Revolution! (blades) | Golden Skate

Revolution! (blades)

chanfan

Rinkside
Hi all, quick question on blades: are the Revolution blades by MK/Wilson worth it, in terms of shock absorbency? I'm not a high level skater (still using Coronation Aces) but I do have an interest in protecting my joints from wear and tear, esp since I'm an adult. I know they make a Cor Ace Rev model and I'm trying to figure out if the design justifies shelling out for new blades, in case they will help with future injury prevention.

Any input from people who have tried both normal/Rev would be appreciated :)

concorde

Medalist
I spoke with the dealer at Skate Amercia about the benefits.

The pro is they are better on the joints per the dealer. But I'm not sure how much better.

Per the same dealer, the con is the holes you have to grasp are different so it makes catch foots harder in the short term until the skater adjusts.

Having said this, I know of two skaters that decided to go with the revolutions and because of the holes, the went back to the old blades. Still debating what to do for my daughter's next pair but we still have a couple months left to decide.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
FWIW, I asked our skate tech because I was considering moving from Coronation Ace to Coronation Ace REV ford my skater. He did not like the CA REV in particular but said the Pattern 99 REV was good (but that's a much higher level blade). It was opinion that the Coronation Ace REV was causing problems for a lot of people. He wasn't down on the REV line overall, just this one particular blade in the lineup.

chanfan

Rinkside
FWIW, I asked our skate tech because I was considering moving from Coronation Ace to Coronation Ace REV ford my skater. He did not like the CA REV in particular but said the Pattern 99 REV was good (but that's a much higher level blade). It was opinion that the Coronation Ace REV was causing problems for a lot of people. He wasn't down on the REV line overall, just this one particular blade in the lineup.

Interesting. I wonder what was bugging people about the blade. That would be good to know before I make the investment.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My pattern 99 revs were great for jumps(triples), but I hated them for pretty much everything else. Catch foots (as I have mentioned on these forums several times in the past), were difficult and uncomfortable and also my edge work suffered because the “rev” part of the blade would scrape the ice or almost scrape the ice as I tend to have very deep edges (was sr level ice dancer at one point).
I went back to old style Pattern 99s and am happy.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I'm just wondering what the difference is or purpose of these blades are. Part of me really wants to get them one day just because I think they look really, really cool. But obviously that's a really dumb reason to get them and I would never switch blades for that reason lol. I am more just curious about them. I probably do need new blades pretty soon because I am still using the capri blades that came with my skates and they are not very good. But I'm only doing singles, so this is more just curiosity for the far off future.

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
Some people get them for the look but many get them because they are lighter than the traditional blade due to the blade holder.

If your feet are still changing sizes.. then you may want to hold off until you can move blades to new boots as your boots breakdown otherwise you are paying for both boot and blade when you need new boots for sizing.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I noticed zero difference in terms of shock absorbency when I went from the standard Gold Seal to the Gold Seal Revolution. What I did notice was that the Revolution blades are a little noisier (all lightweight blades are noisier) and that they have less sharpenable steel on them (I only got 12 sharpenings out of the Revolutions, and I always get 18 out of the standard Gold Seals). So I have gone back to the standard blades.
As for blade weight, the Gold Seal Revolutions are about 20% lighter than standard Gold Seals. But standard Gold Seals are also the heaviest blade due to the solid base plate, so there would be less of a difference with any other blade. I personally didn't even notice the weight difference.