Watershed Moments: Olympic Swimming | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Watershed Moments: Olympic Swimming

alebi

Medalist
By all accounts Horton beating Sun was an extremely popular victory.

According to the Australian coaches, Sun had been deliberately splashing Horton in the practice pool the day before, which did not ruffle Horton one bit.

Horton had this to say after the race: "It's a win for the good guys against those who've tested positive."

Australia is going to do better in the pool than in London primarily because we cut the boneheads from the squad...a repeat of London's behaviour would have gone down among the Aussie public here like a lead balloon.

Sun's attitude has always been very deplorable, plus we have that hidden doping case.... :disapp:
Horton seems a very good guy and he's even close friend to Paltrinieri. I hope the two will do a great 1500 finals and leave Sun with no satisfaction at all.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was pleased with Hagino's win.

I was too! I don't really pay much attention outside the Olympics, so imagine my surprise to learn that Japan has now got really good at this swimming gig! They will be my second team in the pool, mostly because they look so happy :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Best wishes to Sarah Sjöström tonight going for gold and the 100 m butterfly world's record. Memories of this nice down-to-earth girl winning Europeans 100 m butterfly gold, 14 years old in 2008; stealing Swedish media attention from figure skating WC in Göteborg :eek:hwell:

I'm so happy for Katinka Hosszu! She's my fav current female swimmer :cheer: I'm so jelly of Hungary and their swimmers.

I’m happy for her too. She and her funny husband seems like such a good team. If he was allowed he’d jumped into the pool and swum beside me, she said in an interview :laugh:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
So pumped that Adam Peaty won gold with a new WR! He was amazing!

And also that Jazz Carlin got a silver against the extraordinary Katy Ledecky in gold. So great!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Best wishes to Sarah Sjöström tonight going for gold and the 100 m butterfly world's record. Memories of this nice down-to-earth girl winning Europeans 100 m butterfly gold, 14 years old in 2008; stealing Swedish media attention from figure skating WC in Göteborg :eek:hwell:

Your wish was granted :) Win ad WR for Sarah Sjostrom!

adelia

Record Breaker
I was too! I don't really pay much attention outside the Olympics, so imagine my surprise to learn that Japan has now got really good at this swimming gig! They will be my second team in the pool, mostly because they look so happy :)
Well, there was Kitajima, so there is precedent. The best Japanese swimmers have great technique, to compensate for the height disadvantage.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lily Flippin' King! You don't wag that finger number one before your time, girl, not when you still have to race against Lily.

YESSSS!:yahoo:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Lilly King and her compatriot showed ugly sportsmanship:disagree:. Wish Yulia luck in 200m.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lily King: "We can compete clean, and that's how it should be."

If that's bad sportsmanship, I'll take bad sportsmanship any day of the week. And you *don't* raise your finger as number one until you are in fact number one. Which Yulia, tonight, was not.

For future races, we shall see.

And belated woot to Mack Horton for beating Sun as well:clap:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Remember Ashley and Anna on a podium and people cries. In that case Anna did that move unintentionally. This time it was to mock Yulia. Disgrace in sport.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Another Gold for Katinka! :yahoo: This time suprising! ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Remember Ashley and Anna on a podium and people cries. In that case Anna did that move unintentionally. This time it was to mock Yulia. Disgrace in sport.

The difference is that Anna is not a drug cheat.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Karne made it known that she detests all dopers equally. She's very fair in that aspect. :thumbsup: Julia Efimova isn't the only swimmer winning medal having controversial past. The rules allow that, so I guess athletes have to deal with it, at least unless they will change the rules. But Lilly King also isn't the first to mock athletes with cheating past, both sides need to suck it up. We'll have more situations like this at Olympics, not only in swimming.