Evgeni Plushenko: I don't think Kovtun would've finished any higher than 6th at Olympics | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko: I don't think Kovtun would've finished any higher than 6th at Olympics

volk

Final Flight
Evgeni Plushenko: I don't think Kovtun would've finished any higher than 6th at Olympics

(article in Russian)

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/158247860.html

basically he says it was up to RSF to make that decision and he's just an ordinary skater. He also says that he has enemies that are responsible for negative press against him. One his accusers is Illya Aberbukh.:unsure:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sixth?

Why Plushy, you are being very generous in your old age.

Many will call his comments horrible, but they were really very kind, when Kovtun's record suggests that it would have been a lot, lot, lot, LOT lower than 6th...

(Of COURSE his "negative" comments get their own thread here in a hurry - just like that rubbish about his back surgery - but the positive comments that he makes, such as speaking out against the anti-gay laws - which he did again yesterday - don't...)

volk

Final Flight
Sixth?

Why Plushy, you are being very generous in your old age.

Many will call his comments horrible, but they were really very kind, when Kovtun's record suggests that it would have been a lot, lot, lot, LOT lower than 6th...

(Of COURSE his "negative" comments get their own thread here in a hurry - just like that rubbish about his back surgery - but the positive comments that he makes, such as speaking out against the anti-gay laws - which he did again yesterday - don't...)

Actually he said likely 8th or 9th, but no way higher that 6th

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I was positively STUNNED to hear Plushenko on gay rights. It's not quite the resounding stance against the 'gay propaganda law' that headlines would lead you to believe, but even to offer ANY kind of opposition to the law made my personal estimation of him go up, up, up. As far as I know, he's the ONLY major Russian athlete to offer ANY kind of protest against the law in ANY media. I would be curious if the Russian media has made the general Russian public aware of what he said. In America, reporters would have been all over the story (we do love our controversies here). I'm not a particular fan of Plushenko's skating, but I certainly admire his guts (both on the ice--has there ever been a fiercer competitor than him in figure skating?) and off it. I think that deserves a giant wave of my big gay rainbow flag. :)

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sixth is generous. He is being nice. He was 5th at euros so I don't even know.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was positively STUNNED to hear Plushenko on gay rights. It's not quite the resounding stance against the 'gay propaganda law' that headlines would lead you to believe, but even to offer ANY kind of opposition to the law made my personal estimation of him go up, up, up. As far as I know, he's the ONLY major Russian athlete to offer ANY kind of protest against the law in ANY media. I would be curious if the Russian media has made the general Russian public aware of what he said. In America, reporters would have been all over the story (we do love our controversies here). I'm not a particular fan of Plushenko's skating, but I certainly admire his guts (both on the ice--has there ever been a fiercer competitor than him in figure skating?) and off it. I think that deserves a giant wave of my big gay rainbow flag. :)

He also signed a petition against the law last year. His stance isn't new, nor is him making it public new.

It's just "cooler" to have him as the Evil Russian Bad Guy.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
He also signed a petition against the law last year. His stance isn't new, nor is him making it public new.

It's just "cooler" to have him as the Evil Russian Bad Guy.

I was aware of the petition, but I thought was strictly in regards to the St Petersberg law. And I wasn't aware he had signed it--so bad on me. But very good on Plushenko. That takes real cujones.

ETA: Eh, I think a lot of the Kovtun utterances is just trash talking. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

andyjo24

Medalist
If Kovtun went clean, I wouldn't be surprised that he would beat Chan, or maybe even Hanyu. He would also receive 90+ PCS for sure.:slink:

Puchi

On the Ice
That takes real cujones.

Totally off topic, but I've seen many people using this expression (also cajones) and the correct spelling (in Spanish) is c o j o n e s. ;)

ETA: or perhaps people are deliberately misspelling it 'cause it's considered a bad word?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Totally off topic, but I've seen many people using this expression (also cajones) and the correct spelling (in Spanish) is c o j o n e s. ;)

ETA: or perhaps people are deliberately misspelling it 'cause it's considered a bad word?

Yes. LOL. That way it won't be picked up on a word search. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

wootie

Match Penalty
Um, I think it's very likely he would have placed higher than 6th. Let's not forget, Russian skaters pretty much got +20 points just for being Russian. Kovtun may have gotten on that podium with all the blatantly corrupt judging that happened.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Russia had bought all the golds before the Games minus the dance which they just couldnt get away with. So had Kovtun skated he likely would have won, just as Plushenko, Voronov, or Menshov would have.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I saw the interview on tv and I think Kovtun issue is a minor spot in his whole interview, I m glad he is happy and calm.