Sasha and Robin | Golden Skate

Sasha and Robin

mzheng

Record Breaker
Inspired by 'Sasha and TT' thread in worlds fold. I start this thread here.

Rewatche the 2004 worlds tape, I was shocked how much time ABC gave Robin in Sasha's fluffy piece. It almost looks like Robin was the main role in the piece. A lot of shoots with Robin's face directly faced the camera while Sasha's side or back face to the camera.

Any thought?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have read that Robin is a publicity hound. That's weird, though. The fluff was about Sasha and Robin, not Robin and Sasha. After all, it is Sasha out there on the ice WITHOUT Robin.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Maybe the focus on Robin will, in the end, help Sasha. Less attention on Sasha might help with her concentration. Or is this wishful thinking?

Dizzy

It was difficult to see Sarah without Robin. take thje Grea Neck Parade to honor Sarah. Robin was right there soaking up the allocades.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Well Robin did say in a press conference how much she loved the media. That said, I did like the fluff piece b/c it focused on the big change Sasha made in her life to go to Robin and I thought it was appropriate that it focused on Robin. Sarah was so media shy during her competitive career that I don't remember a lot of fluff involving Robin. Now Robin is with a big time skater who gets a lot of publicity and she's going to love every second of it. If she can fulfill the public's expectations and lead Sasha to that Gold medal in Turin, Robin would hit the zenith of her career. She'll be set for life in terms of getting students, earning power etc.

euterpe

Medalist
Robin doesn't NEED the money she earns from coaching---she's independently wealthy. That's why she never had students other than Sarah, didn't train Sarah's sister Emily, and had no students at all once Sarah decided she didn't want to skate any more.

For Robin, the attraction of coaching high-level competition skaters like Sarah and Sasha is the fame and media attention that comes with the job---money has nothing to do with it.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
euterpe said:
For Robin, the attraction of coaching high-level competition skaters like Sarah and Sasha is the fame and media attention that comes with the job---money has nothing to do with it.
Ummm... Could it also be proffessional satisfaction? Pride at one's own accomplishments? wanting "fame and attention" somehow sounds rather nasty.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Ummm... Could it also be proffessional satisfaction? Pride at one's own accomplishments? wanting "fame and attention" somehow sounds rather nasty.

I agree. Maybe she doesn't enjoy teaching 5 year old beginners. Can't blame her. When I was teaching voice, I refused to teach kids under the age of 12. Part of that was because I came to believe that the voice wasn't really developed enough for the kind of technical teaching I did, but equally it was because I just could not stand to teach young kids. They got on my nerves during lessons. I know that sounds awful, but that's how I felt. (To clarify, young kids in general don't get on my nerves--unless they're brats!) I got a lot more professional satisfaction out of teaching teens and adults because the results were a lot more obvious. :eek:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I think that the fluff peice focused on Robin so much because she has become such a presence in Sasha's life. They were living together leading up to worlds, and sasha has said many times that the transition to Robin from TT has been very satisfying because she can communicate and identify with her more easily. I also think they wanted to show that Robin is ON THE ICE with sasha during practice. I cant imagine how much more helpful that type of direction must be, in comparison to TT sitting on the edge under mountains of sable and chinchilla.

It will be interesting to see how Sasha develops under Robins training... I hope they look for another choreographer, or that Sasha will play a larger role in designing the artistic elements of her program ( I really enjoyed her SLC programs that she co-choreographed).

soogar

Record Breaker
Fame is a legitimate thing for a coach to seek. If she's successful with Sasha, she'll have her pick of top talent.

Becca84

Rinkside
I enjoyed the piece of fluff on Sasha & Robin. I hope they can work well together, & Robin can hopefully help Sasha overcome her nerves! Sasha is such a beautiful/gracefull skater & when she has a perfect program it would be nearly imbossible to beat her IMHO. I just hope the choreography doesn't get watered down like it seemed at Worlds (LP)...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Fame is a legitimate thing for a coach to seek. If she's successful with Sasha, she'll have her pick of top talent.

I would think that having been the coach of an OGM, she would already have achieved that status! :D

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Longhornliz said:
I also think they wanted to show that Robin is ON THE ICE with sasha during practice. I cant imagine how much more helpful that type of direction must be, in comparison to TT sitting on the edge under mountains of sable and chinchilla.
What does TT sitting on the edge under mountains of sable and chinchillaha have to do with her coaching. Now I could understand if you commented that Robin coaches better by being on the ice with her skater than Tatiana does by standing on the sidelines. Let's see Tatiana coached the male Olympic gold medalist and the 04 World gold medalist by standing on the sidelines. Interesting??

Dee

Kateri

On the Ice
In the tarasova thread it was said that TT only stopped getting on the ice with her skaters in the last few years, as she was finding it harder to keep up - which is fair enough, really!

I think it's a little unfair to compare her with RW in this regard.
It's not a coaching attitude thing if she (TT) used to do it when she could.

k

dizzydi

On the Ice
"What does TT sitting on the edge under mountains of sable and chinchillaha have to do with her coaching."

Perhaps the poster meant that TT was somehow cutting herself off from the skater by burying herself in her coat on the sidelines? TT's style of coaching works for some skater and not others.

Although TT has been extremely successful in the past with other OGM skaters, it doesn't mean she was the best coach for Sasha. After all, TT isn't the only person who coached OGM skaters.

I think the magic combination of skater and coach is hard to find. Also taken into consideration would be many factors including personality of both coach and skater. The tricky part is finding out whether the skater and coach work well together. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to try the combination.

As far as Sasha and Robin goes, time will tell.

Dizzy

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I wasnt debating TT's record for producing excellent skaters. But it is obvious that she is past her physical prime and can no longer contribute models for sasha to replicate. I didnt mean to imply that robin was a better coach... but I cant see how its not obvious that robin being out on the ice is an advantage compared to just verbal instruction.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
TT's coaching style

This discussion reminds me of what I've read in TT's autobiography. She talked about how one time her father (the legendary hockey coach) came to her rink, and saw her on the sidelines instead of on the ice. She says that he left in disgust and didn't talk to her for days.

Every coach has a different style. Of the legendary Russian coaches I believe only Moskvina and possibly Dubova get on the ice with their students.

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
I think Robin is a naturally enthusiastic and demonstrative person who dedicates herself to one primary student and establishes a close relationship with that person. Her personality and approach may not be right for every student, but it seemed to work for Sarah and seems to be working for Sasha and that is what ultimately counts.

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
and possibly Dubova get on the ice with their students.
I took one lesson once with Dubova. I don't know why she did it, desperate for money maybe. :laugh: For me, it was sheer hell, like sending a kid who's having trouble with basic algebra to Einstein for tutoring. I was in way over my head and miserable. Anyway, Natalia walked around on the ice in sneakers, and had 4th place finisher from worlds demonstrate edging, etc... Humiliated, I tried to spread the false rumor that she wasn't a Russian skating star at all, and that she was actually Natalie DeBova from Queens and that she couldn't even skate but was pulling the wool over the eyes of the Lake Placid training centre. :laugh: