Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 129 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

giulia95

Medalist
I think Yuzuru's free should be choreographed by two person. David Wilson and someone with fresh ideas like Buttle. You can say what you want about DW but he is good in making points in his programs. Second option - DW will find huge inspiration and will make program of his life for Yuzu :laugh:

In order to create a memorable program Wilson should enter into YUZULAND,which it's unknown to him actually !
He could ask for a help to Bestemianova & Bobrin ! :laugh:

yay

On the Ice
BTW, I think Nichol style does not suit YUzuru at all. She is good choreographer for ballet style skaters like Mao and Carolina. Yuzu should try Camerlengo or Averbukh or Zhulin or any other less famous choreographer but with fresher idea.
Well, I find her choreography very adaptive. I can't say I'm sure it would be something exceptional in Yuzu's case, but I definitely would love to see it.

edit
With all due respect to him, I hate Averbukh's cliche programs.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Some skaters succeed despite their packaging, others because of it (amazing choreography, beautiful costume, suitable music, good theme...)

We all know Plushy, who usually got criticised that his program are empty, but with his charm and jumping ability, he came very far. Plushy definitely belongs to the 1st group.:)

Some people succeed thanks to the choreography. Yuzuru's R&J 1.0 was a good package for him. But if he stayed with same type of choreography, he might not prove that he can survive in this system with a less amazing choreography.

I think Yuzuru, with his R&J 2.0, has proved that he also belongs to the 1st group. :biggrin:

Personally, I still dislike his R&J 2.0, but I have to admit, despite his costume and the choreography that most of us think does not suit him well, he still succeed. The fact itself amazes me. :popcorn:

Because, it makes me want to root for him more and more. Yeah, I dislike his costume, I dislike the choreography, I wrote him off when he fell in SP, yet he won. I have to admit he made it work!!! He did justice to a program that people consider lacklustre! :)

The jumps were almost clean, the flow was there, much better than Sochi and GPF.

From now on, no matter what kind of choreography David Wilson or anyone else will create for him, I still support him.;)

jimeonji

Final Flight
3a4t will get better points as it is not counted as sequence.

BTW, I think Nichol style does not suit YUzuru at all. She is good choreographer for ballet style skaters like Mao and Carolina. Yuzu should try Camerlengo or Averbukh or Zhulin or any other less famous choreographer but with fresher idea.
oh yeah, that's what I meant. 18.8!!! I'd like to see Yuzu do it in practice. The 3a combos in his free are my favorite part anyways.
oh my gosh, Yuzu with Pasquale :love: it's at least worth a try, even if it's not guaranteed to work.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru, with his R&J 2.0, has proved that he also belongs to the 1st group. :biggrin:

Personally, I still dislike his R&J 2.0, but I have to admit, despite his costume and the choreography that most of us think does not suit him well, he still succeed. The fact itself amazes me. :popcorn:

Because, it makes me want to root for him more and more. Yeah, I dislike his costume, I dislike the choreography, I wrote him off when he fell in SP, yet he won. I have to admit he made it work!!! He did justice to a program that people consider lacklustre! :)

The jumps were almost clean, the flow was there, much better than Sochi and GPF.

)

Well I can agree. For me at Worlds he brought R&J 2 to life.

3:35 moment after loop, they changed this part for the worlds, I don't know why but I become in love with that part :laugh::biggrin: so smoooth for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIbFk1IE8rQ

giulia95

Medalist
Yuzuru's R&J 1.0 choreographers Bestemianova and Bobrin. No Nanami Abe choreographed.
Here 5:00:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuOwbiByP4

thanks for the clip and thanks to Nonchan yuzu for translation!

If I remeber correctly Nanami selected the music and gave Yuzu just the trace of the program, then B&B developed it . Yuzu worked with B&B just for some weeks and with language barrier , that's absolutely amazing.

They entered into Yuzuland so quickly and deeply !!:laugh:

yay

On the Ice
I'd say, it is because of, not despite his imperfect jumps that I've enjoyed the FS from Worlds. That angle when he lands a Salchow is insane and he still managed to do it. The combo with a 3T from a stand-still made me literally :jaw:

A question to Japanese speakers: what does the first hieroglyph in Yuzuru's name mean? My "translate.google" buddy helped me with the second one, translating it as "bowstring". It translates 結 as "formation". Together it doesn't make sense to me.

Meoima

Match Penalty
A question to Japanese speakers: what does the first hieroglyph in Yuzuru's name mean? My "translate.google" buddy helped me with the second one, translating it as "bowstring". It translates 結 as "formation". Together it doesn't make sense to me.
I studied Japanese long time ago, now I am very terrible at it but with dictionary I can help you. I have to say, to East Asia people, his name is very rare and beautiful when you wrote it in Kanji (Chinese characters). Skaters like Daisuke or Asada, Suzuki have popular names in Japan. I have met Japanese people with those surnames before, but never met one with Hanyu as surname.

I have been told, Chinese fans love his name very much.

When you wrote in Kanji, this is his name:羽生結弦
羽生 = Hanyu which is his surname, Japanese place surname before the 1st name.
結弦 = Yuzuru

Now, the meaning of each character:

羽 = feather. 生 = born => Since his surname has the character of feather in it, his fans usually draw him a pair of wings. They want to express the idea he is like a bird flying on the ice or something like that, I guess.

結 = to connect, to tie, to knot. 弦 = the bowstring => The 1st name is named by his father, who happens to be a teacher, so I can guess the name has hidden meaning.
I guess, his father wanted him to have a strong and dignified attitude towards difficulties of life (like a bow with stretched string holding a large amount of energy), hence the name.:)

winterbell

Rinkside
I'd say, it is because of, not despite his imperfect jumps that I've enjoyed the FS from Worlds. That angle when he lands a Salchow is insane and he still managed to do it. The combo with a 3T from a stand-still made me literally :jaw:

結 is like "tie" instead of "form". 弦 is bowstring. I think you can take the first character as a verb not a none. So the name means "tie the bowstring to a bow", and the string is going to be beautifully straightened and filled with powerful force, while at the same time it can not be over-intensive to work correctly. This image contains a very oriental and very Japanese aesthetics and philosophy. He said himself in an interview that his father gave him this name and wanted him to be such a person who lives a life simple, but dignified, powerful and graceful. ”弓の弦を結ぶように凛とした生き方をして欲しい” from wiki

But again, I am a Chinese who learnt Japanese myself. I am not that good at Japanese but the above is my understanding to those Chinese characters/Kanji that are shared in both two languages and cultures. You are welcome to correct if there is anything not accurate :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
結 is like "tie" instead of "form". 弦 is bowstring. I think you can take the first character as a verb not a none. So the name means "tie the bowstring to a bow", and the string is going to be straight and filled with full force, which contains a very oriental and very Japanese aesthetics and philosophy. A beauty of minimalism. He said himself in an interview that his father gave him this name and wanted him to be such a person living a life simple, but powerful and graceful. ”弓の弦を結ぶように凛とした生き方をして欲しい” from wiki

But again, I am a Chinese who learnt Japanese myself. I am not that good at Japanese but the above is my understanding to those Chinese characters/Kanji that are shared in both two languages and cultures. You are welcome to correct if there is anything not accurate.

I think your explanation is spot on. :biggrin: I also have a Kanji name but never use it since I am not working with Japanese anyway. Japanese and Chinese names are very difficult to explain the meaning to Western people due to different writing systems. :eek:

winterbell

Rinkside
I think your explanation is spot on. :biggrin: I also have a Kanji name but never use it since I am not working with Japanese anyway. Japanese and Chinese names are very difficult to explain the meaning to Western people due to different writing systems. :eek:

Thanks. Actually both Japanese and Chinese people can feel "wow what a beautiful name with great sense" at the first sight of the name. But it doesn't come to me until I tried my best to explain it here in English and I was astonished by the beauty of the name again myself. I hope I have accurately interpret it here.

yay

On the Ice
winterbell, Meoima, damn, it IS beautiful. A few years ago I wanted to start learning the language to try to understand the culture that has always fascinated me. However, I assumed that I'm going to need an extra life or two to be sufficiently fluent in Japanese so I gave up on the idea.
Thank you!

edit
It's incorrect to call it "hieroglyphs" in the first place, isn't it? :biggrin: :slink:

winterbell

Rinkside
winterbell, Meoima, damn, it IS beautiful. A few years ago I wanted to start learning the language to try to understand the culture that has always fascinated me. However, I assumed that I'm going to need an extra life to be sufficiently fluent in Japanese so I gave up on the idea.
Thank you!

It is my pleasure to share my thoughts here. And actually, your profile said you are living in St. Petersburg, I am not sure if it is true or it is just because you like some skater from there like Plushenko or Yagudin. Do you understand Russian? A few days ago, Maxim Kovtun posted a video clip of him doing 4T+3A on his ins. He @ Denis Ten, who then replied something about Yuzuru. I tried google translate but it is totally not understandable to me. I believe it has not been discussed here yet. If yes please point it to me. If not and you do know Russian, would you please explain their conversation to me? Below is the link.

http://instagram.com/p/msTC0yiBak/

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
結 is like "tie" instead of "form". 弦 is bowstring. I think you can take the first character as a verb not a none. So the name means "tie the bowstring to a bow", and the string is going to be beautifully straightened and filled with powerful force, while at the same time it can not be over-intensive to work correctly. This image contains a very oriental and very Japanese aesthetics and philosophy. He said himself in an interview that his father gave him this name and wanted him to be such a person who lives a life simple, but dignified, powerful and graceful. ”弓の弦を結ぶように凛とした生き方をして欲しい” from wiki

But again, I am a Chinese who learnt Japanese myself. I am not that good at Japanese but the above is my understanding to those Chinese characters/Kanji that are shared in both two languages and cultures. You are welcome to correct if there is anything not accurate :)

Wow that explanation was beautiful :love: thank you

phaeljones

On the Ice
Some skaters succeed despite their packaging, others because of it (amazing choreography, beautiful costume, suitable music, good theme...)

We all know Plushy, who usually got criticised that his program are empty, but with his charm and jumping ability, he came very far. Plushy definitely belongs to the 1st group.:)

Some people succeed thanks to the choreography. Yuzuru's R&J 1.0 was a good package for him. But if he stayed with same type of choreography, he might not prove that he can survive in this system with a less amazing choreography.

From now on, no matter what kind of choreography David Wilson or anyone else will create for him, I still support him.;)

Very nice comment, Meoima. (You know that I disagree with you on the costume. ha. ha.) If I have learned one thing from watching Yuzuru over the last several years, it is that he defies not just his critics but sometimes even his fans, and so far has proved himself the better for it every time. Whatever he does, he does it in his own way in a big way, but he is always true to himself and therefore to us.

yay

On the Ice
It is my pleasure to share my thoughts here. And actually, your profile said you are living in St. Petersburg, I am not sure if it is true or it is just because you like some skater from there like Plushenko or Yagudin. Do you understand Russian? A few days ago, Maxim Kovtun posted a video clip of him doing 4T+3A on his ins. He @ Denis Ten, who then replied something about Yuzuru. I tried google translate but it is totally not understandable to me. I believe it has not been discussed here yet. If yes please point it to me. If not and you do know Russian, would you please explain their conversation to me? Below is the link.
http://instagram.com/p/msTC0yiBak/
Yes, I speak Russian.
1. Denis suggests Maxim try it the way Yuzuru does it - with a hop. 2. (Max) Yuzuru has done it the both ways. I'm going to try it again tomorrow. 3. (Denis) No, he hasn't. Otherwise he fails(literally - he flies over the boards). You should try it(the hop). It's easier.

winterbell

Rinkside
Yes, I speak Russian.
1. Denis suggests Maxim try it the way Yuzuru does it - with a hop. 2. (Max) Yuzuru has done it the both ways. I'm going to try it again tomorrow. 3. (Denis) No, he hasn't. Otherwise he fails(literally - he flies over the boards). You should try it(the hop). It's easier.

Thank you! That is why I like this thread! We helped each other out! It is so wonderful to see that people speaking different languages from different countries love Yuzuru the same:love:

Back to the topic Denis and Maxim discussed, it is nice to see how these young skaters learn from and inspire each other. They may want to form a quad lover's group LOL, though I hope they don't jump too much and be gentle to their knees...