Polina Edmunds shows promise | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds shows promise

Barb

Record Breaker
I agree with the post that Polina has no hook. Shes a decent jumper but not a powerful jumper. She has no real flexibility or wow factor. As far as packaging is kinda in between. Not super cute nor stunning.

I think her artistry gets overrated because ppl know its a necessary thing for her to be competitive, so they have to try hard to sell her as uber artistic. I think shes somewhat conflicted over whether to go more mature or do programs with sugar fairies.

I am impressed because her beautiful lines, the best in the actual field. She reminds me of Mao and Lucinda R., so elegant, I hope she can to maintain her jumps.

cooper

Medalist
I agree with the post that Polina has no hook. Shes a decent jumper but not a powerful jumper. She has no real flexibility or wow factor. As far as packaging is kinda in between. Not super cute nor stunning.

I think her artistry gets overrated because ppl know its a necessary thing for her to be competitive, so they have to try hard to sell her as uber artistic. I think shes somewhat conflicted over whether to go more mature or do programs with sugar fairies.

and so it begins..... :popcorn:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Edmunds' body type and elegance across the ice reminds me of another Polina, guess who?:cry:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Eh, I still prefer GG, though her packaging is starting to verge on IcePrincessTM. I was impressed with PE's skating this past season. But I prefer a stronger more athletic or sharper presentation. PE skates with a very languid and willowy presence, very nondistinct. However seven triples and 2 3/3s per program can't be ignored. But she has so much potential. It would not surprise me if PE takes over GG this season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Shes a decent jumper but not a powerful jumper. As far as packaging is kinda in between. Not super cute nor stunning.

Uh.... Decent but not a powerful jumper? Overrated artistry in order to be considered uber artistic? Caught inbetween juvenile and mature? I could have sworn you were referring to a certain other skater. ;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uh.... Decent but not a powerful jumper? Overrated artistry in order to be considered uber artistic? Caught inbetween juvenile and mature? I could have sworn you were referring to a certain other skater. ;)

I know right..... I found it über annoying having to fend off these often overly critical claims last season toward her too. The thing that makes it so easy for me to be a big fan of both is how different the two skaters are from each other. Polina has big jumps and its hard to say that isn't so. Yulia has a certain flow out of her jumps that make up for her lack of height. I honestly really like both and if Yulia fumbles around in CoC Polina is going to be right there to play spoiler. A similar role played by Yulia just last season. I think though the Americans are going to be the first to be challenged and potentially overtaken. In other words :popcorn: all around.

YLFan

Match Penalty
The thing is the only way girls like Polina and Gold can beat Yulia is if she has a really bad skate. Thats why I don't look at them as competitors or hope for them to falter like many people do for Yulia. I would rather have Yulia and her competitors skate clean and for Yulia to win that way.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would rather have Yulia and her competitors skate clean and for Yulia to win that way.
I agree with this. I wouldn't sell the American girls short though. They can put up some big scores themselves. It's not going to stop me from rooting for them anyway. A good skate is a special thing to see. No matter who does it IMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not sure YL is being threatened by either American at this point, but really, she is in the same boat as Edmunds in terms of being still young and not fully grown up/filled out yet. Another concern might be her extreme flexibility and whether it could lead to injury problems down the road (Cohen, for example)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is so great about YL to begin with except for her consistency? Her jumps are tiny and she has no artistic range as a skater at the moment. She can't skate to anything but serious music simply because she always has a serious look on her face which seems to be mistaken for real emotion when in fact it is the only look she seems to have on her face because i don't think she can smile.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is so great about YL to begin with except for her consistency? Her jumps are tiny and she has no artistic range as a skater at the moment. She can't skate to anything but serious music simply because she always has a serious look on her face which seems to be mistaken for real emotion when in fact it is the only look she seems to have on her face because i don't think she can smile.

