Redemption for Chen | Golden Skate

Redemption for Chen

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chen had to hang onto the landing of a quad Lutz-triple toe and quad flip, resulting in a few negative grades of execution (GOE), but the 2018 Olympic bronze medalist landed a solid triple Axel and showed strong level 4 steps to earn 101.94 (57.51/44.43) points for a first-place finish.

“I’m very happy with the way these World Championships started, especially after having two such rough short programs at Olympics,” he said. “It’s been great to have the opportunity to try the short program again and I hope to redeem myself. Ultimately, I’m proud of what I did here.”

More...

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm so proud of him!! I think this is just what he needed. Now he needs to put the free together well on Saturday :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Nathan was the best in the SP, but I'm left feeling underwhelmed that a skater can get -GOE on 2 of 3 jumping elements and still win the SP. The PCS scores were also too high for these (mostly) uninspired skates.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Nathan was the best in the SP, but I'm left feeling underwhelmed that a skater can get -GOE on 2 of 3 jumping elements and still win the SP. The PCS scores were also too high for these (mostly) uninspired skates.

He didn't fall or UR or step out of the jump, and he's already getting -1 and -2 GOEs for it. That's pretty fair. And the reason he was the SP is that the BV is so high, simple is that. Also, "uninspired" is objective especially considering this is a sport. Actually, something would be wrong if he didn't win the SP, because then what's the point of upping your tech content? :confused2: And he does have lovely choreo and presence, even if it has been a little shaky/absentminded due to nerves at this point. His PCS were fair.

buttercup2015

On the Ice
He didn't fall or UR or step out of the jump, and he's already getting -1 and -2 GOEs for it. That's pretty fair. And the reason he was the SP is that the BV is so high, simple is that. Also, "uninspired" is objective especially considering this is a sport. Actually, something would be wrong if he didn't win the SP, because then what's the point of upping your tech content? :confused2: And he does have lovely choreo and presence, even if it has been a little shaky/absentminded due to nerves at this point. His PCS were fair.

Fair? Sorry it seems to me Nathan's PCS were too low

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
It wasn't the best nor prettiest skate imo, but it got the job done :thumbsup: His outfit I'm not a fan of though.

chillgil

Match Penalty

oh wow that's so interesting!! tell me, dont you think its interesting that other skaters like Dennis V or Misha had 'lovely choreo and presence'? I did! They performed flawlessly and with great attention to detail and passion. However they only got 41/42 PCS . . . . . . . . . . wow isnt that so interesting????? can you tell me what exactly nathan did better in PCS than Misha Ge to warrant almost 3 extra points???

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd call the performance "workmanlike."

It wasn't the best he's skated that by any stretch.

But it was certainly more than enough to win this phase of the competition.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Really I think the word redemption is a bit strong. He placed fifth at the olympics- just off the podium hardly horrific. Okay many of us thought he would win but the man/boy hasn't even won a world medal yet. Redemption is too strong besides he had an amazing long program which may be hard to replicate here at worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Fair? Sorry it seems to me Nathan's PCS were too low

Did you mean too high? Well regardless I am sorry but these pcs are ridiculous high. If there were too low then Messing was robbed, beaten and rolled over - his pcs should be higher than Nathan.

Mamamiia

Medalist
Really I think the word redemption is a bit strong. He placed fifth at the olympics- just off the podium hardly horrific. Okay many of us thought he would win but the man/boy hasn't even won a world medal yet. Redemption is too strong besides he had an amazing long program which may be hard to replicate here at worlds.

The conversation was about short program, comparing to 17th place in OG.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
The conversation was about short program, comparing to 17th place in OG.

Indeed. After not one, but TWO nightmare SPs, one which cost him a shot at an individual Olympic medal (possibly even the gold), his Worlds SP was absolutely a redemption skate. It wasn't his very best with those forward landings on the quads, but it wasn't bad either. He did just enough to win the SP (and his first Worlds SP gold medal!), and he got the ghost of those Olympic skates that might have haunted him throughout his career off of his back! Others here disagree, but I think his PCS could have been a point higher on his performance quality. It didn't look workmanlike to ME anyway. He really sold it, especially during his fabulous step sequence. I LOVE the Jazzy style of the program, it wasn't balletic which he has done before, and it was quite different from the others. I'm very proud of Nathan for throwing down this program with the hardest jumps and winning the SP! He could've chosen easier jumps just to get through but he didn't! It took guts to go out there (in the SAME Vera Wang costume from the IE SP at the Olympics) and lay it down like he did. I'm glad the judges rewarded him well for it. Now that that is done, I hope he stays steady and focused and nails his program in the FS, letting the chips fall where they may! I would love for both he and Vincent to medal! I'm torn though because I'd love Bojang and Shoma to be on the podium too!

Mamamiia

Medalist
Indeed. After not one, but TWO nightmare SPs, one which cost him a shot at an individual Olympic medal (possibly even the gold), his Worlds SP was absolutely a redemption skate. It wasn't his very best with those forward landings on the quads, but it wasn't bad either. He did just enough to win the SP (and his first Worlds SP gold medal!), and he got the ghost of those Olympic skates that might have haunted him throughout his career off of his back! Others here disagree, but I think his PCS could have been a point higher on his performance quality. It didn't look workmanlike to ME anyway. He really sold it, especially during his fabulous step sequence. I LOVE the Jazzy style of the program, it wasn't balletic which he has done before, and it was quite different from the others. I'm very proud of Nathan for throwing down this program with the hardest jumps and winning the SP! He could've chosen easier jumps just to get through but he didn't! It took guts to go out there (in the SAME Vera Wang costume from the IE SP at the Olympics) and lay it down like he did. I'm glad the judges rewarded him well for it. Now that that is done, I hope he stays steady and focused and nails his program in the FS, letting the chips fall where they may! I would love for both he and Vincent to medal! I'm torn though because I'd love Bojang and Shoma to be on the podium too!

Agree not his best performance but yes, I am super proud of him too!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Presentation is subjective - what is 'flawless' to one person may not be to someone else's eye. The same goes for 'uninspired'. As a former ballet dancer, I absolutely see the lyricism and even balletic quality in Nathan's very modern program. He makes wonderful use of his arms and epaulement and even a Russian commentator noted his development of 'plastique' - beautiful movement through beautiful poses.
A lot of people in the professional ballet world are Nathan fans - they actually love his performance quality and see his artistry and own unique style. I do not expect everyone to see this - but the fact is that many people do - including professionals who have a well-trained eye. I truly do not think he is underscored in PCS. Everyone has the right to have their own opinion about artistry - but there is no such thing as "artistry" that would be universally considered "flawless" and detail and passion are subjective as well.
Nathan's sp has a different choreographic style than most - it is actually quite daring and there are a lot of different elements in the choreo that I saw him pay detail to.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
oh wow that's so interesting!! tell me, dont you think its interesting that other skaters like Dennis V or Misha had 'lovely choreo and presence'? I did! They performed flawlessly and with great attention to detail and passion. However they only got 41/42 PCS . . . . . . . . . . wow isnt that so interesting????? can you tell me what exactly nathan did better in PCS than Misha Ge to warrant almost 3 extra points???

I honestly don't know, I haven't seen any other programs besides the top 3.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan has a definite presence on the ice. I think his PCS is deserved (he averaged just under 9). IJS doesn't specifically reward "artistry." Ironically, it was his jumps that held him back in this skate. He wasn't able to hold any landings and he seemed to be powering through them. But he still got over 100 so what the heck!