2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection

Tallorder

On the Ice
TBD slots can go to skaters outside of their host team, correct? for example, TBD Canada/Men doesn't HAVE to go to a Canadian, does it? (maybe poor example as obviously Canada will look to fill with a Canadian). But t h e o r e t i c a l l y ...?

Mattieu

Medalist
TBD slots can go to skaters outside of their host team, correct? for example, TBD Canada/Men doesn't HAVE to go to a Canadian, does it? (maybe poor example as obviously Canada will look to fill with a Canadian). But t h e o r e t i c a l l y ...?

Yes, the host can invite any team it likes for the host spots.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
In fact, all other JWC also in the Top 24 SB list and it was guaranteed at least one. Also, Parsons got only one assignment.
They can earn more WS points from JGP (by competing two) and Olympic team qualification also consider JGP points.

If Katia and Harley want to do JGP series, like Anna Duskova and Martin Bidar last season, because of WS points etc., that's different story. It surely wouldn't hurt them. But I thought they wanted to turn fully senior, and can anyone remember a JWC who didn't get a GP assignment in last years? Parsons hopefully will get a host pick from SA, which will be a second GP. Aleksandrovskaya/Windsor can't count on that...

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
if katia and harley want to do JGP series, like Anna Duskova and Martin Bidar last season, becaus eof WS points etc., that's different story. It surely wouldn;t hurt them. But I thought thwy wanted to turn fully senior, and can anyone remember a JWC who didn't get a GP assignement in last years? Parsons hopefully will get a host pick from SA, which will be a second GP. Aleksandrovskaya/Windsor can't count on that...

Maybe they will get an invite from France or Japan?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Maybe they will get an invite from France or Japan?

Well, I can hope :) And I do realize that lists change literally 10 times sometimes, because of splits, injuries etc., so they still have chances, but it's not nice to be kept in uncertainity for long... (you know, visas and other things that need to be taken care of beforenhand)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I had assumed that all JWC were guaranteed a GP spot?

(Can Mrs. P or another expert help us out here? Lol)

This year's announcement has not come out yet. But in the previous announcement, it only says that JWC medals (and JGPF winner) will only be "included in the selection process." But says nothing about guaranteed spots. Seems that rule went away in recent years
Medallists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2016and the goldmedallists from the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2015/16will be included in the selection process. Skaters/Couples who have stated their intention to skate as Senior in the season 2016/17might be included in the Grand Prix event(s) if they fulfil the requirements of the minimum Grand Prix score.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
LOL GP France changes its name again??? Internationaux de France?? IdF??

SUPER excited for fresh seniors: Marin, Alina, Yuna, Polina (please stay healthy), Jun Hwan and Vincent!

And welcome back Joshua and Dice!!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Omgmgmmmmmmggmgmgmgmmgmmggmgmgmgmgmgmgmmgmgmgmgmm kevin is doing skate america!

Update: I literally shrieked out loud and started shaking in excitement when I saw the assignment!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I had assumed that all JWC were guaranteed a GP spot?

(Can Mrs. P or another expert help us out here? Lol)

This year's announcement has not come out yet. But in the previous announcement, it only says that JWC medals (and JGPF winner) will only be "included in the selection process." But says nothing about guaranteed spots. Seems that rule went away in recent years

For at least the past few years, the ISU has said:
Medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final gold medalists are guaranteed one spot.

The language has been in an annual ISU news release before the GP season starts. The document for the 2016-17 season is here:

[I am not claiming to be an expert, but over the years, I have posted this link (or an analogous one from previous seasons) umpteen times because the question keeps coming up.]

... I don't understand why USFSA is sending Karen and Ashley together both times. Granted, SC and SA are safe options but still...

USFS is not "sending" anyone to Skate Canada International.
Skate Canada chose Karen and Ashley for its GP.

It's possible that federations attempt to do some behind-the-scenes lobbying/negotiating, but ultimately the host federation makes the choices for its GP.

Last edited:

icybear

Medalist
Unlucky for Boyang to have to go to Skate America esp as its the last event. The scoring is going to be really messed up. The judges will really make sure Chen wins and maybe squeeze Rippon into the final.

DexterK

On the Ice
No spot for Lipnitskaya. I understand, though I'm still a little saddened that we won't see her on the Grand Prix this season. I see there is one open spot, but somehow I don't see the federation giving it to her. I am hopeful, but doubtful.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Yes, Ice deficiencies Fixing, j'espère!

Methinks the only fixing the French federation will be doing is the judging. :biggrin:

And yay! My Czech pair babies got two spots! :love: Hope they get their Olympic spot at Nebelhorn!

Sui & Han have back to back assignments but both are in Asia, so it's not that big a deal. In fact, with the exception of Worlds, all their events next year (including the GPF) will be in Asia. Everything is falling into place for an Olympic gold, I hope. :)

In terms of competition over each event: pairs, men, and women are exciting while ice dance is kind of a snooze with the exception of Rostelecom... will BoboSol magically start scoring way better?

Nice to have this come out, but I have to admit it's kind of a tease to release this so early. :biggrin: The series is still 4.5 months away!

Edited to add: Realized GRANDMA LEONOVA GOT 2 SPOTS! :yahoo: She proves your career isn't over even in Russia when you get 9 points worth of neutral deductions in a free skate. #Leonova4PyeongChang

Last edited:

tars

Record Breaker
China: Daleman, Zijun Li, Higuchi, Honda, Mihara, Radionova, Tuktamysheva, Zagitova, Gold.

:dbana: