Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

lcd

Match Penalty
Getting so excited for Japanese Nationals. Hope the traveling back and forth between Canada and Japan will be well timed for optimal performance at such an important event for Yuzu.

I hope there is a feed or someone will be prompt about posting videos.

The sweepers will have a HUGE job to do at THAT competition :laugh:

Kalina

On the Ice
Getting so excited for Japanese Nationals. Hope the traveling back and forth between Canada and Japan will be well timed for optimal performance at such an important event for Yuzu.

Yuzuru didn't go back to Canada after GPF, so no jet lag problems. He's in Sendai :)

zydeco88

On the Ice
Sportsnavi Article/Transcript of Yuzuru's post-skate comments (presumably after the men's free-skate segment)
Published on December 6, 2013
Source: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20131206-00000010-spnavi-spo

Hanyu, bewildered at the gap between the high scores [and his own evaluation]
"To be honest, it's a bit different from what I had expected"

In the men's free-skate segment On December 6, the second day of Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating, held at Marine Messe Fukuoka, Yuzuru Hanyu of ANA who had a lead in the short program a day earlier, improved his personal best to 193.41 (TES: 102.03, PCS: 92.38, Deduction: 1.00), racking up a combined total personal best of 293.25, an improvement over his previous best by 28 points. With a high score 2.02 points short of the world record, he achieved his first title win at Grand Prix Final.

Despite having smashed his overall personal best score by a huge margin, he commented, "I feel that there isn't any good aspect [in my performance as far as program components are concerned]. My [current] challenge is to constantly produce [such scores] in other competitions."
"Never did I think that I would receive such scores, and to be honest, it's a bit different [from what I had expected]," said Hanyu who was somewhat left in a state of bewilderment by the disparity between the judges' evaluation and what he, himself, perceived regarding the content of his performance. Nonetheless, he remained upbeat and continued, "I'll accept these as expectation scores and I want to make it so that I can produce such scores in various competitions." Lying in anticipation of his 19th birthday which takes place tomorrow (interview published on the 6th, Yuzuru's birthday on the 7th), he spoke of his goals for the Olympic year, "Heading into next year, I'd like to keep doing my best in a way that allows me to turn in good scores and produce much better performances."

The following are Hanyu's post-skate comments.
-Hanyu "Rather than winning or losing, I placed more value on how well I can grow [through this competition]"

"[The whole time] I was thinking [to myself] that I should go all-out and skate my best. Prior to the the quad salchow, I couldn't help but think about various things, about what I should do to carry off the jump, what I need to watch out for, and nothing else. I was too preoccupied with many thoughts, [much to my disadvantage,] but that's precisely what enabled me to redirect my thought and give the quad toe loop everything I had."

(Regarding the high program components score) "I feel that there isn't any good aspect [in my performance as far as program components are concerned]. I do think that I was facing towards the judges' direction more than usual, and I also had it in mind to sell my programs to the judges. However, there were quite a lot of instances where my emotions got ahead of me and my skating couldn't keep up with them, and *where I thought that the steps in the transition should've been done earlier*. So my [current] challenge is to constantly produce such scores, not only at this competition, but also at other competitions."

(*...* Translator's Note: I 'm not sure about this one. Do correct me if wrong.)

(It seems to me that you maintained your line of sight straight up [at or above eye level throughout the program]) "I was giving everything within my power on the steps. I also think I moved my body [more fluidly] and that's exactly because I've been working on it in training. At this event, I did my best while keeping myself aware [of the performance aspect of skating]."

(What is the significance of winning a GPF title?) "Rather than winning or losing, I placed more value on how well I can grow [through this competition]. I approached this competition attaching more importance to the experience that I would be able to get. I think I just happened to win, that's what I honestly feel. I did well in the SP and my FS score was propped up. GPF is GPF, Sochi Olympics is Sochi Olympics, Nationals is Nationals. When the time comes, everything is gonna be completely different."

(You lost your balance on the final spin) "I was totally spent. For the first time in a while, I couldn't move *smiles wryly*. I haven't felt like this since Finlandia Trophy, so I need to work much harder on improving my stamina."

(You looked calm and composed for the past two days) "All I could think about was to give everything all I had, regardless of what may happen. Thus far, at Skate Canada and Trophée Eric Bompard, I was constantly thinking about Patrick, or should I say, about the difference [in our skills], about the point differential between us, to what extent should I strive in order to close the gap, and nothing else. I was breaking down those things in my head, involuntarily. At this competition, I got rid of those thoughts and just focused on putting my best foot forward. And I think this tied in well with the good result."

(When the scores came out, the look you had on your face was not the look of victory) "Never did I think that I would receive such scores, and to be honest, it's a bit different [from what I had expected]. But since I've been given such evaluation [by the judges], I'll accept these as expectation scores and I want to make it so that I can produce such scores in various competitions."

(After moving to Canada, how much improvement do you think you've made on skating skills?) "When I had a practice skate in the 6-min warm-ups and official practices, I gather that [it's improved to the point where] I've come to be able to skate pretty well. This time I couldn't skate as much as I wanted to in the free, which could probably be chalked up to the fatigue from the failure on the quad salchow. I could skate to a greater extent in practices and at Trophée Eric Bompard, so going forward, I've got to work myself to the bone."

(Translator's notes: I think the meaning of the word 'skate' used in this context is confined to the criteria defined in ISU Communication wrt skating skills. So, Yuzuru was probably referring to the quality of his glide/speed/power across the ice and of his edges/steps/turns, excluding the technical aspect of skating (jumps in particular).
"This time I couldn't skate as much as I wanted to in the free" = though it wasn't specifically underlined here, he was most probably talking about the quality of his skating in the second half. I gather this from a Number Bunshun article which quotes Yuzuru as saying, "The fall on the opening quad salchow took quite a physical toll on me. Particularly, I couldn't skate as much as I wanted to in the second half."
)

(Tomorrow is your birthday, how would you like to spend the coming year as a 19-year-old?) "I've finally wrapped up my final skate as an 18-year-old. I feel a little bit relieved. I still have to face a lot of challenges, but heading into next year, I'd like to keep doing my best in a way that allows me to turn in good scores and produce much better performances."

SuzyQ

Medalist
Yuzuru in Sendai! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bMZHvfF6Qs

A comparison between Skate Canada and GPF R&J , a work in progress ...
Once again , many thanks Yuzu Yoosu ! :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOpyZUEcEJU

Thank you giulia95 :yay:

Now I can see clearly Yuzuru's last posing was the other way round as he said in the interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok0L-dtQ-Jo
(around 5:08 - 5:25)

Yuzuru: It was the opposite side.
Matsuoka: Opposite hand, you mean?
Yuzuru: No. I finished facing the opposite side of the judges.
Matsuoka: You could not stand up? What happened?
Yuzuru: My legs were weary and worn out for the first time in a long time.

Anyone noticed? I never noticed.
Poor boy, he was too exhausted to keep the posing after the last spin.
But, this is Yuzuru. He always does his best, to the extreme :cry:

zydeco88

On the Ice
Thanks for posting the link to the video, giulia95! Here's the translation.

Fuji TV News 'Suporuto', A Special Feature on Yuzuru Hanyu, December 16, 2013

Translation:
Up next is the deciding round for the selection of Sochi Olympic delegates, due to get underway in a little less than one week, The All-Japan Figure Skating Championships.
Starting from today, we will be introducing the highly-competitive field of men's singles.

Text: All-Japan Figure Skating Championships Sports Special
Yuzuru Hanyu: The "Ultimate Strategy" that led him to win against the World Champion

At present, regarded as the closest candidate for the Sochi Olympic Team is the 19-year-old Grand Prix Final Champion, Yuzuru Hanyu.
The key to his strength this season lies in a certain strategy.

Text: A special battle that comes once in every four years is drawing close
The Final Qualifier for The Selection of Members of Japanese Olympic Delegation in Sochi
The 2013 All-Japan Figure Skating Championships, 6 days left until the curtain is raised!

Yuzuru: I think that it's perhaps by competing against Patrick that I'm able to get the best picture of my growth [as a skater].

Text: December 6, Fukuoka
GP Final Men's Free Segment

This month on the 6th, at the Grand Prix Final, his third direct confrontation with Patrick Chan this season, Yuzuru Hanyu finally defeated the Supreme World Champion.

Text: December last year, Sapporo, All-Japan Figure Skating Championships

For the young challenger who has just recently turned 19, the next competitor he will be up against is none other than his Senior who put up a fierce fight at the All-Japan Championships last year, Daisuke Takahashi.

Yuzuru: Indeed I was able to become a National champion that time, but Mr. Daisuke's performance was needless to say more incredible. Naturally I felt dissatisfied

Text: August this year, Toronto, Canada
This time I want to become the best in Japan with convincing performances. To that end, Hanyu continuously worked on polishing his range of expression during the off-season, however, his greatest weapon is after all, jumps. His ability to execute two types of quads, quad salchow and quad toe loop, has always been under the spotlight, but Hanyu's real strength actually lies in the layout of jumps that takes advantage of the current rules in the most optimal way possible.

Text: The Secret to His Strength = Jump Layout

Let's take a look at the basic breakdown of Hanyu's technical scores at the Grand Prix Final with the emphasis on the jump elements.

The important points are as follows:
1. Combinations cannot be executed more than 3 times
2. Additionally, for each jump executed in the physically-demanding second half, 1.1 multiplier to the base value will be awarded as a bonus.
Such are the two rules.

For such element which can only be executed a maximum number of 3 and receive 1.1 base multiplier, Hanyu includes all his combinations in the second half.
And this is the jump layout comparison with the supreme World Champion, Patrick Chan:
As repetition of individual jump of the same type (or designated name) is prohibited, one of the quad toes in the first half of Chan's program must be incorporated into a combination. This element has a high base value, hence his huge lead of 9.32 points over Hanyu.
However, Hanyu's counterattack starts from here, with the arrival of the second half where the 1.1 base multiplier is applicable.
By hitting all three combinations which include two highly-difficult jump elements, triple axels, he forges ahead with a huge score, thus outstripping Chan.
Conversely, he's able to create a huge overall advantage of 7.34 points.

Yuzuru: I'm really grateful that you've taken the effort to understand it *laughs*
Personally, I think that my ability to skate and think at the same time is probably one of the special qualities I could attribute to my skating.

Text: November 2009, All-Japan Junior Championships
What should I do to be able to rise even higher?
Hanyu lays out his plans in a tangible form

Yuzuru: This is my target for this season
TV Crew: Mind showing that to the camera a little bit?
Yuzuru: I thought that it'd be easier to accomplish things if I write them specifically on papers
TV Crew: 227.20 points. Are you an analytical type of person by nature?
Yuzuru: quite a mathematically-inclined person
TV Crew: Mathematically-inclined! *Laughs* I see.

That's right. Even from way back then, Yuzuru Hanyu has always been a mathematically-inclined skater who skates while keeping tabs on numbers.
However, he also keeps in mind to mount his passion on top of his strategy.

Yuzuru: Naturally I don't wish to forget how important it is to persevere and give my utmost best when I'm actually performing out there. The Nationals might be a competition that puts us under the greatest pressure, but I think that's precisely why it's important to learn to direct my emotions to my own self, to focus on myself.

It's an All-Japan Championships that comes once every four years, a competition that even Daisuke Takahashi whom Hanyu respects and whose experience is beyond doubt unbeatable to Hanyu, has declared to have a dreadfully frightening atmosphere.
The extreme nerves brought about by the Olympic Team Selection is precisely the very thing that the 19-year-old has to overcome.
Time to get through another tribulation!

The existing rules governing the sports of figure skating are the product of amendments since the Vancouver Olympics. Hanyu's programs make full utilization of the rules. In order to further develop his stamina, Hanyu wears a mask in practices to create a [mild] state of hypoxia, and thus reinforcing his cardiopulmonary functions. Please pay a great attention to Hanyu's second-half combination jumps.

giulia95

Medalist
Here's the translation.

Fuji TV News 'Suporuto', A Special Feature on Yuzuru Hanyu, December 16, 2013

[/B]

thank you very much for translation Suzy and Zydeco!!:)

wow for the "quite a mathematically-inclined person" !

... and for the mask to develop stamina... samurai spirit!

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
A huge thank you to all who translate. :clap: I have learned so much about Yuzu from the translations. Yuzuru is so amazing :biggrin: and I can't wait to see him at the Olympic Games showing the world what he can do!! :yay:

zydeco88

On the Ice
Sponichi Article, published on December 7, 2013
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/12/07/kiji/K20131207007151700.html

Not a full translation as the content is mostly similar to the other articles. So, I just translated the portion which contains a new information regarding Yuzu's physical conditioning.

体は細身に映るが、ソチ五輪シーズンとなる今季に向け、肉体改造に取り組んできた。昨季まで「体力もないし、疲れてくると姿勢が気になる」と不安を抱えていたが、今は違う。体幹トレーニングで腹筋、背筋を鍛えるだけでなく下半身も強化。「脚もだんだん太くなっている」。昨季より体重は約800グラム軽くなったが、逆に筋肉量は増えた。この日は「疲れた。これだけ動かないのは久しぶり」と反省したが、中性的なルックスからは想像不可能な鋼の肉体を手に入れつつある。

His body gives an impression of a slender build, however, he has been working on shaping up his body as he gears himself up for the Sochi Olympic season. Up until last season, Hanyu would harbour anxieties [about the lack of his physical endurance], "I don't have stamina and whenever I get tired, I become worried about my posture." But now, it's another story. Through core training (trunk/torso conditioning), not only does he build up his abdominal and dorsal muscles, but his lower extremities are also strengthened. "My legs are gradually becoming fatter (thicker)." Compared to last season, his weight has been reduced by approximately 800 gram, on the other hand, his muscle mass has increased. This day, he reflected [back on his performance], "I was spent. Been a while since the last time I couldn't move like this." For someone possessing androgynous looks, he is on his way to obtaining a body of steel inconceivable to the mind.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Fuji TV Super News or FNN, December 18, 2013
Super News: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18jp6y_20131218-yuzu_sport
FNN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBoxJoly1N8

Translation:
In the City of Trees*, signaling the advent of winter is the Pageant of Starlight**.
Last week, about seven days before the curtain is raised on All-Japan Championships, Yuzuru Hanyu's figure was seen in hometown, Sendai, Miyagi.
At an ice rink that he's grown accustomed to since childhood, he spends a bulk of quality time on his own.

Yuzuru: When it comes to talking about the place where I was brought up, honestly I can't help but feel that it's something 'ordinary', and I think that the word sounds befittingly true. However, rather than making a sweeping definition that 'it's [merely] a place where I grew up', I'd prefer to think of it as a place that reminds me of something little by little.
Young Yuzuru: I enjoy skating the most ...

Boyhood, the time he discovered the joy of skating.
And then, on March 11, 2011, at the time of The Great East Japan Earthquake, Hanyu was also here in this Sendai's ice rink.
While wishing for the recovery [of the stricken area] from the Earthquake, he embraces the feeling of gratitude for being allowed to skate.

Text: Skate Shop, NICE, Sendai
To Hanyu, there exists a man who supports him in Sendai.
He is Toshinobu Yoshida, a blade sharpening technician whose job is to sharpen the blades of skating boots, the lifeline for [ice] skating athletes.
Hanyu trusts Mr. Yoshida to such an extent that he takes the trouble to send his skating boots from his training base in Canada once a month.

Yoshida: Depending on the degree of the wear and tear on the blades, I can get a general picture of what he's currently practicing, of what jumps he's desperately working on. Rather than restoring (repairing) the part of the blades that has been worn and torn after much skating, the goal is to accurately renew the edges using the part that hasn't really been subjected to wear and tear. [The blade metal] is hardly removed, really, only several microns [are scraped off].

If we take a close look at a figure skate blade, there's actually a hollow running through the middle section.
The edge towards the inside of the the foot is the 'inside edge'. The edge towards the outside is called the 'outside edge'.
The more he skates, the more abraded are both sides of the edges. By having them sharpened by Mr. Yoshida, the edges are renewed.
The use of these edges is the very essence of figure skating.
At a glance, [these two] jump elements, Flip and Lutz, bear a close resemblance, but they are in fact different by virtue of whether the inside or the outside edge is used [on the take-off].
In the case of Lutz, which has higher [base] value than the inside-edge Flip, the inside edge is used halfway through [the approach], however, directly before the jump is launched, a change to the outside edge takes place.
Until here, he runs on the inside edge. Here, a change to the outside edge takes place.

The blade sharpening technician, Mr. Yoshida speaks of the things he watches out for before sharpening Hanyu's blades.

Yoshida: I watch out for the sounds he makes while skating or the manner the ice chips fly [off the blades]. Knowing the difference is a very intuitive process, so if I'm questioned about where the difference lies and in what ways it is different, I can't really put it into words. Could it possibly be something that is only understood by me? I have no idea.

A very fine difference in the edges that only Mr. Yoshida can locate.
How the ice is cut as he skates
serves as a testament to how well the blades are sharpened.

Yuzuru: I've had him look at [my blades] since I was young and he knows my preferences very well. Mr. Yoshida creates edges that fit my bill. Naturally, I believe that there is a mutual trusting relationship [between us] in that regard.

Having emerged victorious at the Grand Prix Final, Hanyu is one step ahead [of the other competitors] in the race for a spot on the Olympic Team.
By winning a consecutive title at the All-Japan Championships, he will get hold of the ticket to Sochi.

Yuzuru: If I get to go to the Olympics, I'll really [work hard] in order to deliver good performances on that stage, but first and foremost, I'd like to properly give my very best in a way that allows me to have a good experience and good performances at the All-Japan Championships.

Translator's Notes:
*City of Trees: a nickname given to Sendai city due to the abundance of its greenery
**Pageant of Starlight: seasonal tradition of Sendai which has taken place since 1986 and lasting through most of December, where trees in Sendai's main avenues are illuminated with thousands of lights.

giulia95

Medalist

Thank you very much Zydeco for your great job, it’s so interesting!!:)

Certainly blades of Top notch skaters are like a rare and special musical instrument , a sort of Stradivari violin played by a virtuoso musician , and they need a lot of special cares and treatments...

If I remember correctly , Mr. Yoshida is Nanami Abe’s husband. Isn’t he?

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Thank you very much Zydeco for your great job, it’s so interesting!!:)

Certainly blades of Top notch skaters are like a rare and special musical instrument , a sort of Stradivari violin played by a virtuoso musician , and they need a lot of special cares and treatments...

Yup, I believe he is. Thanks again zydeco!!!

zydeco88

On the Ice
Yes, at least according to this article, published back in 2008 by Sendai Keizai Shimbun, a local newspaper. It is specifically stated there that Toshinobu Yoshida is Nanami Abe's husband. The idea to start up the store came up when her husband posed her a question, "Where do Sendai skaters purchase their skating goods?" The situation was such that there were no specialty stores that could provide skating equipment and supplies in Tohoku region, much less Sendai, so skaters had to either travel long distance or use a mail order service to purchase the goods. Toshinobu Yoshida then took on the role as a skate technician, specialized in blade sharpening as well as boot maintenance and repair. IIRC, you can also get a glimpse of his boot repair kiosk in 'The Spirit of the Athletes' documentary. 2013 is the sixth year he's been sharpening Yuzuru's blades.

As far as I know, 'Abe' is Nanami's maiden name. In August this year, JOC organized and conducted an honorary award ceremony to accord recognition to outstanding individuals for their sporting achievements and/or contribution to sports within the period of January 23, 2012 - April 23, 2013 . The awards were directly conferred by Hakubun Shimomura, Japan's Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) to about 160 recipients, including Mao, Akiko, Daisuke, Yuzuru, Utako Nagamitsu, Hiroshi Nagakubo, Nanami and other individuals from various sports disciplines. And this is the list of the recipients.
Scroll down to page 7 and you can see that Nanami's name is listed as Nanami Yoshida, Ice Rink Sendai, Yuzuru Hanyu's coach (2012 World Figure Skating Championships). I initially thought that she has probably decided to adopt her husband's name but on the second thought, it could be that she's been using her maiden name in professional settings and retains her married name on legal documents.

giulia95

Medalist
thank you very much again Zydeco!!:)

Yoshida said that " Depending on the degree of the wear and tear on the blades, I can get a general picture of what he's currently practicing, of what jumps he's desperately working on." and this is sooo Yuzuru !:laugh: