Skaters and Long Term Hip Injuries | Golden Skate

Skaters and Long Term Hip Injuries

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I looked up Todd Eldridge on Wikipedia (since I brought him up in the Greatest Skaters Not to Medal thread) and I saw that he had hip replacement surgery in April 2012. Michelle, Tara, Naoimi Nari, Alyssa and others had surgery to repair torn labrums. Do ongoing hip problems affect the lives of skaters long after they retire, or do they not affect their lives as much once they are done with intense training?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wonder about someone like Michelle, who had the surgery in 2006 and actually got some of her triples back in her aborted attempt at a comeback. Does she wake up in pain everyday now or is she pain free?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I wonder about someone like Michelle, who had the surgery in 2006 and actually got some of her triples back in her aborted attempt at a comeback. Does she wake up in pain everyday now or is she pain free?
I think--I would hope--Michelle should be okay. She traces that hip injury back to in 2002, and still managed to compete for another three years on it (she probably should've fixed the hip sooner). And she actually got some triples back many years later; no doubt her talent and hard work played a part, but I think it would be difficult if the hip were still bothering her.

The thing is, if Michelle wakes up every day and still feels pain :)cry:)... how would someone like Alexei Yagudin or Tara Lipinski feel? Pretty awful to contemplate...

Meoima

Match Penalty
The thing is, if Michelle wakes up every day and still feels pain :)cry:)... how would someone like Alexei Yagudin or Tara Lipinski feel? Pretty awful to contemplate...
Well, Alexei and Tara must have took it really hard. I remember Alexei cried so much at Skate Canada. And Tara. She can skate, but not jump anymore I suppose. Never see her jumps after she was injured.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think--I would hope--Michelle should be okay. She traces that hip injury back to in 2002, and still managed to compete for another three years on it (she probably should've fixed the hip sooner). And she actually got some triples back many years later; no doubt her talent and hard work played a part, but I think it would be difficult if the hip were still bothering her.

I'd hope so too. I imagine having your hip replaced is something that you never fully recover from 100% in regards to pain, strength, and range of motion. However, I'm not sure what all is involved with the labrum surgery and if the typical prognosis is full recovery.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Tessa Virtue has a hip injury too, doesn´t she? I remember Matina talking about it after Sochi when she was asked if she think V/M will continue...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Tessa Virtue has a hip injury too, doesn´t she? I remember Matina talking about it after Sochi when she was asked if she think V/M will continue...
Tessa had surgeries on her legs, someone said so IIRC.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Skating is obviously hard on the hips with all the repetitive stress and abnormal positions. Sometimes the hip joint sockets aren't formed correctly from birth, which I think was the case with Alexei and Naomi. I think it's possible that other skaters could have had some degree of hip dysplasia, that is abnormal shape or too shallow hip joint socket, which predisposed them to injury.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would say yes considering Todd retired after SLC in 2002.

True, but thankfully he skated as a pro (and with SOI for 11 years)! If he had medalled in the 1998 Nagano Olympics, I think he might have gone pro then (although that was also the time when there were the pro--am events). He decided to take off 2 seasons from Olympic-eligible competition (Nationals, Worlds, although he did do a GP event in one of those years). He also could have gone to 2002 Worlds, as he made the US team for it, but opted to join SOI right after SLC. That way Matt Savoie got to compete there.

I think the hip injuries had a more severe long term impact on Alexei & Tara. In Alexei's case in particular, since he really wanted to keep competing, but couldn't

noskates

Record Breaker
Kurt Browning comes to mind and his back injuries. I don't know that he had surgery but I do know that his back was an issue before the Olys. I think the force of landing some of those triples just takes its toll. OH - Tim Goebel - same thing

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Kurt Browning comes to mind and his back injuries. I don't know that he had surgery but I do know that his back was an issue before the Olys. I think the force of landing some of those triples just takes its toll. OH - Tim Goebel - same thing

I definitely thought of Tim. All of those quads. Jumping really takes it's toll in the back/hips/knees

Meoima

Match Penalty
Come to think of it, anyone has any information about Goebel after he retired? :cry:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Wasn't it a hip injury that caused Goebel to withdraw from 1998 Jr. Worlds back when he was 17?

noskates

Record Breaker
There was an article in one of the skating magazines in the past year about where Tim Goebel is now. He got a degree in mathematics or computer science and is working in that field. Apparently he is a pretty intelligent guy. Wish I could remember more but I was left with the thought that he was doing very well for himself. There IS life after skating!

Meoima

Match Penalty
There was an article in one of the skating magazines in the past year about where Tim Goebel is now. He got a degree in mathematics or computer science and is working in that field. Apparently he is a pretty intelligent guy. Wish I could remember more but I was left with the thought that he was doing very well for himself. There IS life after skating!
:yay: It's good to know that Goebel is doing well. I was so sad for his hip. :cry: I hope he will get more and more success.