Sad Article about Zagitova's Eating Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not really an article and much more of a retweet. I’m curious if context is in order here. I’m generally skeptical of Sputnik so........

Any Russians with good insight about this quote?

vavavoom

Rinkside
LOL. don't freak out.

Something is certainly lost in translation, you should not take it as potential danger for Alina.

Also, journalists tend to be more direct in other countries, it's not like in the States...
"Oh, thank you for asking. Yes, we are improving, kumbayah... blah, blah, blah."

In most other countries, interviews with skaters are more direct.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It’s like what Eteri said about the red coat girl. She didn’t let her eat. Why does this surprise anyone with the bodies of teenage jumpers. Puberty is their enemy and ends many a career.

siena

Rinkside
Haven't clicked on the link, but there was an article going around yesterday from a russian reporter post short program press conference. Alina was quoted as saying that puberty is an invention, all you have to do is close your mouth and not eat. People are not upset with her, per se, more horrified with Eteri and her team that this is something she would feel comfortable saying.

edit: this is the article https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...to_vydumki_Prosto_nuzhno_zakryt_rot_i_ne_jest

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Haven't clicked on the link, but there was an article going around yesterday from a russian reporter post short program press conference. Alina was quoted as saying that puberty is an invention, all you have to do is close your mouth and not eat. People are not upset with her, per se, more horrified with Eteri and her team that this is something she would feel comfortable saying.

edit: this is the article https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...to_vydumki_Prosto_nuzhno_zakryt_rot_i_ne_jest

Is this reliable media?

Certainly someone should talk with this girl about her health

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Anyone surprised has simply been ignoring the evidence that has built up over the years, in public, and refused to accept observable reality for a contorted, impossible-to-justify illusion that somehow everyone was simply sailing through puberty without consequence and change and somehow 100% healthy. It’s not that there weren’t warning signs; there were an almost comedic number. It’s too late to be shocked. Spare me your regrets. Don’t tell me you didn’t know; the evidence has always been there. You saw what you wanted to: convenient fiction.

I have no horror left for the coaches, the sport, or the system, only those who kept trying to spread the tiniest dab of an “explanation” over an ever-growing loaf of casualties. Congratulations.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone surprised has simply been ignoring the evidence that has built up over the years, in public, and refused to accept observable reality for a contorted, impossible-to-justify illusion that somehow everyone was simply sailing through puberty without consequence and change and somehow 100% healthy. It’s not that there weren’t warning signs; there were an almost comedic number. It’s too late to be shocked. Spare me your regrets. Don’t tell me you didn’t know; the evidence has always been there. You saw what you wanted to: convenient fiction.

I have no horror left for the coaches, the sport, or the system, only those who kept trying to spread the tiniest dab of an “explanation” over an ever-growing loaf of casualties. Congratulations.

Hmm...I’m around and work with several skaters who have gone thru and or are waaay beyond puberty into their 20’s and they seem just fine and are really quite petite so pardon me for not lumping everyone into a loaf for assumptions. I have several really close friends who were cross country runners who are pushing 30 and really tiny and haven’t grown much since turning 16. Those folks eat well and exercise like mad but they seem really healthy.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable making assumptions about anyone honestly based on those experiences. Hopefully they have family close enough to them and involved enough to care for their health. It’s really their job first and foremost and nothing for the general public to speculate about in my opinion. Of course we want are favorites to be healthy and safe but what can we do without a lot more knowledge then we are given.

I just cruised thru a physical with flying colors and I have reduced my food intake and replaced several meals with powder based smoothies for several years,

How was this question asked and responded to...the original quote doesn’t include what seems to be the full conversation. I’m really curious honestly.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Smoothies as meal replacement doesn't sound like a good idea for a growing athlete. Maybe it's ok for someone who isn't an athlete and is looking to cut down their weight or something.

Can't speak for Russia but in Canada we've got 'late bloomers' in our ladies because they go through puberty and they're not very competitive until later on. But they do continue to compete into their 20s partly because of their prior lack of success.

Just hope that a nutrionist can properly guide all the young female skaters as they navigate their way through puberty. It's a natural part of life and it doesn't need to be a career ending thing or something that needs to be repressed to gain some success.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just hope that a nutrionist can properly guide all the young female skaters as they navigate their way through puberty. It's a natural part of life and it doesn't need to be a career ending thing or something that needs to be repressed to gain some success.

Why only females? Males are just as much at risk and tend to be just as vulnerable to obsessing over their bodies. No need to name names but the male skaters I’ve been around or met in person from the elite level are often noticeably tinier than other men of similar age and height? Especially skinnier.

Smoothies that replace your dinners and a diet that focuses on having a bigger breakfast is something I learned from a nutritionist who works with very healthy and fit professional athletes. You just need the correct supplements and an understanding that certain smoothies are actually food what nutrition. It’s important to understand what is in them and when to consume them based on other diet and exercise for that particular day/week and have a plan.

:agree:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I never skated in Russia but, I did dance there. Like skating, as dancers we wore tiny costumes and lots of the girls "Ate like rabbits." Because we had to lift them, they were very conscious of everything they put into their bodies. I have to wonder if Alina has an "In Season" diet and an off season diet. We used to watch the calendar knowing that we could eat whatever we wanted after the last show.

This is a delicate area for skaters and dancers alike. It was only slightly easier for the boys but, we still had to perform shirtless with body paint and tights. I don't know if an article like this helps other young skaters but, this is a real issue and must be taken seriously.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Why only females? Males are just as much at risk and tend to be just as vulnerable to obsessing over their bodies. No need to name names but the male skaters I’ve been around or met in person from the elite level are often noticeably tinier than other men of similar age and height? Especially skinnier.

Smoothies that replace your dinners and a diet that focuses on having a bigger breakfast is something I learned from a nutritionist who works with very healthy and fit professional athletes. You just need the correct supplements and an understanding that certain smoothies are actually food what nutrition. It’s important to understand what is in them and when to consume them based on other diet and exercise for that particular day/week and have a plan.

Why did I not mention males? Because this thread is about a female skater. And frankly I don't know of any guys in figure skating trying to use diet to stop puberty. If there are any they should also seek the right advice.

Sorry I'm not going to advocate for smoothies as meal replacements for athletes. You may have found success with that but unless a nutritionist who works with a specific athlete recommends it to them I don't think we should be throwing out a one size fits all 'solution' for anyone. Just as training is tailored to a skater so should nutrition.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think we should be throwing out a one size fits all 'solution' for anyone. Just as training is tailored to a skater so should nutrition.

This is exactly my point. One size fits all speculation or advice for those we don’t work with or have vital information on their health is really not something we should be participating in. We shouldn’t assume anything about individual athletes regardless of their nationality, sex, etc...

Like I said...I’d like to see more context to the original story and how the dialogue went. It seems important.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Why did I not mention males? Because this thread is about a female skater. And frankly I don't know of any guys in figure skating trying to use diet to stop puberty. If there are any they should also seek the right advice.

Sorry I'm not going to advocate for smoothies as meal replacements for athletes. You may have found success with that but unless a nutritionist who works with a specific athlete recommends it to them I don't think we should be throwing out a one size fits all 'solution' for anyone. Just as training is tailored to a skater so should nutrition.

Mango......Whether or not they're trying to stop puberty.....Johhny Weir and Evan Lysacek were frighteningly thin when I saw them skate live. This was when they were Juniors and Johnny won the Gold and Evan the Silver. Evan was so thin, I could see his hip bones through his costume. Skating is an extremely aerobic sport and when you're training at a high level...You can eat almost anything and burn it off in an afternoon. It's off season when these skaters have to watch their diets.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
This is exactly my point. One size fits all speculation or advice for those we don’t work with or have vital information on their health is really not something we should be participating in. We shouldn’t assume anything about individual athletes regardless of their nationality, sex, etc...

Like I said...I’d like to see more context to the original story and how the dislogue went. It seems important.

Not speculation. Diet advice. Don't conflate two things.

Not eating is just a terrible idea, regardless of who you are and what you are doing.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Mango......Whether or not they're trying to stop puberty.....Johhny Weir and Evan Lysacek were frighteningly thin when I saw them skate live. This was when they were Juniors and Johnny won the Gold and Evan the Silver. Evan was so thin, I could see his hip bones through his costume. Skating is an extremely aerobic sport and when you're training at a high level...You can eat almost anything and burn it off in an afternoon. It's off season when these skaters have to watch their diets.

Unless that was the way they're built genetically that's sad to hear mrrice. I think the pairs skaters are some of the most fit in skating I've seen. We should encourage some to become nutritionists and advise their peers. You need muscles to skate after all, and need the right diet to maintain them.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not speculation. Diet advice. Don't conflate two things.

Not eating is just a terrible idea, regardless of who you are and what you are doing.

If you consider an 800 calorie smoothie as not eating than you just don’t understand how they can be properly introduced into a diet. They aren’t for everyone and certainly not for every meal or every day but this isn’t something new or even out of the ordinary for high level athletes. You seem to not understand that a smoothie full of nutrition is not equal to not eating. Now abusing them and malnutrition is a completely different topic than what I’m discussing. This is why I want context.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Alina has a habit of snacking on chocolate when she gets hungry before or after practice but she does not eat anything after dark at all. She only drinks tea for dinner to control her weight and she thinks that the weight gain is detrimental to her jumps.

It sounded like she still liked to sit at the dinner table but she eats her food at a different time earlier in the day. That would seem like it would make training impossible brcause Tea does not count as dinner and her energy and strength would become depleted. I hope someone is watching out for her.

In Moscow, Alina lives with her grandmother who cooks meals for her and she's well taken care of. In the TV footage I watched, she described above while sitting at a dinner table, which was full of delicious-looking dishes, and her grandmother urged to her to take a bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.