The Ultimate Skate Battle, new improv competition @ Challenge Cup '15 | Golden Skate

The Ultimate Skate Battle, new improv competition @ Challenge Cup '15

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:shocked: :think: :popcorn: A new category of competition at an ISU-recognized international event, per the Challenge Cup 2015 Announcement:

Improv programs + judging solely on entertainment value + DJ playing contemporary music + inclusion of audience voting + possible celebrity tie-breaker.
Scheduled as the closing competition on the final day of the Challenge Cup, Sun Feb 22.
(No extra entry fee required.)

The Ultimate Skate Battle
Improvisation Program

A maximum of 32 skaters will battle it out in this new format:
• 1 minute improvised program on contemporary music
• a DJ will play a tune at random
• two skaters skate simultaneously against each other on a knock-out basis, one of them advances to the next round
• all skaters are drawn at random against each other in each round
• there is only one judging criterium: the entertainment factor!
• Judges:
o 3 judges comprise one vote, on majority basis
o public audience gets one vote
o in case of a tie, a Dutch celebrity will cast the tie-breaker
o all judges and the public get a green an a red card to show their vote​
• Prize money for The Ultimate Skating Battle:
o 1st prize: € 1000
o 2nd prize: € 500
o 3rd prize: € 250​

http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/180212/challenge-cup-2015-announcement.pdf (see pages 4 and 5 of 9)​

The same description is in the First Information for the Challenge Cup.

Figure Skate Freestyle Battle page (in Dutch) from the Challenge Cup website:

I'm labelling this thread as "News," b/c I don't think anything about The Ultimate Skate Battle previously had been posted on GS.
(But the information from the Dutch fed is not hot off the press.)

Mods, I'm posting this thread in The Edge b/c it seems of possible wider interest (beyond the Challenge Cup) as a "first" (AFAIK).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do we know the entries yet?

Not yet, AFAIK. For the Skate Battle, entries are being accepted both in advance and on site -- so I'm guessing that the organizers hope that some skaters will decide to jump in on the spur of the moment after completing their traditional programs.

The entry deadline for the traditional segments was Jan 15, but skater lists are not readily apparent yet on the event website (in Dutch):

A Challenge Cup advertising poster has a photo of a skater performing a headstand-like hip-hop-esque move -- next to a photo of an "ice princess"-like lady's spin. Trying to draw both new fans and old, no doubt.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My immediate thought was "omg USFSA if you're not going to give Max any big-assignment love then for the love of Plushenchrist send him HERE!"

I haven't even had that much sugar today :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My immediate thought was "omg USFSA if you're not going to give Max any big-assignment love then for the love of Plushenchrist send him HERE!"

I haven't even had that much sugar today :laugh:

:agree: Max in fact was the reason that I was wishfully poking around the Challenge Cup documents, where I stumbled upon the Skate Battle stuff.

But I now fear that the Jan 15 deadline would mean no Max ... b/c USFS and he himself would not have committed him to anything without knowing the outcome of Nats.

If I am mistaken and Challenge Cup still is feasible for Max, then I agree wholeheartedly that he would be an absolute natural for the Skate Battle finale. :cool: :yay: