New skates | Golden Skate

New skates

Prettykitty314

Spectator
Hello,
I’m relatively new to figure skating, I first got on the ice about four years ago, but I only started really getting into it a year ago.
I ended last year at basic 6/freestyle 1, in a pair of American Athletic beginner skates.
To start this year I bought a pair of Jackson Freestyle skates.
I would really appreciate some tips on caring for them, especially how to seal the leather boot and soles (if I need to?).

Also: I bought the skates online (they fit great), I don't have any skate shops in my town, the only place that actually sells skates is Scheel’s (hockey skates only). The closest skate shop is four hours away.

Thank you.

joonieskates

Rinkside
Even if the skate shop is 4 hours away, next time you need skates, go. its not recommended at all to buy skates online because you haven't been properly fitted, jacksons might not be right for your feet. I'm not saying they AREN'T right but i'm just saying, never do it again. the 4 hour journey will be 100% worth it as you'll know you haven't wasted the money. i don't know how much you already know about skate care so i might say things you already know.

To answer the question, all i can think of is:

1) don't store them in hard guards. use a towel to dry off the blade AND sole (maybe the boot if it needs it, but i usually don't get the boot wet) and then put them in soakers. never let any of the blade rust.

2) i think you can get sno seal to waterproof the boots.

3) get a bag that is specifically for ice skates, the ones that are shaped like boots.

4) you can get a a leather polish to look after the leather. make sure that it is definitely for leather. i think edea makes one but i'm not sure.

5) when you tie your laces, don't wrap the lace around the ankle, it breaks the boot down prematurely. (I used to make this mistake but thankfully was educated not to do it)

6) make sure you've broken them in before skating in them because you will kill your feet. put on your skates like you're just about to skate in them and wear them when you're not doing anything that needs movement (like watching tv, using laptop, doing homework etc) and they'll mould to your feet and be less painful. don't give up skating because they hurt, you just haven't broken them in. make sure you have hard guards on.

Mussique

On the Ice
What @joonieskates said, and an obvious one but that some people surprisingly forget:
1) never never ever walk on a hard surface in your skates without your guards on.

2) Also these types of guards (link) are way better than this ones (link), so don't try to save 5€ buying the cheaper ones.
3) finally, when you're finished skating and you're storing your skates, loosen the laces first so you don't put any more unnecessary stress in them and the boot, and be sure you're letting the inside dry too. This keeps bad odors at bay.

joonieskates

Rinkside
I totally agree with Mussique on the type of guards. I've had both types of guards, and the ones in the second link are literally useless. They FALL OFF my blades when i walk (or when i'm not) and don't cover most of my blade. they are complete garbage and i regret wasting my money.

i remembered something else - apart from when you're on the ice, make sure your blades are fully dry. you need to wipe them twice, once to dry them and again in a few minutes because condensation? i think happens or something. always have soakers. i am not following my own advice atm but i'm broke and will get some asap.

make sure your heel is in the back of the boot. to test it and see if it's right back, stand up with your laces undone, bend your knee and try to lift your heel out. if you can get your heel out easily or it slips and moves, it will move when you skate and you will struggle. if the boot moves with your foot when you go onto the toepick part (laces still undone) that means you've done it right. to get it back either:

a) Sit down and kick your boot down with the back part of your blade then do the test OR

b) Hold the top part of your boot as firmly as you can. Put your toes in, and then while holding the boot, push your heel in really really hard to the back. don't push it in gently or it wont work, you have to put a lot of force there. wiggling your foot a bit after usually helps me. then do the test i mentioned.

^^this isn't skate care i know. but its skateR care, because if you haven't been doing that then uuhh...lets just say you'll improve if you do this. its very important.