Evgenia Medvedeva: 2016-17 season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva: 2016-17 season

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was responding to why I believe Hanyu is less likely to get his skating picked apart, though there is some of that with every skater.

Oh, this one's easy. Hanyu gets less criticism because people are too afraid to. You say something even mildly critical of him and his giant fanbase descends en masse to start attacking you.

Evgenia gets the attacking she does because Yuna and Mao fans absolutely cannot accept that there might be someone better than they were.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I definitely think she will work hard to fix her Lutz. As a back to back World Champion, she is the clear favorite going into the Olympics. She and Eteri are well aware that she has a target on her back. Med has all momentum going into next season and barring an injury, I only see perfect skates by Osmond, Gabby, Wagner, Gold, or Kostner as having any shot at her. Even then, I think it would take a mistake ridden program for Med to lose. If they all skate perfectly, Med has the best balance of tech and artistry followed closely by Kaetlyn Osmond.

My question is could Osmond or Daleman build enough momentum to possibly pass her when they're all perfect?

mrrice

Record Breaker
My question is could Osmond or Daleman build enough momentum to possibly pass her when they're all perfect?

It will all come down to the construction of the program. There is already a debate, certainly when it comes to PCS that Kaetlyn is the best performer in the World. Med has the edge in difficulty and like them or not, her back loaded tano filled programs get points......I'm so excited to for the new season to begin.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will all come down to the construction of the program. There is already a debate, certainly when it comes to PCS that Kaetlyn is the best performer in the World. Med has edge in difficulty and like them or not, her back loaded tano filled programs get points......I'm so excited to for the new season to begin.

Well if we're opening that can of worms I think Mariah Bell is certainly on equal footing with better programs :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well if we're opening that can of worms I think Mariah Bell is certainly on equal footing with better programs :)

TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, if she can put 2 solid programs together, she could do some damage. It's her lack of consistency that has plagued her in the past. At this point, I'd still put my eggs in Karen's basket. She has looked great in the shows and unlike Gracie, has not lost her form. This gives her a distinct advantage going into the new season.

andromache

Record Breaker
No she did not. She showed that she is a junior with some crazy tech. Her FS pcs was 10 points below Medvedeva and 5 points below Sotskova and Pogorilaya. Pcs is the main indicator to distinguish junior and senior skaters with similar TES. I am sure that if she grows in her skating and if she is consistent her pcs can grow by the OG just enough to make her one of the key podium contenders. But I don't think the judges will be ready to give her Medvedeva's scores.

I'm going to go ahead and surmise that Alina's lower PCS had nothing to do with her actual skating and more to do with the fact that everyone knew she was a junior internationally, and it simply looks bad whenever a junior gets higher PCS than a senior. It lowers the value of the senior skaters, which obviously no federation wants to do. Otherwise we'd see Anastasia Gubanova getting sky-high PCS due to how darn good of a performer and skater she is.

Skating juniorish doesn't matter if you've got the jumps and the consistency.

Eteri is insanely good at getting her ladies to become pretty excellent, mature performers at a young age. Alina isn't there yet, but I'll be shocked if she isn't by next season. It will be interesting to see what music they choose for her LP next season - music pieces for ALL jumps in the second half are probably tough to come by. Her Don Quixote was charming and energetic, but lacked depth and nuance. I'm excited to see how she has developed artistically by next season.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Nice to see all the Medvedeva hate posts neatly merged and organized into a single thread. :laugh:

live undertone

Rinkside
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...genija_Medvedeva_Mne_nado_uslozhnat_programmy
Med said that she need harder program because her current jump set is not for the highest level. She was asked what she need to do for. Med replies that what she is going to do is fixing lutz for more cascade variations. Then she repeated that she needs lutz, now it is time for not only talking about, and understand well that she hasn't program difficulty as some others has

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nice to see all the Medvedeva hate posts neatly merged and organized into a single thread. :laugh:

I don't think it's hate, I think it's jealousy. One World Championship is fine, once you win a second or more, jealousy comes calling. Plushy, Patrick, Michelle, and others have all gone through it. Maria Butyrskaya went though it and she only won one.....:drama:

Last edited:

gsyzf

Medalist
I don't think it's hate, I think it's jealousy. One World Championship is fine, once you win a second or more, jealousy comes calling. Plushy, Patrick, Michelle, and others have all gone through it. Maria Butyrskaya went though it and she only won one.....:drama:

I think it's indeed jealousy. "How can an inferior skater (or skater I don't like) be more successful/gets more reward than a superior skater (or skater I like/emotionally invested in)? That's unfair." That's exactly what jealousy is.

