Looking to take up skating | Golden Skate

Looking to take up skating

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm 21 (almost 22!!) and a complete skating virgin. But I'm looking to start skating recreationally, and as a source of exercise. There is a rink near my home, and I will probably try to begin skating a few times a week during my summer break. I'm a broke college kid, and I definately cant afford lessons... but I was wondering if you think I will be able to get any benefit from just skating around myself?

Also, would you suggest investing in my own skates, or paying to rent them each time I skate? I refuse to wear bowling shoes... so renting skates kinda icks me out... but are skates expensive to buy?

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Skates for people who skate seriously are expensive. However, if you just want to buy skates to wear for long enough to figure out if you want to take lessons, join a class, or skate seriously on your own, then check this out:

http://www.rainbosportsshop.com/

Go to the Boots and Blades section, and check under Recreational and Beginner Skates. That will give you an idea of prices. Most of these skates will take you through most basic skating moves. You'd probably need to buy a new pair if you started jumping, doing real spins, or fancy moves in the field, but these will do you well as you begin, and save you some money right now.

I suggest going through Rainbo or another real skating shop - don't just go to Modells or something like that - many skating careers are ended prematurely due to bad fitting, crappy skates. You need skates that offer some support.

I think you'll benefit from skating around on your own, but if you can afford even one or two lessons, try to do so. A coach can help you get started with the basics, and then you can practice them on your own. Things like STOPPING! and turning and stroking. At my rink, we often have adults approach coaches and ask if anyone is free to spend 15 minutes or 1/2 hour with them. They pay only for that one lesson.

Last edited:

luenatic

On the Ice
If you don't like rental, you can see if you can afford the beginner skate. The price range is from $60-$100. Since there is a rink near by your house, you can go ask the pro shop there and see if they have anything that may fit your budget. Just so you know, even the $60 skates are much better than the rental. :)

If you've decided to buy your own skates, remember to have it sharpened before you get into the ice. I saw a woman who purchased her skates. She was so excited and wanted to try it out ASAP. She put her skates on and went out to the ice... and down she went. She didn't know the blades had to be sharpened.

Your rink may also offer adult group lesson. It usually is cheaper than private lesson. It'll be a good start to learn some basic skill. It's a good way to see if you really like skating or not.

Have fun skating and let us know how it goes.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Sometimes with the group lessons, you can just attend a few and pay as you go, rather than signing up for the whole series. This might work better for your budget.

treeskater

Rinkside
Do you have any friends locally that skate and that could go with you the first time or two? I wouldn't advise you going totally alone for safety, or if you do, please let someone at the rink know it is your first time.

It is great exercise! It is a lot of fun! I know you are a broke college student, but look at it this way - check into a learn to skate program and then figure out what sort of things you really could do without in exchange for learning to have fun! Surely there are things we all fritter away money on that could be used for this adventure.

My first time, I went to the rink office and asked if they knew anyone that could teach me to skate. They gave me a list of coaches with phone numbers. The first one I called was fabulous. I rented skates, she made sure they were properly sharpened. Her opening words to me as I stood towering over her on the ice were: I taught a 6 ft. 4 in man to skate and did not let him fall, I will not let you fall. And I never did.

I felt more comfortable with the one on one first lesson.

Give it a try!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
By all means take up skating. One is never too old to do so. Recreation or serious skating is good exercise. A group adult lesson is a good idea just to learn the basics. Check the local rink to see what they offer. If you can't afford new skates used ones are a good idea. Look on ebay or see if your local rink has skates on consignment. My first skates were used ones since my parents couldn't afford new ones when I started skating and they worked out just fine. Good luck!

soogar

Record Breaker
Not sure if you bought your skates yet Liz, but maybe you should check with the rink to see if used skates are sold. Usually they are better quality and will take you through the basic spins and move in the field.

Try to sign up for group lessons. There are people in my class who were wall huggers (8 weeks ago) who are doing crossovers, spins and hops.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Thanks for all the input guys!!! I will definately look into all these options....I think yall are right about me probably needing a lesson or two (Wall hugger right here baby). But I think I want to go a few times and just get a feel for it and get the courage to step away from the wall before I learn anything as basic as forward movement ;) This new hobby is something for me to look forward too during my intense last 2 weeks of this semester.

How do sizes run in skates? Are they equivalent to street shoes? I'm looking at options on ebay.

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Skate sizes run smaller then street shoes. My skates are a 1/2 size smaller then my street shoes.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
It depends on the brand. My skates are 2.5 sizes smaller than my street shoes. That's why it's so important to go to a pro and have them help you size your feet. Even the online shops usually have some special process where they have you measure your feet and mail those measurements in. At a minimum, with each brand of boot, they'll talk about sizing - like for ballet slippers - "order 1.5 sizes down from your street shoe size", for example.

Keep in mind that skates fit a lot more closely than shoes do. Skates fit more like really hard, leather socks.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Bravo, Liz...

Everyone's given you such great advice, all I can add is...

do it, and kick that quarter-life crisis in the head!!!:laugh:

I just got back to skating today, and my coach, who's really cool, suggests that if I want to do it a lot for years to come, I should just jump from my $100 beginner skate to the top of the line, $500+ boots and blades, just because recreational skaters tend to move up in skill level but be hesitant about spending so much money and wind up buying more pairs of skates in intermediate price ranges (and degrees of quality), and therefore, spending more than they would had they upgraded from the moment they decided it was for them. So if you hit the ice (not literally, though you must be prepared to fall if you want to improve--be fearless like a kid) and fall in l:love:ve like so many of us have, look into plunking down big bucks for that one pair of skates sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Happy skating and CONGRATULATIONS!

Sarah

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I got my boots in the mail today!!!!! I ended up buying a used pair like some of you suggested. I think that they are not the greatest in the world, but I only shelled out 30 dollars for them (dont laugh I'm in college).

I cant wait to get out on the ice and cling to the wall for hours... I should be able to get some ice time in either friday or next monday depending on how my work schedule goes, I'm starting a new job tomorrow.

How much does it usually cost to get blades sharpened? Is this something that is a must? Would a good cleaning be ok? They usually will do this for you at the pro shop right?

Thanks for all the support, I'll be sure to let you know how my first attempt goes.

Figureskates

On the Ice
Don't tell me Liz that you go to TU?

Being an Aggie, I feel the ole rivalry thing kicking in!!

Seriously, have fun. It is a great sport and it is a great way to relieve stress from school.

Keep us posted on your progress.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Getting your blades sharpened is a must. It's a MUST. Really. Do it! It's not too expensive - $8 maybe if it's done by Joe Skate Sharpener in the skate shop, more if it's done by someone quite experienced. If you just skate recreationally, you won't need them sharpened all that often. Definately get them sharpened before you go skating for the first time. Your feet will thank you for it.

luenatic

On the Ice
Figureskates, do you mean "UT" as in University of Texas (Austin)? You typed TU in your post. ;) I went to school in Texas too. I do know about these silly things between the Longhorn and the Aggies. :)

Longhornliz, definitely have your blades sharpened for your first time on ice. The skate guy/gal will even check to see if the blades were mounted securely. Talk to him/her about the skates too. You may learn something new about your skates!

Have fun skating!

Figureskates

On the Ice
Luenatic, yes I mean "UT". Being a diehard Aggie, my fingers would not let me type it!!!

The rivalry was a lot of fun. I went there in the late 60s and early 70s.