Intl Judge from G. Spin suspended | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Intl Judge from G. Spin suspended

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
That’s really scary!! My father had diabetic reactions from time to time where he didn’t know who I was. I’d be trying to convince him to take me to school and stuff or even that he needed a shot. Medical conditions can be really scary.

True. I believe he has retired from judging. Sorry about your dad.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I heard about it . It is ridicolous. Russian means untouchable ?

No it does not. They did a report and made a decision. The man has a serious medical condition. Maybe this is one of these cases where we give the benefit of the doubt please.

Blushingheart

Match Penalty
No it does not. They did a report and made a decision. The man has a serious medical condition. Maybe this is one of these cases where we give the benefit of the doubt please.

So if he is ill, what is all the fuss about?

For me they were talking to each other

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So if he is ill, what is all the fuss about?

For me they were talking to each other

Yes..but you were not there and you are not the arbitrator. You have seen a video.

Have you ever sat next to someone who is talking to themselves? For all you know she was expressing concern for him or asking if he was okay. They all know each other. Some of them are probably friends.

Andrea82

Medalist
Given how they were sitting, the US judge at the left of the Belarus judge must have heard if the Russian judge at the other side of the Belarus man was replying to him or not.

If they didn't start an investigation about her (given she was on the panel at Europeans and will be at Olympics, it means she is not suspended), it likely means no official complaints have been raised on her behavior.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I was just reporting what ISU said, the penalty is for the behaviour, since they don't have enough evidences to accuse her of using pre-determined marks.

Yes that's the most shocking part: scores pre-determined by watching practices seems okay.

While she is not even smart because she put those marks on PC before anyone else and even for teams that weren't competing there.

At the risk of sounding crazy I have actually advocated prejudging before, but openly. I don't mean that marks would actually be given out for practices but given the amount of content the judges need to analyze you would need to have done some work before. If I were judging I would want to know what part of the ice each skater is doing what elements, how many transitions there are, etc. Of course, you should then mark them for what they actually do during the program.

In general I would love to know more about what it is the judges are looking for and some of the informal feedback they give to competitors. Given human imperfections it's hard for me to believe that judges do not come in with some kind of idea of what it is they will be looking at before the actual competition begins. I think it can increase accuracy if done correctly.

I think the process of what judges should do when they watch practices should be more transparent and if there's prejudging that happens that should be brought to light as well.

Blushingheart

Match Penalty
Yes..but you were not there and you are not the arbitrator. You have seen a video.

Have you ever sat next to someone who is talking to themselves? For all you know she was expressing concern for him or asking if he was okay. They all know each other. Some of them are probably friends.

The arbitrator also have seen only a video.

Yes, i have seen such person. So I can say he talked to her.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It seems there's one or two in this thread desperate to accuse the Russian judge. Because of course, all Russians are terrible cheaters so if a Russian judge was anywhere near him, they must have cheated, right? :sarcasm:

As for watching practices, the tech panel does this routinely to figure out where the elements are likely to be. That way they know, for example, if a skater is going to come straight out of a jump into a spin or something unusual.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I was just reporting what ISU said, the penalty is for the behaviour, since they don't have enough evidences to accuse her of using pre-determined marks.

Yes that's the most shocking part: scores pre-determined by watching practices seems okay.

While she is not even smart because she put those marks on PC before anyone else and even for teams that weren't competing there.

Kidding... ISU could easily interrogate the judges who were sitting at the next tables to the offender....

Hevari

On the Ice
And remember that the Belarus judge just had a brain-stroke during the Short Dance of Golden Spin while spending half of the competition talking to himself.

"somebody, call this guy a psychiatrist!..":laugh::laugh:

Eclair

Medalist
It has been determined that he was speaking to himself because of the stroke he was in the process of having.

Must have been strange to sit next to someone talking to themselves the whole time.
yeah right. weeks after the event, suddenly the Belarusian judge says that she had a stroke during competition. Didn't mention that stroke the day it happened or until several weeks afterwards. Didn't went to the hospital immediately. Nobody noticed her talking to herself and asked if she was OK. yeah, right. Very convincing.

Hevari

On the Ice
How does the Spanish Federation justify using this event for filling Olympics spots when there was so much going wrong here?

Seems that it can happen in every event....

Hevari

On the Ice

But If she realized that the belarussian judge is talking to himself (or even mentioned some kind of strange behavior of that guy), she should immediately tell this to referee... Because I don't know how to continue working with such condition...

Tulipstar

Medalist
at that senior B the decision about which teams would go to the Olympics was decided.

Thank you. It makes more sense now.

This is one of the most bizarre figure skating stories I've ever heard. Especially the part about the muttering judge.

lappo

Final Flight
Thank you. It makes more sense now.

This is one of the most bizarre figure skating stories I've ever heard. Especially the part about the muttering judge.

To further clarify, the Spanish Fed decided to send H/K to the Olympic instead of S/D, winner of the Spanish Nationals, basing his decisions on the results of this B event. I equally like both teams but I feel like I would not be happy at all if my Olympic experience was being denied by the outcome of a very doubtful judging.
Anyway, talking at a competion is severely prohibited in the rules of judging so, whatever where the causes, I feel like the other judges should have signalled the problem to the referee and if there were clinical problems with the BEL judge going on it could be taken care on the spot.

Also, even though senior Bs are usually not attended by top skaters, there are skaters who worked hard and probably sacrificed a lot of money, time, efforts to be there and give their best...a fair judging is due to all the skaters, not just to the top ones.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Seems that it can happen in every event....

But to use an event that has specifically got a lot of question marks is just bad optics. You never know if the right people were sent, especially because they didn't do as well at Nationals. The Spanish federation needs to revise its criteria.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But to use an event that is specifically got a lot of question marks is just bad optics. You never know if the right people were sent, especially because they didn't do as well at Nationals. The Spanish federation needs to revise its criteria.

They decided on the criteria long before the questions arose. They probably chose it based on when it was scheduled, and didn't have a lot of choice given their preferred timeline.