Illness at Cup of China | Golden Skate

Illness at Cup of China

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
During the men's LP, it was mentioned that Javi had been battling an intestinal flu/virus. He wasn't the only one. I follow Ashley Cain on Twitter & a few hours ago she tweeted that she also had been ill, since Friday. And thanked Timothy, her team & USFS folks for being so supportive.

As part as a response to her, I asked about their not wearing their usual Gatsby costumes. She Tweeted back that her dress is so tight that it was pressing against her stomach and causing her pain. They decided to wear practice costumes instead.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
During the men's LP, it was mentioned that Javi had been battling an intestinal flu/virus. He wasn't the only one. I follow Ashley Cain on Twitter & a few hours ago she tweeted that she also had been ill, since Friday. And thanked Timothy, her team & USFS folks for being so supportive.

As part as a response to her, I asked about their not wearing their usual Gatsby costumes. She Tweeted back that her dress is so tight that it was pressing against her stomach and causing her pain. They decided to wear practice costumes instead.

Interesting.

They might have eaten something they shouldn't: chinese food is excellent but i feel like China doesn't have rules to guarantee you're eating fresh safe food even at restaurants.

But it also might be the long trip.

frida80

Record Breaker
This happens every year at both CoC and Taiwan events. SOme athletes actually bring packaged food from home and eat instead. It’s unfortunate. A silver someone who’s gotten sick when traveling multiple times, I sympathize.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It was common for many of us to either skip or avoid events where it was known that many would get food illnesses. It's not worth it to fly all the way around the globe to get sick and skate poorly if at all.

The 2022 Olympics will prove interesting if for just this reason alone.

tzazu

Medalist
More or less was the same during Worlds in China three years ago, if you're not used to different meal and water is better play safe.

Kara

Final Flight
Man chinese food is the best in the world to me, but it must suck to get sick on such an important competition...I had a great time eating everything in Taiwan before, but got food poisoning from a conbini onigiri at the very end and had pretty much the worst time of my life.:palmf: Can't imagine how awful it must have been to be in such a high stress environment and skate while suffering from that!

Eclair

Medalist
ouch that really sucks .. So sorry for both Javi and Ashley that they couldn't show their best because of a stomach bug ...

I do wonder though, why does that happen so often with athletes in china? Are they all eating seafood, salad and drinking tap water when they're there? :scratch2: I mean, it's not like the Japanese or Chinese skaters have any problems in this regard...

or is it really only the long flight/ journey? No matter what it is, the organisators should work on that ...

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I really like Ashley and Tim and am sorry this happened. I was hoping they would have a good showing here as a boost for the rest of the season.

liv

Record Breaker
I think it's just getting used to the different organisms that may exist in food /water etc.. If you grow up with something you get used to it and it doens't bother you. I have a friend who went to India recently but before going she got shots because although she was born and raised there and lived there until her 40s, she was living in Canada for the last 10 years and hadn't been back to India in all that time... she was afraid her body wasn't used to all the different things in the water/food anymore and didn't want to get sick.

noskates

Record Breaker
That certainly explains a lot about Javi's performances. He looked "off" from the beginning.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
This happens every year at both CoC and Taiwan events. SOme athletes actually bring packaged food from home and eat instead. It’s unfortunate. A silver someone who’s gotten sick when traveling multiple times, I sympathize.

At Taiwan events really? Our food is clean and regulated. Might just be certain food or spice you're not used to although in the case of COC it does sound like they got food poisoning or intestinal flu/virus.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I know some well seasoned travellers, many to Asian countries and one of the first things they make sure they dose up on and have plenty of supply is Imodium! Not 100% perfect but it takes away the worst of tummy bugs, and runs!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I know some well seasoned travellers, many to Asian countries and one of the first things they make sure they dose up on and have plenty of supply is Imodium! Not 100% perfect but it takes away the worst of tummy bugs, and runs!

Agree. My drug of choice wen travelling.;)

Eclair

Medalist

I'd like to prevent potentially dangerous information from spreading:

If people travel to a foreign country (it doesn't really matter which one) it is VERY likely, that they'll experience some sort of slight diarrhea - for which Imodium is a good solution.

Stomach bug on the other hand just knocks you out, it can involve puking, fever, blood pressure drops, diarrhea etc. And in this case, I wouldn't recommend recklessly using imodium, as it can make the disease worse and last longer ...

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
ouch that really sucks .. So sorry for both Javi and Ashley that they couldn't show their best because of a stomach bug ...

I do wonder though, why does that happen so often with athletes in china? Are they all eating seafood, salad and drinking tap water when they're there? :scratch2: I mean, it's not like the Japanese or Chinese skaters have any problems in this regard...

or is it really only the long flight/ journey? No matter what it is, the organisators should work on that ...

Different bacterial flora than the one that they're used to most of the time. Chinese / Japanese skaters don't experience that difference.