Any Ashley news? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Any Ashley news?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley is more organic or natural in she is who she is. For some reason for example you bleieve who ashley is by her actions and what she says.

True. Authenticity comes through, on the ice and off.

Great potential but unfufilled at least for now. Bradie, Mirai, Ashley, Gracie, Karen - really all could medal at big events including worlds if they got it together

A few facts:

1. Ashley still holds the record for the highest score (I believe) by a U.S. lady in an international competition. Worlds 2016: 215.39.

2. Even in her worst years recently, 2016-17 and 2017-18, Ashley still medaled at a GP: She won Gold at 2016 SA, and Bronze at 2017 SC. Only Bradie also medaled in the 2017 series: she earned a Bronze, at SA.

3. Oh, yeah, and I neglected to mention, upthread, that Ashley is still the only U.S. lady (ETA: except Alyssa Czisny in 2010) to medal at a Grand Prix Final since 2006, if I'm not mistaken. Not once. Ashley medaled Three times.

4. The International Judges like Ashley's skating and reward her when she doesn't UR ... and even when she does. They reward her charisma, her commitment to her programs, her passion, and her musicality.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
…. A few facts:

1. Ashley still holds the record for the highest score (I believe) by a U.S. lady in an international competition. Worlds 2016: 215.39.

2. Even in her worst years recently, 2016-17 and 2017-18, Ashley still medaled at a GP: She won Gold at 2016 SA, and Bronze at 2017 SC. Only Bradie also medaled in the 2017 series: she earned a Bronze, at SA.

3. Oh, yeah, and I neglected to mention, upthread, that Ashley is still the only U.S. lady to medal at a Grand Prix Final since 2006, if I'm not mistaken. Not once. Three times.

4. The International Judges like Ashley's skating and reward her when she doesn't UR ... and even when she does. They reward her charisma, her commitment to her programs, her passion, and her musicality.

One correction:

Alissa Czisny won the gold medal at the GPF in Dec 2010.​

beachmouse

On the Ice
Ashley's a favorite of mine- there's a real interesting spirit in her that comes through in her programs. But she's talked about how concussions have messed with her memory enough that she has problems learning new programs, and if she does get back on the ice and discovers that's still a problem, then it's time to move on. I don't want to see her end up with the swiss cheese brains scans of an NFL player.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley's a favorite of mine- there's a real interesting spirit in her that comes through in her programs. But she's talked about how concussions have messed with her memory enough that she has problems learning new programs, and if she does get back on the ice and discovers that's still a problem, then it's time to move on. I don't want to see her end up with the swiss cheese brains scans of an NFL player.

Your sentence that I bolded is an eloquent, wonderful expression of Ashley's appeal.

And of course, if Ashley decides to go with other opportunities and chooses not to compete any more, I'll wholeheartedly support her choice. (even tho' regretfully).

However, I don't think it's learning new programs that would cause further damage to her. That would be if she were to hit her head on the ice and get right back onto the ice, as she has said was the policy of skaters and coaches years ago; or to skate too soon after a suspicion of a concussion. I don't believe for a minute that Ashley would endanger her future health, so I have confidence if she has signals that she's causing more damage, she'll quit.

From my experience with senior citizens, I think that practice of a skill (as, in Ashley's case, learning new programs would be), even if it's not as easy as it used to be, is good for the brain.

Warwick360

Medalist
I hear she's still FURIOUS!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Love her but I wish she hadn't stirred all that drama, especially when her performance was affected by complacency. :disapp:

fenway3

On the Ice
Lots of people are asked to be on DWTS and turn it down. A lot of them don't talk about it. Sometimes it comes out only when they finally say 'yes' after years of 'no's.

Makes sense. In fact, I've been turning them down for years and haven't told anybody till now. :laugh:

It's a huge commitment of time. Michelle continually balances many responsibilities in her schedule. The timing just hasn't worked out yet.

I don't think Michelle is against the possibility in general, though, some day.

I bet she's been asked. Anyway, if they keep up the current format, the time commitment will definitely be a bit smaller than before. :)

fenway3

On the Ice
Apparently he is upset about Adam getting SOI and DWTS according to,Page six and Adam apparently agreed in an interview I saw.

Adam agreed about what?

Anyway Imnoticed Kristi stayed away.

Huh?

And I will be Meryl had nothing to say to Tonya Harding.

Did they meet or something?

Tonya said she didn’t know who Mirai was? Really?

I didn't know that. I did hear that Mirai has had only positive things to say about Tonya, which is refreshing. I don't know what Mirai's like in real life, of course, but she does come across as a sweet person.

As for Ashley, maybe she will get asked eventually.

fenway3

On the Ice
But she's talked about how concussions have messed with her memory enough that she has problems learning new programs, and if she does get back on the ice and discovers that's still a problem, then it's time to move on. I don't want to see her end up with the swiss cheese brains scans of an NFL player.

:shocked: How common are concussions among figure skaters?

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Her fears about what exactly?

That was the arena Nationals was held in this year. So it was the arena that crushed her Olympic dreams for 2018 - she and Jason said it was nerve-wracking to step on the ice there again, and doing so was overcoming an emotional bogart.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Anyway, I know none of us have any real news but I wanted to say I saw Ashley last night at SOI and she's just as wonderful and passionate as I've ever seen her. I would love to see her continue to skate, just for herself. She seems healthy and seems to have found a balance between her personal life and skating since Nationals and really reinforced to herself what's important to her - hopefully she can continue to develop in every aspect of life she cares about, including skating. I love Ashley and it would be truly special to see her do what she loves most for a few more years. And she's still competitive, especially in US senior ladies. I think we have to consider the field around her. Yeah, she may have gotten left off the Olympic team, but the fact is she's still pretty consistent and proficient and has proven herself time and time again to be a fighter.

Go Ashley!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyway, I know none of us have any real news but I wanted to say I saw Ashley last night at SOI and she's just as wonderful and passionate as I've ever seen her. I would love to see her continue to skate, just for herself. She seems healthy and seems to have found a balance between her personal life and skating since Nationals and really reinforced to herself what's important to her - hopefully she can continue to develop in every aspect of life she cares about, including skating. I love Ashley and it would be truly special to see her do what she loves most for a few more years. And she's still competitive, especially in US senior ladies. I think we have to consider the field around her. Yeah, she may have gotten left off the Olympic team, but the fact is she's still pretty consistent and proficient and has proven herself time and time again to be a fighter.

Go Ashley!

:agree: I couldn't agree more. In the figure skating world, Ashley is a treasure. :luv17:

She's a luminous presence on the ice. Her presence is what first drew me to her in 2013, and it's multiplied since then. She was 22 then, and when I think of how she's developed as a skater since that time, I'm just so grateful that she fights, is competitive, and keeps her lights fully trained on the skating and performance values that matter to her.