Jealousy is a scary thing. Jealousy causes many people to do/say bad things. I remember a friend's advice on overcoming jealousy is to be humble, be grateful of what you already have, focus on other people's strength and not focus on others' weakness.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it's indeed jealousy. "How can an inferior skater (or skater I don't like) be more successful/gets more reward than a superior skater (or skater I like/emotionally invested in)? That's unfair." That's exactly what jealousy is.

Jealousy is a scary thing. Jealousy causes many people to do/say bad things. I remember a friend's advice on overcoming jealousy is to be humble, be grateful of what you already have, focus on other people's strength and not focus on others' weakness.

I have to agree, and I find it very sad. Figure skating is an international sport. There are skaters from every corner of the World and that's something we should all celebrate. I realize that not everyone can travel to Russia, Japan, Canada, or the US. However, everyone can read. I remember a fluff piece that followed Ukrainian skater Elena Liashenko on her daily training. She had to wake up at dawn, walk to the train station, ride for an hour, and then train in a freezing box they called a rink. If people are jealous, I get it. It's when they become disrespectful, that I have a problem.

Do some research on how these champions became champions. It doesn't come in a can. There are great sacrifices that are made by the skater, their family, and sometimes their friends. I have always said that I didn't have a normal childhood however, I can't imagine choosing a different path than the one I took. Look at Rudy Galindo, I remember seeing the trailer he grew up in a fluff piece. He talked about how he thought his career was over after he and Kristi split and how it took a miracle to get back to the top of US skating with the help of only his sister Laura.

Have a look at this news story about Rudy...Try not to get too irritated with Christine Brennan who every network seems to call when they need an expert on skating.....:disapp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sL1uDloZ2o

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker

so all people who think that something is unfair are just jealous people? :rolleye:
Do you think people here are being unfair to Evgenia? I guess you are just jelous :sarcasm:

it is not true. I really like Evgenia as person and I think she has improved tremendously in her skating, but there are still stuff that I don´ t like about her. Her programs especially bothers me, and yes, I think it is unfair that her and some other girls get a pass with their flutz.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
so all people who think that something is unfair are just jealous people? :rolleye:

it is not true. I really like Evgenia as person and I think she has improved tremendously in her skating, but there are still stuff that I don´ t like about her. Her programs especially bothers me, and yes, I think it is unfair that her and some other girls get a pass with their flutz.

Certainly not. What I think is that their anger/jealousy is misplaced. If they're upset, it's the judges they need to speak to. These skaters train and perform and that's the only control they have over how the judges will score them. Scream at the panel and leave the skaters out of it.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Why mods changed the title once again? For me it's abuse of power.

And not again that BŚ assumption that those who dare to criticize Medvedeva or system are jealous. It's getting stale.

Last edited:

Plisskin

Medalist
Why mods changed the title once again? For me it's abuse of power.

And not again that BŚ assumption that those who dare to criticize Medvedeva or system are jealous. It's getting stale.
There's been plenty of threads of other skaters where their PCS or jump flaws get critiqued but the thread title isn't changed to something more PC. Hopefully they're fair and do this for all skaters from now on then instead of just Medvedeva.....

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm assuming the thread title was changed because the discussion evolved to discuss Evgenia's skating as a whole, not just her flutz....

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I can't remember other threads where the heading was clearly negative about a certain lady skater. Of course, Medvedeva is a "rare exception". Just quickly browsed through last season's titles. I am sure there was more like that. I wonder if there is a single thread with a similar style heading on any other lady, senior or junior from any country? Anyway, I think the following incomplete list is enough, hence, changing this thread name is quite welcome.

Should "Backloading" be penalized?
Does Medvédeva believes herself...?
Question about Evgenia's step sequence.
The Underrotated Jumps of Evgenia Medvedeva
Evgenia Medevdeva has "effortless" jumps

Yes, the mistakes in her name spelling even in the title have been preserved.

Last edited: