Montreal wins bid for 2020 Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Montreal wins bid for 2020 Worlds

mrrice

Record Breaker
i meant from the montreal cultural scene... i think he lives in the usa... and has been doing that for years now ;)

You're correct. He know lives in Oregon. I wonder if he ever crosses paths with Tonya Harding who still lives in Portland.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Skate Canada and the ISU may be figuring out what's the best timing for this event. I recall SC offered two different weeks for it, and they had one week that was preferred. I can see them wanting to be 100% sure of the timing after having Autumn Classic moved by the ISU and considering hotels and other things need to be booked.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
As per my Facebook status the other day, this is going to be one hell of a party, it'll be like a GS Boston reunion! I may have to forego my plans to go to the GP final in Vancouver in 2018 to save resources but I'm ready for an all out week of joy in Montreal! Who's with me?!?!?!?!?!? :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Canada and the ISU may be figuring out what's the best timing for this event. I recall SC offered two different weeks for it, and they had one week that was preferred. I can see them wanting to be 100% sure of the timing after having Autumn Classic moved by the ISU and considering hotels and other things need to be booked.

Perhaps that's why they haven't made a formal announcement yet since they haven't nailed down the dates.

(I'm really excited b/c I found condos for rent on Airbnb that are next to the Bell Centre. Won't be able to make reservations until 2019 but good to know!)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Likely Winnie. It is a business and the more seats sold, the better the financial picture for all the parties involved. I don't think after the GP Final this past season, that we will be seeing a Worlds in Marseilles, anytime soon ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Get your Quebecois on :D

I just thought about that.......I know it will be televised in every language but, will the arena be announcing worlds in French? My German is still good but, I think I understand more Russian than I do French. Yikes............:think:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just thought about that.......I know it will be televised in every language but, will the arena be announcing worlds in French? My German is still good but, I think I understand more Russian than I do French. Yikes............:think:

At Skate Canada last year in Mississauga, all announcements were made in French and English.

I think that's how it's done across the country since Canada is bi-lingual. Any Montreal area folks care to confirm?

mrrice

Record Breaker
0 downtown montreal : everyone speaks english

- - - Updated - - -

insert any swear words....

it's nasty even the last few days... and we are in june

True. Even the subway, bus, and business signs were in both languages.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I recounted this story on FSU, so just skip it if it's old news, or just in general:biggrin:

If your background is "French" French, it may not be much help. Back in the day, I was pretty near fluent for an Anglophone. In Parisian French. And I thought I was prepared for Québécois French, the broad nasal sounds, the short "i", etc, etc. My first trip to Montréal, I barely muddled through most conversations, tabernacle! :eeking: I guess it's a good sign that no one I spoke French with replied in English, but that was the *only* good sign. I was so demoralized I called my "French French" friends on the phone to reassure myself I did understand the language:laugh:

None of this would of course stop me from another visit if skaters I love are at Worlds in 2020:agree:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I recounted this story on FSU, so just skip it if it's old news, or just in general:biggrin:

If your background is "French" French, it may not be much help. Back in the day, I was pretty near fluent for an Anglophone. In Parisian French. And I thought I was prepared for Québécois French, the broad nasal sounds, the short "i", etc, etc. My first trip to Montréal, I barely muddled through most conversations, tabernacle! :eeking: I guess it's a good sign that no one I spoke French with replied in English, but that was the *only* good sign. I was so demoralized I called my "French French" friends on the phone to reassure myself I did understand the language:laugh:

None of this would of course stop me from another visit if skaters I love are at Worlds in 2020:agree:

wow...... i wonder when was the last time you visited Montreal because you describe it like it perhaps was in the 1970s-80s.

1) since then Quebecois still are proud from their specially coloured French but also realise to slow down and tone down the idioms when meeting foreigners
2) since then, so much immigration from Northern Africa and France has made the French much more "international" you have no idea how many French French live here... in certain areas of town, I hear it more than Quebec French.... I'd say that 75% of my clients from one neighbourhood in particular (le Plateau) are from France.
3) In some ways, talking about Quebec's French like this (not saying like you are yourself doing it) has been looked as derogatory... why is a regional accent, the one in Montreal or by the way, did you know the French in Quebec city is also very different??? is to be looked as less proper than the French French??? Do people think that there is only one kind of English? the one from London UK? It's like if I were to say... well I am not sure I want to visit the midwest.. they speak funny....