2020 Youth Olympics and 2022 Olympics Host Cities Announced | Golden Skate

2020 Youth Olympics and 2022 Olympics Host Cities Announced

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right. The IOC meeting is in progress.

2020 Youth Olympics

For the 2020 Youth Olympics, it was between:

Lausanne in Switzerland, where the IOC is based.
Brașov in Romania, which hosted the 2013 EYOF.

And the winner was...

(drumroll)

Lausanne

2020 Winter Youth Olympics bidding results
City
Nation
Votes
Lausanne
Switzerland
Brașov
Romania

2022 Olympics

But, what about the big one? The 2022 Olympics.

Will we be going to Almaty in Kazakhstan, which hosted the 2011 Asian Games and will host the 2017 Universiade?

Or, will we be going to Beijing in China, which hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics?

And the winner is...

(drumroll)

Beijing

2022 Winter Olympics bidding results
City
Nation
Votes
Beijing
China
Almaty
Kazakhstan

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Is it selfish to wish for Almaty, just because the time zone would be ideal in case of my (potential) job in 7 years, in order to watch live? :slink::drama:

Anyways, congratulations. I expect the Figure Skating event will be held in Beijing?

Will any current Chinese skater compete? Ages at 2022 Olympics: Boyang Jin (25), Han Yan (26), Zijun Li (26), Sui/Han (27/30), Peng/Zhang (25/38), Yu/Jin (27/28)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i was rooting for Almaty and hoping that Elizabet will be at podium at home :biggrin: well congratulations to winners!

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Anyone who can find a Youtube video of Denis Ten's presentation at the congress? I can't seem to find it...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
If I have to be a selfish fan: TERRIBLE! The time zone difference will kill me :drama:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Too bad, I was cheering for Almaty. After all, a big majority of snow in China will be made mechanically and the venues for alpine skiing are 200 km far from Beijing. Well, I guess China has the money.

mikaboo

Medalist

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
How predictable :disapp:

I didn't want to say it in the Original Post, but that was my exact thought on both venue announcements.

Almaty would have been my preferred host, for the simple reason that, having hosted the Asian Games, they already have all the facilities in place. Plus hosting the 2017 Universiade would have been a good "practice run" for hosting the Olympics a few years later.

With Beijing, everything will have to be built from scratch. Yes, China can probably afford to do this. But, if it works out as expensive as Sochi, then the IOC could have difficulty getting candidates for subsequent Games.

With the Youth Olympics, I wasn't as bothered as to which city won, because both have the facilities already in place. But, it just seemed very convenient that the IOC chose "their" home city to be the hosts.

But, those are just my opinions.

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's not like either option was a good one...

jagragold

On the Ice
I think Beijing 2022 will amaze us. China is an incredible country!!! It's true that the HDI of China is low, but give them time and they will rise.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So...where's the snow? Where's the mountain events? Will the snow stay anything resembling white with that much smog in the air?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Well I guess is easier to sell Beijing than Almity. You hear people actually want to go there, so the Olympics will be another motivater.

I have never hear or talk to someone wanted to go to Kazakhstan

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think this was a year of choosing the lesser evil to me, not that they're evil but my choice is neither, really wish Oslo had wanted in but I understand why they didn't bid.

Zijun on a television show last year said that she wanted Beijing to win the Olympic bid for 2022 and that she wanted to represent them there so barring injuries she will likely make that her goal

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So...where's the snow? Where's the mountain events? Will the snow stay anything resembling white with that much smog in the air?

Sure, it was the same in Sochi. They had to gather up and store snow because the WINTER Olympics were given to a SUMMER holiday resort.

I just wish those voting would think of the practicalities before they cast their vote.

As for mountains, I just did a search and there are actually 2 mountain ranges bordering Beijing. See the "Geography of Beijing" Wikipedia page. So, that should not be too much of a problem in theory.

CaroLiza_fan

owl

On the Ice
Hmm. I understand why they chose Beijing, but I personally would have preferred Almaty. I'm also a little surprised that the OG will be held in East Asia three times in a row (2018 in Pyeongchang, 2020 in Tokyo).

I believe they're taking the outdoor sports outside of Beijing. As for the smog...I was in China a few weeks ago, and it's definitely an alarming issue. They're not exaggerating when they say the sky's never blue in Beijing. Of course, the Olympic committee has addressed this and has plans for clearing out some of the smog, but Rio said the same about their polluted waters, and it's still a concern with only a year left until the 2016 OG.

Mattieu

Medalist
I too would've preferred Almaty.
It would be much more interesting than a country that has already hosted the Olympics.
I would've considered going to Almaty, but with the polution in Beijing, I will certainly not be going!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Beijing was a shoe-in as soon as Oslo pulled out.

It is definitely the least ideal of the available locations for the Winter Games.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Gosh 2022... it is true in desperate times, go for those with deep pocket and not likely to go bankrupt. 2nd winter Olympics in a row in Asia!

Zijun... will she last that long!? Please take care of your self, no more injuries!!

Actually this should motivate Beijing to get rid of pollution more than ever, or it really should.

----------

Nice article from about Denis's gracious words, http://www.koreaobserver.com/kazakh...eful-after-hometown-loses-olympic-vote-41596/

“I think it was a good fight,” Ten said after Beijing emerged a 44-40 winner over Almaty, with one abstention, in an International Olympic Committee (IOC) vote in Kuala Lumpur. The former Kazakhstan capital, with Ten serving as an athlete ambassador, had been considered the underdog in the buildup to the vote.

“It was our first serious bid (for a Winter Olympics) and I think it’s a good start,” Ten added. Almaty had earlier bid for the 2014 Winter Games but never made it to the voting stage. “In the future, I am sure we will try again. Hopefully next time, we will get good news.”

There's always 2026! lol...

Last edited: