a special closed-door performance and poof he's on the team. And I don't think the Russian fans are going to be as loving with him if he does comeback; he withdrew and didn't even try to skate his program and left them (on their ice) without a competitor.

He made it to 2014 Olympics the old fashioned way, by closed door decision. Seems the Russians and the sports world will do anything to create a legend. Watch him compete with Nathan, Nam, and Boyang. He will "compete" as long as he can wiggle those bionic hips.

moviechick

On the Ice
It's not like he isn't already a legend. I can't believe anyone would risk their health to that extent for some medal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think it would happen. If a 35 year old with a bad back is even in the conversation Russian men will be in very bad shape.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The truth is we will never know why certain skaters have trouble retiring or why they make comebacks. Maybe Plushy meant he is making a comeback in the geriatrics olympics where he will compete against the Protopopovs and Dick Button??? Seriously though so many skaters have trouble moving on. Skating especially with the downfall of professional competitioin and shows really there isn't much a future for skaters other than perhaps skating on a cruise where the pay is minimal but the experience fun for the young and single but not much of a future for a family. The idea of retiring is hard for many athletes. they are use to fame and it is hard to become a regular joe or josephine and sometime they have trouble getting real with education and jobs. Look at Fumie Suguri and unless they do shows, coach or choreograph or luck out like Michael Slipchuk or Victor Kraatz to get an admin job in skating so to speaking or management it is hard to use those skating skills. You can use the work ethics - look at the Hughes sisters. By the way did you see emily at Sochi??? I am sure Plushy knows deep down it is over just like Evan just like Sasha just like Micheele and just like Alissa - all great skaters who have had trouble realizing skating was over,.