Pro Skating: Is it Still Around? | Golden Skate

Pro Skating: Is it Still Around?

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Maybe I should post this in the Stupid Questions Thread but then I guess it will be moved there :biggrin:

Most of the skaters I used to watch retire this season so I wonder where they could be seen later on. What about pro skating? Is it still around? Not like I'm going to go to see any events but I'd appreciate if you give me useful key words for youtube :)

Thanks in advance :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
At the moment, our hope of a pro-skating event that is sanctioned by the ISU lies in Japan's hands.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
At the moment, our hope of a pro-skating event that is sanctioned by the ISU lies in Japan's hands.

Why?
I mean, I haven't heard the story about a pro event possibly around soon that you are referring to. Sorry :)

cooper

Medalist
i thought there was a pro skating in the 90's?? and speedy didn't like the idea back then.. correct me i'm wrong..

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
IMO the ISU should hold four Pro-Grand Prix events every season & take away the team event at the Olympics for a Pro-event. Say in singles a two triple jump maximum plus double axel for each program.
I would love to see the likes of Arakawa V Kim or Kwan V Yamaguchi.
The ISU could make a lot of money with these events.
I really miss the World Pro Championships & Challenge Of Champions.
It will never happen though.

cooper

Medalist
so.. what happened to scott hamilton's idea?? there was a plan about a pro-skating stuff.. sort of.. :confused:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
i thought there was a pro skating in the 90's?? and speedy didn't like the idea back then.. correct me i'm wrong..

There were definitely pro competitions in the 90's and some great performances came out of them! I don't know what speedy's issue was, though, except that he seems to be opposed on principle to anything that promotes or enhances figure skating's image/popularity. Grrr...

i thought speedy said yes to it.. :confused:

Speedy gave the green light to Scott to explore the idea with potential sponsors. Nothing came of it. I assume that Scott's group was no able to raise the money.

cooper said:

It wasn't that Cinquanta didn't like pro skating, he wanted to control it. The World Professional Figure Skating Championship was a wonderful event, going back to 1973. This was the "Landover (Maryland)" event, organized by Dick Button. Over the years the winners were skaters such as Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Debi Thomas, Denise Biellmann, Kristi Yamaguchi, Midori Ito, Yuka Sato; Scott Hamilton, Robin Cousins, Brian Boitano, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning; Belousova and Protopopov, Underhill and Martini, Gordeeva and Grinkov; Torvill and Dean, Wilson and McCall, Bestimianova and Bukin, etc.

But after the attack on Nancy Kerrigan in 1994 and the subsequent spike in popularity of the sport, more and more pro competitions were held. They became increasingly silly and cheesy, with the same skaters doing the same routines every week on TV, and no one taking the "competition" aspect seriously. By 1998 the IOC rules on amateurism had relaxed to the point where Olympic eligible skaters were allowed to compete in pro competitions. The organizers of pro competitions were eager to get skaters like Michelle Kwan Kwan and Alexei Yagudin, and Cinquanta decreed that if eligible skaters competed alongside pros, then the competition would have to follow ISU rules and be judged by ISU judges.

Some of the pros objected and refused to participate (four-time pro champion Kristi Yamaguchi, for instance). In 1998, the first year of the pro-am format, the winners were Kwan, Yagudin, Kazakova and Dmitriev, and Usova and Platov (although Kurt Browning won the second program with his "clown" routine and came within a whisker of upsetting Yagudin overall.)

After a couple years of this interest waned and Dick Button sold out his interest. But the buyers never got it together and pro skating in the U.S. was dead.

Now the only major pro-am event is the Japan Open. This began in 1997 and is still going strong. The first individual winners were Michelle Kwan, Ilya Kulik, Meno and Sand, and Grishuk and Platov. Somewhere along the way it changed to a team event, Japan versus Europe versus North Amerrica. Last year (2013) team Japan won with Kozuka, Takahashi, Asada and Murakami. The problem with the pro-am format, using ISU competition rules and scoring, is that the old pros don't have a chance against the current Olympians. For instance, on "team Europe" last year the ladies European team team featured future Olympic gold medalist Adelina Sotnikova (she scored 105 points in her program) and crowd favorite Irina Slutskaya, who could manage only 69 points.

PftJump

On the Ice
There's no new market.

Nevertheless, they (US, Canada, EU&Russia, Japan) have no intension of dissolving the CARTEL.

FS is A League of Their Own.

cooper

Medalist
Speedy gave the green light to Scott to explore the idea with potential sponsors. Nothing came of it. I assume that Scott's group was no able to raise the money.

