Pogorilaya readies for European debut | Golden Skate

Pogorilaya readies for European debut

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia's Anna Pogorilaya will compete at her first European Championships, which will take place later this month in Stockholm, Sweden.

More

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Crazy to think that she managed a fourth place finish at Worlds (should have been bronze, IMO) before her European debut.

Best of luck to her.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nice article!

I really like how she makes these unexpected choices for her exhibitions!

Best wishes to Anna for great skates at her debut at Europeans!

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I'm very happy for her and I look forward to her performances and of course exhibition ;). Good luck Anna!

Rissa

Record Breaker
I'm very happy for her and I look forward to her performances and of course exhibition ;). Good luck Anna!

That Exhibition number alone is worth rooting for her.

I don't know why, but somehow she's my favorite Russian girl.

Last edited:

ragdoll

On the Ice
I'm looking forward to seeing her live at Europeans. She has personality and she will of course no doubt end up on the Russian sweep of the podium.

Silke

Rinkside
That Exhibition number alone is worth rooting for her.

I don't know why, but somehow she's my favorite Russian girl.

I agree. She's My favorite. She's beautiful, elegant and creative! Good luck anna! ❤❤❤удачи анна!!

iceberg

On the Ice
Crazy to think that she managed a fourth place finish at Worlds (should have been bronze, IMO) before her European debut.

Best of luck to her.

This!

There are really rare skaters who have that exceptional elegance across the ice like Mao, and I see that as well in hers and that makes her really a favorite of mine. Best of luck to this gorgeous champ!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
She has chance to win a medal. The Russian girls have chance to win all medals....

Silke

Rinkside
This!

There are really rare skaters who have that exceptional elegance across the ice like Mao, and I see that as well in hers and that makes her really a favorite of mine. Best of luck to this gorgeous champ!

Yes, anna is so elegant and her movements are soft and graceful. She is not comparable with Mao or yuna or Kostner because she is still young and she must work more on skating skill, but she has a great artistic potentiality. My favorite was Carolina Kostner and now sh has retired , i like anna. I hope she'll win a medal! 💜💜💜💜

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think people forget Korpi is back and she could end the Russian dream for a sweep - I suppose someone else could also upset them too but I don't think the Georgian lady or the French, the Hegellsen's are the greatest threat unless a Russian lady has a horrible melt down but the judges seem to like Korpi and she seems to be getting her jumps back - though I think we have to remember she never really had all her jumps.

Weathergal

Medalist
I think people forget Korpi is back and she could end the Russian dream for a sweep - I suppose someone else could also upset them too but I don't think the Georgian lady or the French, the Hegellsen's are the greatest threat unless a Russian lady has a horrible melt down but the judges seem to like Korpi and she seems to be getting her jumps back - though I think we have to remember she never really had all her jumps.

Agree with you that Korpi could be a threat, although as you pointed out, jumping was never really her strongest suit. I don't see Elene Gedevanishvili, Viktoria Helgesson, or Mae-Berenice Meite knocking one of the Russian ladies off the podium. I like all the skaters mentioned, especially Korpi for her elegance and Meite for her personality. I'm rooting for Liza Tuktamysheva to take gold though! And I wish Anna Pogorilaya good luck as well!

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I agree. She's My favorite. She's beautiful, elegant and creative! Good luck anna! ❤❤❤удачи анна!!

:biggrin: When I first saw her on ice, I thought that if skating doesn't work for her, she could switch to modelling and make big bucks. I do enjoy her skating so much, though.

Best of luck to her!

Arawen

Final Flight
:biggrin: When I first saw her on ice, I thought that if skating doesn't work for her, she could switch to modelling and make big bucks. I do enjoy her skating so much, though.

Best of luck to her!
THIS so much! I will root for Anna, Kiira, Joshi and Viktoria.

Tutto

Record Breaker

Best of luck to her!

I believe Anna is next Carolina. Good luck to her and Lisa

Silke

Rinkside

Best of luck to her!
yes ! She is beautiful, with her blonde hair and large green eyes....in her life far from the Ice she is kind and graceful and not pretentious...she is a lovely person ❤❤❤

anyanka

Record Breaker
This part of the interview:

---

At Skate Canada, she surprised everyone by skating to “Rise Like a Phoenix” by Austrian drag queen Conchita Wurst, complete with costume and hairstyle change during the performance.

“The idea came up after the Eurovision song contest,” explained Pogorilaya. “It was a fun idea, why not take it?”

In Russia, however, some politicians frowned upon the singer and condemned him, but Pogorilaya is more open-minded.

“What’s the matter? He sings very well and has a nice voice,” she said, adding that the program was well-received at Rostelecom Cup. “Everything else is not important. The idea that he is a boy-girl is also great. There could have been a scandal, but luckily there wasn’t.”

---

Very progressive, very cool. :)