Papadakis & Cizeron: 2016 French Masters | Golden Skate

Papadakis & Cizeron: 2016 French Masters

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One year after moving up to the senior ranks, the French ice dance team of Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron took both the European and World title. As a result, they were the first French team to win the World title since 2008 when Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder won gold in Sweden.

More

After the French Masters competition in Oct, they are scheduled to compete at Trophee de France in France and NHK Trophy in Japan for their Grand Prix events. Here's wishing them a healthy and injury free season!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks for the article. According to it,

“We will skate to a jazzy Blues and a Swing, but not to Hip Hop,” Cizeron said, regarding the short dance. “For the free dance we chose something completely different from last year. It is a program with contrasts, but we haven’t finalized the storyline yet. We searched for the music for a long time and we want to move forward boldly and create a piece of art.”

“The Blues suits us very well because we can express it very well,” Papadakis added. “We also like the Swing rhythm.”

Given by the latest clips on instagram, I thought they will go for Hip Hop; Guillaume was so cool and good at that. Instead they chose blues and swing..I'm not disappointed but how cool it would be that the reigning World champions known for a delicate and subtle style perform to Hip Hop...I wish they explore the genre in EX. :)

cocotaffy

Final Flight
I'm not disappointed at all by their SD choice, I liked their minnie the moocher SD a lot and always wondered with more maturity and better control on their SS what swing would look like on them. Also, people who were hoping they would depart from their flowy lyrical programs should be satisfy, with swing P/C should give us perky. I'm intrigued by the FD, different style altogether according to Guillaume, would they go experimental/modern ? I'm afraid of a tango yet by another team, even though they have it in them to produce a great steamy/smooth one making me eat my words :laugh:

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
I'm really surprised, I was expecting hip-hop. Well, tomorrow is an other day ;)

Whilst they would've done one of the best hip-hops, I don't think hip-hop really goes with the flow of ice skating.
So wise choices. They do perky extremely well! :)

all that

Final Flight
If I wanted to win, I wouldn't choose hip hop. Willing to bet the judges will find it easier to give high marks to a great swing than hip hop.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
I also think they have a nag not to do what most expect from them which is a good way of keeping everyone on their toes. It's like their SD last season, the judges wanted them to go a bit more traditional and they went for an even more dramatic version at Worlds than the Euro's.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Agreed, I can't see the judges giving out the same marks to an amazing hip hop number if there's also an equally amazing swing number. *shrug* when it comes to music choices, judges aren't exactly known to embrace something new in favour of something old.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
More

After the French Masters competition in Oct, they are scheduled to compete at Trophee de France in France and NHK Trophy in Japan for their Grand Prix events. Here's wishing them a healthy and injury free season!
Thanks, gsk8.

I'm not disappointed but how cool it would be that the reigning World champions known for a delicate and subtle style perform to Hip Hop...I wish they explore the genre in EX. :)
They already did an exhibition that is at least part hip hop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3x_RjYOFM.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really think this team is unbeatable. Chock and Bates, The Shibs, The Italians, Weaver and Poje and Virtue and Moir really will be in trouble - this team seems unbeatable. Now one of those other teams including V and M are going to find themselves plummeting or down much further than anticipated. Not sure who. I expect we might see one of the Russian teams to make their move - just don't know who - B and S or K and S or I and Z. This team has th e it factor and have established themselves as champions.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I really think this team is unbeatable. Chock and Bates, The Shibs, The Italians, Weaver and Poje and Virtue and Moir really will be in trouble - this team seems unbeatable. Now one of those other teams including V and M are going to find themselves plummeting or down much further than anticipated. Not sure who. I expect we might see one of the Russian teams to make their move - just don't know who - B and S or K and S or I and Z. This team has th e it factor and have established themselves as champions.

Yes. This team is just something special and incredible. I don't think even Scott can beat them...

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Did you purposely leave out Tessa Virtue?

Oh, no. I got distracted and forgot to edit. But for what it's worth Scott carries that team, imo, though she is probably the best female after Papadakis (well, maybe Ilinykh too).

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Oh, no. I got distracted and forgot to edit. But for what it's worth Scott carries that team, imo...
Yes, we know your opinion. And it's not the first time when you say Scott instead of Tessa and Scott or Virtue and Moir. I absolutely disagree, though. Tessa's skating skills are on par with Scott's even despite her old leg problems, and, expression wise, while Scott is more expressive in terms in facial expressions/acting (sometimes even a bit OTT), Tessa more than makes up for her subtler expressions with the way she uses her upper body and her arms and with her overall talent as a dancer - no other current female ice dancer moves the way she can. And no other current female ice dancer can "lift" herself in lifts as much as she does (it's what some ice dance fans call "core strength" that helps her). Scott is lucky to have her for a partner.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Yes, we know your opinion. And it's not the first time when you say Scott instead of Tessa and Scott or Virtue and Moir. I absolutely disagree, though. Tessa's skating skills are on par with Scott's even despite her old leg problems, and, expression wise, while Scott is more expressive in terms in facial expressions/acting (sometimes even a bit OTT), Tessa more than makes up for her subtler expression with the way she uses her upper body and her arms and with her overall talent as a dancer - no other current female ice dancer moves the way she can. And no other current female ice dancer can "lift" herself in lifts as much as she does (it's what some ice dance fans call "core strength" that helps her). Scott is lucky to have her for a partner.

So what? I'll keep saying it too. And Papadakis is as good. Scott is the best. Though as a team PapCiz are slightly superior to V/M. Though we will have to wait for several iterations of their programs to get a definitive opinion.