Top 10 Iconic Ladies dresses of all time | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Top 10 Iconic Ladies dresses of all time

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I certainly remember Kim's dress. It just seemed like the perfect Olympic dress and it and her whole look just screamed "Champion" to me.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I always thought that Kim's 2009-10 SP dress was the more interesting and memorable of her costumes that year. It's gorgeous and unique. The blue one is pretty but more conventional.

But the first thing that comes to mind when iconic dresses are mentioned is of course Peggy Fleming's beautiful chartreuse dress from 1968. Such a striking look.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I would never have guessed that the word iconic could be the source of such debate and precious commentary. Definitions can be flexible, maybe just let people have their own definition without the snippiness!?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would never have guessed that the word iconic could be the source of such debate and precious commentary. Definitions can be flexible, maybe just let people have their own definition without the snippiness!?

I don't see the snippiness, just normal disagreement over something that is ultimately subjective. As for the definition, the thread isn't titled "Favorite dresses of all time." It is "Iconic dresses." There is a difference.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Iconic is really a matter of personal opinion.

I wouldn't call Yuna Kim's blue dress iconic, it's barely even memorable. Was her Olympic program an iconic moment in the sport - yes, but that doesn't mean the dress was.

I agree. It's fun to see new skating fans who only know Yuna and Mao. My tired old *** has been around since Dorothy Hamill!!!! lol But yeah, I don't remember any of Yuna's dresses. Ergo, not iconic.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I agree. It's fun to see new skating fans who only know Yuna and Mao. My tired old *** has been around since Dorothy Hamill!!!! lol But yeah, I don't remember any of Yuna's dresses. Ergo, not iconic.

It's so funny to see that you assume that Yuna and Mao fans started watching figure skating just after the skaters' careers began. No, since 1992, I've watched figure skating, mostly ladies though (ironically the judging controversies on pairs in 2002 ignited my love for the discipline), I don't remember any of Kwan's dresses specifically. According to your theory, ergo, her dresses not iconic at all. :laugh: While some of her dresses seem nice, they look all same to me because of the colors and similar designs for her similarly choreographed programs. Maybe that's because her performances are not my cup of tea, so I didn't have a thrilling moment from her performances and don't rewatch her programs except in case for reviewing a whole competition including her and many others. As a result, her costumes are all blurry in my memory. I guess the same thing happens to you.

Besides, show some respect! If so called "new skating fans" started watching the sport, let's say since 2005 or 06 or even since 2010, well, it is hardly being called "new skating fans, over 10 years, a decade, wow. Time flies really fast, doesn't it? You're just one old timer, that's all. New skating fans have different perspectives and fresh attitudes that some of old timers do not want to take, perhaps including me though. At least we should try to embrace all kind of perspectives as you know.

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I don't see the snippiness, just normal disagreement over something that is ultimately subjective. As for the definition, the thread isn't titled "Favorite dresses of all time." It is "Iconic dresses." There is a difference.

Yeah, there's been plenty of snippiness here and plenty of disregard for others opinions on what's iconic and what is not. No need for it really. And yes, I did see the title of the thread.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Katarina Witt - Carmen

Kristi Yamaguchi - black & golden dress at Albertville

Oksana Baiul - Black Swan

Nancy Kerrigan - Lillehammer SP B/W dress

Tara Lipinski - Anastasia

Surya Bonaly - The Four Season dress worn at Nagano, that backflip...

Chen Lu - Adios Nonino red dress at Nagano

Sara Hughes - The lavender dress (her SP dress was also gorgeous, but no strong image)

Sasha Cohen - Romeo & Juliet worn at Torino

Shizuka Arakawa - Turandot (weird design, but unforgettable)

Irina Slutskaya - jumpsuits worn at Torino

Yuna Kim - James Bond, Gershwin Concerto

Yulia Lipnitskaya - Schindler's List

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
For me, iconic dresses are memorable because of what the athlete accomplished wearing them or because of the situation surrounding their skate.

I would count Yuna's Gershwin as iconic because of how stand out her performance was, she stepped on the ice and you knew just by looking at her that she was going to deliver. I think Lip's dress is pretty iconic in that it will be what people associate her with for a long time and was fitting without being cheesy.

Nancy's Olympic dress is iconic because of the whole Nancy-Tanya situation and the fact that Vera Wang designed it.

I would consider Michelle's Lyra Angelica dress iconic because of the simplicity of it combines with the perfection of her performance. I also think her Fields of Gold exhibition dress is iconic because of her heartbreaking performance and how it represented how close she had come to her dream.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i wonder how many Kermit the frogs it took to make that dress

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
erm.. i was just making a joke in a thread that is actually open to interpretation :) why not just enjoy it ;)

as far as I know, no 90 year old woman can land a double axel, nor even a single jump.... so the queen at 90, not only has an iconic dress, but is perhaps just as good at figure skating than anybody in her age group ;) hahahahaha
Well, we can lower it to a double axel.........