Favourite Announcers and Announcing Teams | Golden Skate

Favourite Announcers and Announcing Teams

synteis

Medalist
Everyone has their favourite announcers (and their less than faves). Coming up to the Euros/4CC and of course the Olympics, what are your favourite announcers and why?

I like the B ESP guys myself (who I understand largely consist of Chris Howarth, Nicky Slater, Simon Reed). They have the right combination of interesting information and knowledge while also knowing when to shut up and just let you enjoy the programs.

I grew up on the CBC so I do have a lingering fondness for Kurt Browning's commentary. I do wish the CBC team didn't spend so much time relating everything to the Canadian teams (and choreographers) but of course that's their job.

In general though colour commentary isn't my favourite. Since I have some figure skating knowledge, I generally prefer the teams thats drive for teachable and technical know how.

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
I appreciate the B ESP guys; they aren't overpowering. CBC is good too; love their technical knowledge.

Weathergal

Medalist
B.ESP guys (Nicky Slater, Simon Reed, Chris Howarth, and I would add Mark Hanretty). Also Ted Barton. Charlie White. Ben Agosto. John Coughlin. Tracy Wilson. Back in the day, Dick Button.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) Yulia
2) Ted
3) Johnny

I’m stating to miss Scott a little.

Dick Button and Peggy Fleming. Kurt Browning when he's being ultra-technical. And Sandra Bezic, though I don't know why.

I like how the B. ESP guys are clearly in awe of their favourites and don't even try to hide it. Think Yuna in the past and Yuzuru currently.

Tara and Johnny are irritating. And I'll never get over Tara calling clearly bad jumps as "textbook" or "best in the business".

mrrice

Record Breaker
They have never commentated together but, I really like Tonia Kwaitkowski and David Pelletier.......

If I understood more Russian.....I'm sure I'd prefer Yulia to almost anyone.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
BESP guys are cool and nice and are excited for everyone. I prefer when Mark Hanretty is on though, he is more "realistic". All of them don't talk much during the performance, that's nice.

Ben Agosto and Tanith Belbin are 2 of my favourite. Charlie White too and Tracy Wilson (a bit less than the other but still excellent).

I don't know if you can find someone more biased than CBC for canadians. It's ridiculous at times. That's a shame because Kurt Browning is likeable, and Carol Lane gives a lot of details. I actually love how much she explains the technical. But if you're rooting just a bit for Alina Zagitova and/or Papadakis/Cizeron and/or anyone directly in competition with a canadian skater, brace yourselves or don't watch if you're sensitive.

Don't care for Tara and Johnny. And I wish I could understand Yulia because she had received some pretty amazing feedback.

Love the Spanish commentators ! So likeable ! :agree:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
John Coughlin, Charlie White, Ben Agosto and yes I know I'm in the minority here but Ryan Bradley (like that's a surprise). I also like the British ESP guys.

Anything is better than Tara and Johnny.

liv

Record Breaker
I like the British Eurosport guys. They are usually pretty neutral, which makes sense as dont have too many home skaters to talk up.I like CBC most of the time. I think kurt Browning is very good and not overly biased, but sometimes Carol Lane is too much, although generally nice. I hate it when David Pelletier replaces Carol. He is too opinionated and tends to talk too much while the person us skating. I dread having to hear him during Olys. Tara and Johnny are sometimes ok, but when an American is in the picture,suddenly the other competitors arent so good. But again, they are commentating for their audience, not an international one.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The BESP boys, love John Coughlin -- especially for pairs, the Spanish commentators Paloma and Susana (the madre mia twins), Ben Agosto, I do like Ryan Bradley!, Kurt Browning, and (believe it or not) Johnny.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I grew up with Dick Button so I can deal with strong but interesting opinions paired with an analysis of technical things. However, these days everyone talks too much during performances, with rare exceptions. I think Maria Petrova (I could be wrong) was on a Russian stream and although I could not understand her I appreciated her hushed tone and respect for the performances.

Now that I can call my own jumps, no commentary with a good crowd on GS was perfect for several GPs: people here catch all kinds of things, provide expertise, and they crack me up. After the comp then I go back and watch BESP, CBC, and the Olympic Channel. Especially with ice dance I like to hear from someone like Charlie White or Mark Hanretty.

kresslia

Medalist
I like the BESP guys. They're funny and knowledgeable, and don't talk throughout the entire performance.

I also enjoy the CBC announcers. Kurt Browning in particular -- he speaks his mind (while keeping it classy) and has great knowledge of the technical side of the sport. He also often has unique insight since he works closely with a decent amount of skaters. The only one that makes me cringe a bit is Carol Lane because she is very obviously biased towards G/P.

Tara and Johnny are EXTREMELY obnoxious, but have a bit of an entertaining trainwreck factor to them.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Any favourite in house announcers (i.e. the one who announces the skaters and their scores)

I love the one who does the japanese events.

slider11

Medalist
John Coughlin, Charlie White, Ben Agosto and yes I know I'm in the minority here but Ryan Bradley (like that's a surprise). I also like the British ESP guys.

Anything is better than Tara and Johnny.

I'm with you on Ryan Bradley. He is honest and insightful. I also am a fan of Ben Agosto and find him more fluid than Charlie. I also like the Canadian broadcasters but agree that their pro-Canadian bias limits their attraction to an international audience. Kurt, especially, seems to focus too much on convincing us why the Canadian skaters are better. BESP announcers are among the best, I think. They are knowledgable and engaging. Mark Hanretty lends a lighter vibe but seems to know what he's talking about.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Ted Barton, Ben Agosto, Yulia Lipnitskaya, Franca Bianconi, B ESP guys...

Eeyora

Final Flight
Tanith and Ben, John Coughlin and Johnny sometimes

Dick Button back in the day

KMK0902

On the Ice
Tracy Wilson always has something positive to say even if someone spends the entire program on their back-side :laugh:
Love the frankness/honesty of David Pelletier.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Any favourite in house announcers (i.e. the one who announces the skaters and their scores)

I love the one who does the japanese events.

PJ Kwong. She's been the announcer for six Olympics! She also does social media, interviews, and background pieces for the CBC. She pronounces foreign names well and has a very soothing voice. I'm often surprised to hear her voice as the announcer at some random competition totally unrelated to Canada.