It wasn't that Cinquanta didn't like pro skating, he wanted to control it. The World Professional Figure Skating Championship was a wonderful event, going back to 1973. This was the "Landover (Maryland)" event, organized by Dick Button. Over the years the winners were skaters such as Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Debi Thomas, Denise Biellmann, Kristi Yamaguchi, Midori Ito, Yuka Sato; Scott Hamilton, Robin Cousins, Brian Boitano, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning; Belousova and Protopopov, Underhill and Martini, Gordeeva and Grinkov; Torvill and Dean, Wilson and McCall, Bestimianova and Bukin, etc.

But after the attack on Nancy Kerrigan in 1994 and the subsequent spike in popularity of the sport, more and more pro competitions were held. They became increasingly silly and cheesy, with the same skaters doing the same routines every week on TV, and no one taking the "competition" aspect seriously. By 1998 the IOC rules on amateurism had relaxed to the point where Olympic eligible skaters were allowed to compete in pro competitions. The organizers of pro competitions were eager to get skaters like Michelle Kwan Kwan and Alexei Yagudin, and Cinquanta decreed that if eligible skaters competed alongside pros, then the competition would have to follow ISU rules and be judged by ISU judges.

Some of the pros objected and refused to participate (four-time pro champion Kristi Yamaguchi, for instance). In 1998, the first year of the pro-am format, the winners were Kwan, Yagudin, Kazakova and Dmitriev, and Usova and Platov (although Kurt Browning won the second program with his "clown" routine and came within a whisker of upsetting Yagudin overall.)

After a couple years of this interest waned and Dick Button sold out his interest. But the buyers never got it together and pro skating in the U.S. was dead.

Now the only major pro-am event is the Japan Open. This began in 1997 and is still going strong. The first individual winners were Michelle Kwan, Ilya Kulik, Meno and Sand, and Grishuk and Platov. Somewhere along the way it changed to a team event, Japan versus Europe versus North Amerrica. Last year (2013) team Japan won with Kozuka, Takahashi, Asada and Murakami. The problem with the pro-am format, using ISU competition rules and scoring, is that the old pros don't have a chance against the current Olympians. For instance, on "team Europe" last year the ladies European team team featured future Olympic gold medalist Adelina Sotnikova (she scored 105 points in her program) and crowd favorite Irina Slutskaya, who could manage only 69 points.

in short not only speedy killed the pro am.. but also figure skating in general.. lol..

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
There were definitely pro competitions in the 90's and some great performances came out of them!

Agreed! My favorite was the Ito "Rose of Pain" going head-to-head against Kristi's "Madame Butterfly". Both were skated with more artistry than their amateur programs and they still had all the jumps.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Agreed! My favorite was the Ito "Rose of Pain" going head-to-head against Kristi's "Madame Butterfly". Both were skated with more artistry than their amateur programs and they still had all the jumps.

Midori Ito doing the best triple axel I've seen her do in a pro event was so wow. She looked so happy there and such a better program than in her amateur career. Yuka Sato's best competitive programs were in the pros too. I remember a Kitaro program I loved and Spartacus.

The main thing I remember is Sandea Bezic covering one event and whining that a Yamaguchi program she choreographed wasn't getting higher marks. She's an awful commentator.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia

Thanks a lot for this history recap. I've been watching videos on youtube without a proper picture where they come from but this is kind of putting everything in place... and there's quite a bit to think about :eek:hwell:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Mathman, you are a gold mine of information! And you can do statistics, too... :bow:

But seriously, I had no idea the Landover event went as far back as the '70's. Definitely remember watching it on TV in the 90s, which was when I discovered Underhill & Martini -- their "When A Man Loves A Woman" program from one of those competitions is one of the best ever, IMO. It's also true, though, that after a while there was just too much, the quality declined, and things generally went downhill.

Re: Speedy, no sense in me getting started on that. It's getting a bit late and I haven't had dinner!

Angryyew

Rinkside
I miss the pro comps as well. Sure they got ridiculous in the post nancy/Tonya era, but even at their worst they weren't as cheesy as the few skating shows that make it to TV these days.

I thought quite a few pros had some of their most interesting artistic performances during their pro careers. A big part of the appeal was the relaxed rules, which allowed skaters a lot more freedom to experiment. Some just skated the usual fun routines to pop music or focused on tricks, but my favorites were the skaters that really pushed themselves to come up with new and creative routines. Forcing them into ISU amateur style rules was counterproductive to what made the pro comps fun.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Does the World Team Challenge still happen ?
Last time I saw it was before the 2006 Olympics.
With Sale/Pelletier, Jennifer Robinson & Oksana Baiul.
I really enjoyed that.