Miner sparks judges with quad Salchow | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miner sparks judges with quad Salchow

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You can't use ONE competition to select the Olympic team imo. What if Nathan had bombed, as unlikely as it is? Would he have to be out?

Exactly. By that standard, wouldn’t both Evgenia and Yuzuru would be out of the Olympics, because they missed their respective national championships due to injury. “You couldn’t make that one competition? Nope, sorry, no soup for you.”

pearly

Record Breaker
USFS could have given Olympics to Ross and Worlds to Adam.

They could have. Who knows what went into the decision. My guess is overall results over the past few years and potential to rank higher in the individual event. Also - possibly - potential to pull off a clean skate in the team event.

You can't use ONE competition to select the Olympic team imo. What if Nathan had bombed, as unlikely as it is? Would he have to be out?

Strange as it seems, the old U.S. method (send the top finishers at Nationals) produced one Olympic champion after another for 50 years.

Now we are copying other countries instead. How is it working out?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Um... If Adam doesn't have 4Lz, which quad is he gonna add to the FS?... I just don't see him doing a clean quad of the caliber Ross put out in the Olympics.

Also, I read quite a few people consider Adam to be a headcase. After him falling apart in the FS with 2 URs and two pops, the pressure of the Olympics would be even greater... :scratch2:

brightphoton

Medalist
I wrote this on another thread - that is out of the question. It's not just Olympic spots on the line. There's ISU Championships and upcoming seasons.

Casual fans don't care about that. They will say, if this 2nd place skater beat 3rd and 4th here, why wouldn't he beat 3rd and 4th at the Olympics, in one month?

4 years ago, I had to explain to my non-figure skating friends why 4th place Ashley was chosen over a 3rd place Mirai. Now again with 4th place Adam and 2nd place Ross. At least this time, it's a white guy bumping off another white guy, and there are two Asians on the men's team, so there aren't any ugly racist undertones.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Strange as it seems, the old U.S. method (send the top finishers at Nationals) produced one Olympic champion after another for 50 years.

Now we are copying other countries instead. How is it working out?

I mean, realistically, the only US man who can medal is Nathan. What if he had bombed because idk he had the flu? Would you not send him?

TryMeLater

On the Ice

They should do what the Russian would do - send the three of them (Rippon, Miner and Zhou) to 4CC and let them battle it out.
And then look at all the placements of this season.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Wow. This would not be an unfair decision but a devastating one for Ross. Paul Wylie came up in the other thread and I like that comparison. He finished second at nationals when Eldredge sat out due to injury. Wylie was not favored by the fed, but they left Mark Mitchell off the team because he was 3rd. I felt much better about that. It feels so wrong to leave off the second place finisher . . . but I understand. :drama:

ETA: please note that Mark Mitchell went on to do better than Todd at the 1992 World Championships. The federation can only try its best. It cannot predict the future.

Warwick360

Medalist
Casual fans don't care about that. They will say, if this 2nd place skater beat 3rd and 4th here, why wouldn't he beat 3rd and 4th at the Olympics, in one month?

4 years ago, I had to explain to my non-figure skating friends why 4th place Ashley was chosen over a 3rd place Mirai. Now again with 4th place Adam and 2nd place Ross. At least this time, it's a white guy bumping off another white guy, and there are two Asians on the men's team, so there aren't any ugly racist undertones.
Ashley's case was different. Mirai's performance at the time was dire in most competitions, with the number of URs that might as well have been stars in the skies. Not to mention, her Bond LP was too choppy. But in this case, when you have a guy already at the bronze position who has failed to prove himself at any of the GP, why aim at the person who is in the silver position? It just seems both unnecessary and unfair. If Zhou needs Worlds exposure then they might as well send him to Worlds instead.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They should do what the Russian would do - send the three of them (Rippon, Miner and Zhou) to 4CC and let them battle it out.
And then look at all the placements of this season.

If they don’t consider the National results as a primary factor in determining the team then maybe they shouldn’t make the announcement this weekend ...at the championship...which only sort of matters. Lol.

qwertyskates

Medalist
If it's true, it's so stupid for USFS. They should have adjusted the scores if they didn't want send Ross to Pyongyang, just like the tech panel at Japanese Nats ignored most of Satoko's URs because JSF wanted to send her to Pyongyang as Japanese champ.

Ross' silver is well-deserved, it's his consolation at least now that he's dumped from the Olympic team. It'll be worse if he lost both, even when he put out the second best performance of the competition. What you deliver on the ice must count for something. :disapp:

I mean, realistically, the only US man who can medal is Nathan. What if he had bombed because idk he had the flu? Would you not send him?

I on't know. This whole committee thing just rubs me the wrong way. The athletes should settle it on the field of play. Instead we have a secret committee in some smoke-filled back room going by who knows what rules, if any.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
My initial dream lineup until the Nationals comes true; Nathan, Vincent, and Adam, but what about poor Ross.

I hope he is at least offered to compete at Worlds and 4CC.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
If they don’t consider the National results as a primary factor in determining the team then maybe they shouldn’t make the announcement this weekend ...at the championship...which only sort of matters. Lol.

That's what i'm basically saying - delay the announcement.
As for the championship - the rule in my opinion should be that only the winner should be guaranteed a spot.

brightphoton

Medalist
I on't know. This whole committee thing just rubs me the wrong way. The athletes should settle it on the field of play. Instead we have a secret committee in some smoke-filled back room going by who knows what rules, if any.

Judges got in trouble in 2002 Salt Lake City for pre picking winners in secret. See, that was a mistake

You gotta make pre-picking winners official protocol, now it's okay

qwertyskates

Medalist
Expected. He should be proud of the silver- but his track record doesn't deserve the OG over Adam.

Actually, he delivered some of the best jumps at Nats. Solid quads and axels in a packed program. It's like wilfully overlooking his CURRENT great physical state in order to push the favorite through.

I really hope Adam lives up to his own hype at the Olympics.