Figure Skaters' Reactions to Olympic Results | Golden Skate

Figure Skaters' Reactions to Olympic Results

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Wow, if you read through the responses of this tweet, you'd think something controversial was said. This mass outrage over Medvedeva losing to Zagitova is starting to confuse me. They are both weak artistically (in a different way, but still, neither of them particularly excels in this department) but Zagitova has better jump technique. Yet somehow the narrative has become that she only won because of backloading and this makes an unbalanced program!!! Even Ashley Wagner tweeted about it during the team event, I believe. Where does this sudden sentimentality for Medvedeva spring from?

Besides it was obvious since Euros who will win the Olympics if Alina went relatively clean.

Amei

Record Breaker
Wow, if you read through the responses of this tweet, you'd think something controversial was said. This mass outrage over Medvedeva losing to Zagitova is starting to confuse me. They are both weak artistically (in a different way, but still, neither of them particularly excels in this department) but Zagitova has better jump technique. Yet somehow the narrative has become that she only won because of backloading and this makes an unbalanced program!!! Even Ashley Wagner tweeted about it during the team event, I believe. Where does this sudden sentimentality for Medvedeva spring from?

Besides it was obvious since Euros who will win the Olympics if Alina went relatively clean.

My assumption for current skaters (especially an older skater) - the only thing that Evgenia does that gives her an advantage is the tano's which are probably a lot easier to learn later in a figure skating career than trying to acclimate your body to doing all major elements in the second half of the program...so theoretically Evgenia's advantage is more attainable vs. Zagitova's

Where does this sudden sentimentality for Medvedeva spring from?

My theory based on the tone of debates from major competitions especially the Olympics - if there are 2 skaters that perform well then the 'tipping scale' is making it some type of sporting-lifetime achievement award so it should go to the figure skater that's been around the block longer vs. the newbie.

Surprised Button was for Zagitova, I remember him making a comment at a competition (might've been Nationals) between Michelle and Sasha, and saying that Sasha needed to put in her time.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So much of the media portrayed this event as the "artist" versus the "technician," and a lot of people seem surprised that former skaters who have tended to prefer artists agreed with the Pyongchang result. For me, I see that Evgenia feels the music and is passionate about performing. Nonetheless, her artistry doesn't touch me as much as Alina's. I like her polish, her energy, and the age-apropriateness of her interpretation in the LP. Although both Russians have densely packed choreography in the programs, something about Alina's feel less "busy" to me.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
One thing that irks me with Evgenia are her mime elements and the 'teachy' elements in her programs. She's 19 for heaven's sake. I have no solid reason for these feelings but, like Evan Lysacek, I could just never warm to Evgenia. Something in Alina's skating, I enjoy more. Totally subjective on my part.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Whatever anyone's saying, I do think the best girl won. It might not be my choice - in fact I enjoyed Kathleens and Carolinas skates the most - but Alina had the best technical score. And, no, I much prefer more mature skating, than young girls who aren't actually senior (although Medvedeva is getting there). In 1998 I preferred to watch Michelle, but then - also - the best technical score won. I can't actually warm to either of the two Russian girls, but they are good at what they do. And that gets rewarded. My favourite Russian lady was Irina in 2005...her Wonderland can still touch me. I'm not surprised by Button's response. He was for that time a very technical skater (but rather artistic too). He's seen so many good skaters, I suspect. At least he's not blaming skaters for making use of a judging system that exists.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
My assumption for current skaters (especially an older skater) - the only thing that Evgenia does that gives her an advantage is the tano's which are probably a lot easier to learn later in a figure skating career than trying to acclimate your body to doing all major elements in the second half of the program...so theoretically Evgenia's advantage is more attainable vs. Zagitova's

Also it's a lot easier to do tanos when you don't have to worry about not pre-rotating or checking your edge. :sarcasm:

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
One thing that irks me with Evgenia are her mime elements and the 'teachy' elements in her programs. She's 19 for heaven's sake. I have no solid reason for these feelings but, like Evan Lysacek, I could just never warm to Evgenia. Something in Alina's skating, I enjoy more. Totally subjective on my part.

She just turned 18 three months ago for heaven's sake. :laugh:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Lucinda Ruh on womens results, posted yesterday on social media...

"I have to write a little something on what’s been on my mind from yesterday’s competition. I am so sad to see the world of skating succumb to once again politics. I personally think a woman, a woman’s skating should win the Olympic gold medal. Not a junior girl. Kaetlyn Osmond in my opinion should have won the gold but all the judges, media and officials decided long time ago it would be a Russia Russia battle and no matter how anyone skated they wouldn’t let them beat them. Their perception of these two Russians are so distorted. Let the little girls compete in juniors ... their body in one or two years won’t be able to do what they are doing now.. look at Katarina Witt time.. they were all grown women with stories to tell and art to make on the ice! That to me is an Olympic champion. For me Osmond was the best of the night and had the quality of jumps and skating that an Olympic Champion should embody. Ravi Walia please share with Kaetlyn too "

Just an observation from a previous well known participant and imo, the best spinner in the sport, ever!

lavender

Record Breaker

"I have to write a little something on what’s been on my mind from yesterday’s competition. I am so sad to see the world of skating succumb to once again politics. I personally think a woman, a woman’s skating should win the Olympic gold medal. Not a junior girl. Kaetlyn Osmond in my opinion should have won the gold but all the judges, media and officials decided long time ago it would be a Russia Russia battle and no matter how anyone skated they wouldn’t let them beat them. Their perception of these two Russians are so distorted. Let the little girls compete in juniors ... their body in one or two years won’t be able to do what they are doing now.. look at Katarina Witt time.. they were all grown women with stories to tell and art to make on the ice! That to me is an Olympic champion. For me Osmond was the best of the night and had the quality of jumps and skating that an Olympic Champion should embody. Ravi Walia please share with Kaetlyn too "

Just an observation from a previous well known participant and imo, the best spinner in the sport, ever.
Wow....good 4 Lucinda. Love her skating too.

Edited to add..I agree with Lucinda but I just want to say that I think if anything it should have been between Med and Osmond for gold. I would have love either result and I'm not a big fan of either...not yet.

Amei

Record Breaker

Just an observation from a previous well known participant and imo, the best spinner in the sport, ever.

Evgenia is 18 years old...legally an adult in pretty much every country, so not quite sure what Lucinda is getting at?

LandShark

Rinkside
Well , if we're looking for former skater's reactions , Jayne Torville was interviewed on UK tv about the ladies event. Her opinion was that Medvedeva was superior in most departments to Zagitova.

She particularly referred to Zagitova's small jumps , her lack of power and speed across the ice , and her poor arm and leg lines in her presentation.

However , she preferred Osmond to both Russian girls , finding her programme better balanced and better skated.

I would add that Zagitova completely lacked a decent running edge out of her jumps , often jumping to little more than a standstill. Compare that to the superb , effortless glide out of her jumps that Osmond produced , and the difference is quite ludicrous.

Osmond , Medvedeva , Miyahara , they were all great.

Zagitova just won.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Honestly, I would have been fine with any of the top 3 winning. Kaetlyn was great, too. However, to say that "a skater must do X (or have quality Y) to deserve to win" seems like an artificial way to dismiss talented athletes who may do other things at a world class level. Evgenia could have deeper edges and a better lutz. Kaetlyn could have more transitions. Alina could perform in a more mature, womanly way. Every athlete in the competition has some deficiencies, yet someone must win despite her flaws.

Shayuki

Record Breaker

Of course, better not get actual realities get in the way. She didn't even skate clean while the other two did.

I'm of the opinion that the actual performance should be judged, not the skater's birth date.

And Medvedeva is an adult, by the way.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well , if we're looking for former skater's reactions , Jayne Torville was interviewed on UK tv about the ladies event. Her opinion was that Medvedeva was superior in most departments to Zagitova.

The judges did their job then. Evgenia was rated superior by the judges in most departments.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Of course, better not get actual realities get in the way. She didn't even skate clean while the other two did.

I'm of the opinion that the actual performance should be judged, not the skater's birth date.

And Medvedeva is an adult, by the way.

I suppose then it was justified to have Sale/Pelletier (who went clean) beat Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze (who had a stepout) in SLC then? :biggrin:

Sometimes the cleanest skate isn't the best skate. And I agree with Ruh that the quality of Osmond's jumps... they far exceeded Med and Zags although under the current system, Med and Zags made up for their comparatively smaller jumps by having Tanos/Rippons and more transitions in and out than Osmond to get comparable GOE.

Zags and Med were rightfully placed higher based on harder jumps and backloading, but other than transitions I found them rather lacking compared to Osmond. I do think though Zags saved her best skates for the Olympics, performance-wise. I found Med to be the weakest of the three actually, and her jumps weren't as effortless as before (maybe injury related?).

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I suppose then it was justified to have Sale/Pelletier (who went clean) beat Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze (who had a stepout) in SLC then? :biggrin:

Sometimes the cleanest skate isn't the best skate. And I agree with Ruh that the quality of Osmond's jumps... they far exceeded Med and Zags although under the current system, Med and Zags made up for their comparatively smaller jumps by having Tanos/Rippons and more transitions in and out than Osmond to get comparable GOE.

Zags and Med were rightfully placed higher based on harder jumps and backloading, but other than transitions I found them rather lacking compared to Osmond. I do think though Zags saved her best skates for the Olympics, performance-wise. I found Med to be the weakest of the three actually, and her jumps weren't as effortless as before (maybe injury related?).
Strawman hyperbole rather than an actual argument?

Height isn't the only thing. Osmond's toe pick jump takeoff's quite ugly even in comparison to Medvedeva's and that in itself is saying something. As for PCS, she would be ahead of Zagitova but behind Medvedeva. Isn't that exactly how the scoring went?

For TES, she had a step out and weaker BV than either so...

See I don't subscribe to the school of thought that jump height is everything when it comes to jumps - And luckily the rulebook does not either.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've said this before and I'll say it again, but I don't understand why teenagers are hated in the sport of figure skating. No other sport is like this. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Sometimes, that's a 15/16/17 year old. Lucinda's opinion ticks me off. Nobody hates Chloe or Red in snowboarding and they're not adults yet. Also, the double standards are ridiculous. Michelle Kwan was 17 in 1998. I think sometimes people forget that because her packaging was unusually mature for a teen.

Erin9

On the Ice
I've said this before and I'll say it again, but I don't understand why teenagers are hated in the sport of figure skating. No other sport is like this. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Sometimes, that's a 15/16/17 year old. Lucinda's opinion ticks me off. Nobody hates Chloe or Red in snowboarding and they're not adults yet. Also, the double standards are ridiculous. Michelle Kwan was 17 in 1998. I think sometimes people forget that because her packaging was unusually mature for a teen.

I just did a quick search of ladies Olympic medalists that were under 20. It is long.