Sota Yamamoto sets sights on Junior World title | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto sets sights on Junior World title

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan's Sōta Yamamoto, who debuted at and took the bronze at last year's World Junior Figure Skating Championships, has set his sights set on the title for 2016. [More]

Looking ahead into the upcoming season, Yamamoto said his biggest goal is to “win the junior world title,” however, he clearly stated it wasn’t going to be easy.

“Nathan Chen from the U.S. recently participated in a domestic competition in the senior category, and in the free skate he landed two quads and one triple Axel in the second half,” Yamamoto observed. “The fact that he is able to bring such an A-game to his first competition this year shows that he is going to have a very strong season.”

HanDomi

Record Breaker
He sets bar for himself very high. All the best for him, I like his jumps style

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
This season won't be easy to him. Even though Shoma and Boyang won't compete there anymore, Nathan looks like a fierce rival. It will be exciting to see him and Sota going head to head. He had a great result at senior Nationals last year (he finished 6th), so I'll look forward to his improvement this season. Hopefully he'll get his 4T consistently :agree: he's got some high goals set for himself

But how much I wish they would stop it with the comparisons, regardless of how similar their styles might be. It does him no good and just adds more pressure to him. I hope they'll just let him grow into a different skater by himself.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
But how much I wish they would stop it with the comparisons, regardless of how similar their styles might be. It does him no good and just adds more pressure to him. I hope they'll just let him grow into a different skater by himself.

:thumbsup:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are others vying for the title, too: Roman Sadovsky, Vincent Zhou, Deniss Vassilyjevs, Andrew Torgashev. It's not a 2-man field.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does't the US only have two spots for Junior Worlds next year? I think Nathan if he skates like he has so far this summer will be the US hope to win Jr Worlds. Not sure if Vincent or Andrew even if he's healthy are quite ready to take that next step just yet plus one of them most likely won't make the World team.

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
Apparently Sota has chosen JGP USA where Nathan Chen is expected to compete. More exactly, he is setting sights on beating Chen. I think Chen has the upper hand at this point even without home advantages. Sota must add the quad to his arsenal as soon as possible.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Apparently Sota has chosen JGP USA where Nathan Chen is expected to compete. More exactly, he is setting sights on beating Chen. I think Chen has the upper hand at this point even without home advantages. Sota must add the quad to his arsenal as soon as possible.

4T and I believe he is practising the 4S at the moment too. So panic not! ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

JGP USA in Colorado Springs is at altitute (6035' / 1840 m), to which Nathan is accustomed. Sota trains at sea level, so competing at altitude could be a disadvantage for him.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I hope the first thing he does is burn that horribly bedazzled Blue Unitard. It looks like Johnny Weir's old Otonol Costume. A costume I hated with a passion. I can't think of anything less masculine to put a skater in.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Well, I hope the first thing he does is burn that horribly bedazzled Blue Unitard. It looks like Johnny Weir's old Otonol Costume. A costume I hated with a passion. I can't think of anything less masculine to put a skater in.

Some people have such old-fashioned views on masculinity.. but they never held much ground in Japan anyway, so I wouldn't expect Sota to change too much since he's a Hanyu acolyte... :laugh:

Costumes aside, I see Sota as Nathan's most serious obstacle on the way to the junior World title and it seems Sota is in a know-your-competition mode, heh. I hope to see them both at their best. Beating Nathan is a tall order. I wonder if we'll see any effects of Lambiel's advice.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Some people have such old-fashioned views on masculinity.. but they never held much ground in Japan anyway, so I wouldn't expect Sota to change too much since he's a Hanyu acolyte... :laugh:

Costumes aside, I see Sota as Nathan's most serious obstacle on the way to the junior World title and it seems Sota is in a know-your-competition mode, heh. I hope to see them both at their best. Beating Nathan is a tall order. I wonder if we'll see any effects of Lambiel's advice.

Come on now. Take a look at Joshua's "Give Me Love" Costume or Javier's FS from last season. Masculine and Artistic. It's all in the design. Maybe it's just my preference as someone who prefers a masculine look. Then again, I loved Johnny Weir and wasn't the most masculine skater around. ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I do wonder about changing body types even for the guys if this will create some challenges. Though I guess they usually get stronger - still there is the adjustment issue. Did anyone notice Sota's costume kind of have a Hanyu flare influenced by Johnny Weir (good or bad I am not sure).

Rissa

Record Breaker
Come on now. Take a look at Joshua's "Give Me Love" Costume or Javier's FS from last season. Masculine and Artistic. It's all in the design. Maybe it's just my preference as someone who prefers a masculine look. Then again, I loved Johnny Weir and wasn't the most masculine skater around. ;)

Nothing against Javi or Josh, but I also think that deeming Sota's type of costume un-masculine is sticking to old-fashioned and western-centric views on masculinity. Which Javi and Josh represent quite nicely, but it's not like men shouldn't go beyond that. :shrug: But I guess it's a topic for another thread. Anyway, Sota's got the body type that makes this sort of costumes look good so I definitely don't mind them.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I do wonder about changing body types even for the guys if this will create some challenges. Though I guess they usually get stronger - still there is the adjustment issue. Did anyone notice Sota's costume kind of have a Hanyu flare influenced by Johnny Weir (good or bad I am not sure).

Sota is probably Yuzu's biggest fanboy, frills and all. But he also has his own style of skating that is developing slowly and I'm wishing him the best in his first JGP this season.
I hope he doesn't get too impatient with himself. Not everyone can be as quick to land quads and 3As as Yuzu. It may take a bit of time for him to put them both in competition successfully.

His cheerful attitude and love for skating shows in his programs and has made me a fan.

I hope he and Chen both do well in the upcoming JGP event. I'll be watching. :popcorn:

About his costume, he said it was a coincidence that it looked like Yuzu's. He leaves the design up to the designers. Most younger skaters do. https://droppedpearl.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/golden-skate山本草太選手の記事に入れなかった一問一答/

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I hope he doesn't get too impatient with himself. Not everyone can be as quick to land quads and 3As as Yuzu. It may take a bit of time for him to put them both in competition successfully.

Agreed. Having a timeline of goals to achieve is a good thing, but following somebody else's timeline not necessarily so.

I think this season JW title is Nathan Chen's to lose, but the ice is slippery. Joining the Olympic team in 2018 seems feasible, however.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nothing against Javi or Josh, but I also think that deeming Sota's type of costume un-masculine is sticking to old-fashioned and western-centric views on masculinity. Which Javi and Josh represent quite nicely, but it's not like men shouldn't go beyond that. :shrug: But I guess it's a topic for another thread. Anyway, Sota's got the body type that makes this sort of costumes look good so I definitely don't mind them.

Sota definitely has the body type just as Johnny did. I must admit to knowing next to nothing about Sota so I'm hardly one to talk about him and his skating. I'm still obsessed with Misha Ge. ;) And Patrick and Plushy's returns. I can't wait!!

Rissa

Record Breaker
Sota definitely has the body type just as Johnny did. I must admit to knowing next to nothing about Sota so I'm hardly one to talk about him and his skating. I'm still obsessed with Misha Ge. ;) And Patrick and Plushy's returns. I can't wait!!

I think everyone is obsessed with Misha Ge. Or they should be. :laugh:

I just saw that Sota's assigned to a JGP event that isn't that terribly far away from where I live, as are Roman Sadovsky and Petr Gummenik. Hmmm, I suppose I could go and have a look...