Kevin Reynolds | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Kevin Reynolds

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Article on his withdrawal: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/2...-out-of-canadian-figure-skating-championships According to this, it's because of hip injury. He might need surgery. However, he is aiming to come back and continue competing.

I haven't been following Canadian Nationals - and hearing what happened to Kevin, 12th after a devastating SP, I'm honestly glad I wasn't. I feel so for him! Any idea what happened to cause this? And what the prospects for the LP are?
There is a... video on Youtube, if you can stand to watch it... (I won't link directly). But long story short, he fell and underrotated all three jumping passes (no combo), and then had a misstep in his StSq, which seemed to make him forget the program. :no: Perhaps I'm being cruel, to even talk about these things, but it's not something that should just be ignored or forgotten.

I hope Kevin really figures out what is going on, and will get himself together to fight for a spot on the Canadian team again.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Article on his withdrawal: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/2...-out-of-canadian-figure-skating-championships According to this, it's because of hip injury. He might need surgery. However, he is aiming to come back and continue competing.

There is a... video on Youtube, if you can stand to watch it... (I won't link directly). But long story short, he fell and underrotated all three jumping passes (no combo), and then had a misstep in his StSq, which seemed to make him forget the program. :no: Perhaps I'm being cruel, to even talk about these things, but it's not something that should just be ignored or forgotten.

I hope Kevin really figures out what is going on, and will get himself together to fight for a spot on the Canadian team again.

oh, God..this is really a tragedy... this is really a nightmare.. ..I would like to see him in next season!!!! Go Kevin ! You can do it!

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Kevin is a fighter and I believe he will come back. However, I don't know if there'll be spots for him next season... It looks like the Worlds team will be Nam and Jeremy Ten, and as much as I loved Nam and appreciated Jeremy, it would take a mini-miracle to bring back three spots.

kresslia

Medalist
His best bet would be 2017 Worlds I suppose, we should hopefully be able to get 3 spots back for that. Next year's World team will almost certainly be Patrick and Nam, or just Patrick if *shudder* we lose a spot this year at Worlds. Crazy to think that's actually the year before the Olympics...

I sincerely hope he comes back. He was really on a roll for a while before all these damn boot troubles screwed everything up. I feel as though men's skating is quite wide open atm aside from Yuzuru and Javier to a lesser extent, so he could really make an impact with some training under his belt and, of course, good boots. You never know.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He can never catch a break. When I found he might need surgery, I dropped my phone onto my bag and felt shocked. I hope he recovers and gets this treated ASAP.

It's so unreal and unfair on how many problems he's having.

I hope the hip injury isn't career-ending. That's now my main worry.

Hopefully one the hip issue and everything else gets fixed, it'll be "HIP-HIP-hooray" from there.

I'm going to have to really put all my faith and prayers out.

I'm hoping this will be the END of his problems. He's been through enough and doesn't need ANYMORE problems to be in his way.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Kevin is a fighter and I believe he will come back. However, I don't know if there'll be spots for him next season... It looks like the Worlds team will be Nam and Jeremy Ten, and as much as I loved Nam and appreciated Jeremy, it would take a mini-miracle to bring back three spots.

Nam will be the one we're going to be counting on most likely.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wrote this on my Facebook last night expressing my opinion of being a true fan. Kinda aimed it towards Kevin, but this could be in general in my opinion:

You know you're a true fan of a skater when NO MATTER how much he/she messes up, NO MATTER how many times the scores are not good, NO MATTER how many problems he/she faces and you want to take those problems away from them and wish some of them on you and not them, NO MATTER how many breakdowns in their programs, NO MATTER how much people talk schnitzel about them, NO MATTER how many times people throw them aside thinking, "He/she will never make it to the very top," NO MATTER how many less medals they have achieved than other top-ranked skaters, NO MATTER how many elements of skating are not their fortes, NO MATTER any more that I might have missed......You still love them for the very same reason that made you become a fan of them and possibly more since that time. You still think they're amazing in your eyes, You still support them even with horrible results. You still are PROUD of them for going out there and skating even if it was one that they're not proud of and you find it painful to watch it again because you feel so horrible and sad for them. You still want to see them skate in person. You still want to meet them and thank them for the positivity they brought in your life.
That's how you know you're a true fan of a skater.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Cheerknithanson, that's not a definition of a "true fan", which needs not be defined. It is a true believer. It is how you should feel about yourself.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Do you want me to delete it? If you do, I'll do so and replace it.

I won't be offended.

No, I am not always right and I don't make decision for you. We are both free to post our opinions here. You wear your emotions on your sleeve and express your feelings and vulnerability openly and honestly. So sometimes I respond by offering other options for you to consider and open your mind to.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I am not always right and I don't make decision for you. We are both free to post our opinions here. You wear your emotions on your sleeve and express your feelings and vulnerability openly and honestly. So sometimes I respond by offering other options for you to consider and open your mind to.

I changed it to having an intro to it saying "In my opinion"

LRK

Record Breaker
@cheerknithanson - I thought your post was very lovely! and it really spoke to me.

@Sandpiper - No, I don't think I want to see that - it sounds horrible! Especially since I love that SP - and I'm very fond of Kevin and don't want to see him go through that. If I had been watching the competition, I'd feel a kind of... obligation to stick it out, in solidarity with him. Though that may sound strange, it's how I feel. But to go and "in cold blood" subject myself to it... I think I'd rather not.

Sigh. Again. I wish the best for Kevin. I too was hoping this would be "his" season as Canada's No 1 - but it was not to be. I too believe he is a fighter, and will come through this.

We believe in you, Kevin!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Kevin does need surgery, I wish and pray so hard that his recovery will be fast and that he can finally train the way that will be suitable to finally get redemption. He had a brief showing of potential from the 2013 4CC and 2013 Worlds. Once he gets back, his long overdue redemption will happen.

I know that I don't know if that will happen or not, but I'm trying put positive thoughts (Though my mindset is to be careful on putting out too many positive hopes out due to know knowing and don't want to get myself disappointed) so we can try to enforce our hopes and are thoughts on what could happen.

He's been through enough and I hope this will be the end of the list of problems for him. It's for those to be all solved and for him to skate to the highest level as possible.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Today marks one year since Kevin's amazing Free Program at the team event at the Olympics. And also one year since I became a fan of him. One full revolution around the sun long. Wow. Time flies so fast.

Makes me hope so hard that he'll be back to awesome condition soon and skate so well that skeptics will be proven dead wrong.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Icenetwork has a couple of updates on Kevin

Reynolds: "It is an injury that I have been dealing with for a long time. ... I will work closely with my medical team on my recovery."

https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/593430966569304064

and

Kevin Reynolds underwent arthroscopic surgery on his hip earlier this month to repair a labral tear, as per a @SkateCanada press release.

https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/593430095529779200

Also, the press release

http://www.skatecanada.ca/2015/04/kevin-reynolds-recovering-from-hip-surgery/

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Icenetwork has a couple of updates on Kevin

Reynolds: "It is an injury that I have been dealing with for a long time. ... I will work closely with my medical team on my recovery."

https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/593430966569304064

and

Kevin Reynolds underwent arthroscopic surgery on his hip earlier this month to repair a labral tear, as per a @SkateCanada press release.

https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/593430095529779200

Also, the press release

http://www.skatecanada.ca/2015/04/kevin-reynolds-recovering-from-hip-surgery/

I'm praying he'll come back stronger than before.

I don't know if I'm getting an eensy headache from worry over this or from a lab final I took.

Either way my heart dropped in worry.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm praying he'll come back stronger than before.

I don't know if I'm getting an eensy headache from worry over this or from a lab final I took.

Either way my heart dropped in worry.

I know people would like to avoid surgery if they could, but... Look at it this way. This has been plaguing him for years, and preventing him from skating optimally. Let's hope that this will take care of the problem once and for all - even if the recovery time will take longer. And then, as he says, he can "return to skating with a renewed sense of freedom.”