This is a thread about Polina. :bang:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The thing is the only way girls like Polina and Gold can beat Yulia is if she has a really bad skate. Thats why I don't look at them as competitors or hope for them to falter like many people do for Yulia. I would rather have Yulia and her competitors skate clean and for Yulia to win that way.

I don't think most of us actually HOPE for skaters to falter. Also, if Yulia and her competitors skate clean or close to it, Yulia could still lose (I mean, Sotnikova is a prime example).

Given that Polina has two 3-3 combos, a 2 lutzes and 2 flips, she could certainly beat Julia once her PCS starts rising this season (like Julia last season, she could also have quick increases in PCS if she continues to be consistent). If Julia ever skates like at Sochi (individual) or Cup of Russia, or even Worlds (which was substandard for her) she could possibly be edged out by a clean Gold/Edmunds.

Also, not every competition will be in Sochi or Cup of Russia, so I think if Polina competed against Julia, the PCS scores might be a lot closer than one might expect.

Either way, both are wonderful skaters, and it's nice to see 7-triple performances again... especially from US skaters.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Why is everyone forgetting that it's post Olympics season and PCS is not going up as much as 2013-2014 season? :scratch:

shine

Record Breaker
You don't get it. What I mean is, USA fed should invest more in Polina. She needs some wow factor program, the program that will help her stand out even if she isn't on the podium. A signature one. Yulia team has that. Polina team? I don't think so.
You don't get it. Yulia's team has a so called "signature program" simply because they happened to have made a very smart strategic choice with Schindler's List at the right time. Whether they will continue to make good strategic choices remains to be seen. You may be more easily impressed by flexibility and this type of "signature programs", but I personally don't need them to be impressed by a skater, nor do I believe that's the only way to get to the top. Great skating skills, solid jumping technique, true musicality and a real understanding of movement will very likely win out at the end.

ROFL. You truly believe YL is that superior a skater, don't you? Some people believe so much in PCS and reputation judging it's getting really funny. How about let's wait and see what happens to the edge that Lip has over thte rest when 1) Russian politicking wears off (e.g. Olympics are over, and they need to start spreading their clout more evenly among all the Russian youngsters as they join the scene and start proving themselves), 2) when Edmunds has had more experience and reputation on the international scene, or 3) Gold starts to skate more consistently (less likely, but shouldn't be ruled out).

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think the thing to remember with such young skaters is that it could take a turn for the worse at about anytime. That is why it is so important to enjoy it while last. The whole stop and smell the roses cliché :)

I'm not afraid to say this girl is a threat at this point and going forward. :popcorn:

Fertilizer happens when you least expect it and I'm not counting any chickens. Just hoping to see Polina develop & mature -- also hoping to be wowed by Yulia on the artistic side! :biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do agree that the PCS ceiling for the very top skaters will lower a bit.

But Polina's PCS will go up because she was a newbie last season. Newbies get lowballed in PCS until they can show they are consistently competitive with the top skaters. It isn't that her scores will rise spectacularly, but that there will not be such a huge PCS gap with the top skaters when Polina outskates them technically as she did at 2014 Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why is everyone forgetting that it's post Olympics season and PCS is not going up as much as 2013-2014 season? :scratch:

Oh, I'm well aware that PCS won't see the dramatic increases in a post-Olympics year that it saw last season, however if Edmunds gives continuously consistent performances, her PCS should clear 30 (SP) and 67 (LP) range by the end of the season. Obviously there's no way she'll clear 33/70 by the end of the season, and I think that doesn't just have to do with Olympic season so much as a lack of opportunities to benefit from home ice scoring the way many of the Russians and some of the Japanese did last season.

I agree with chuckm that as a newbie Polina was lowballed, similar to how Pogorilaya was lowballed at Worlds even though everyone knows she should have earned bronze. It's an unfortunate double standard, almost like most new skaters need to "learn the ropes" or "have it hard" before they can actually start getting credited with deserving scores.