ESPN World Fame 100 list | Page 4 | Golden Skate

ESPN World Fame 100 list

sun110

Final Flight
I can't believe that I'm reading that , maybe in North America , Rippon & Chen have more recognition , but I can assure you that outside NA , nobody that I know remember about them or at least they're way less talked about . For figure skating , peoples talk to me about Hanyu , Zagitova , Nagasu and Virtue/Moir that's all .

This. Totally agree.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
https://trends.google.com/trends/ex...&q=/m/05b51vc,/m/02xt6q,/m/0bbz0vm,/m/02wc4tf

Here's the Worldwide Google Trends score comparison for Hanyu, Ronaldo, Chen, and Rippon from March 19, 2017 to March 19, 2018.

Thank you. Ahh some favor they did Yuzuru Hanyu ... they actually looked at the data. Imagine that.

Anyway, it is actually very good to see the spikes around Olympics, and even then see just how much higher Yuzuru was. When we stay at skaters only

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=/m/05b51vc,/m/02wc4tf,/m/0bbz0vm

it's curious to see that both Nathan and Rippon had only a third of Yuzuru's, with Rippon ahead by a bit. In 18 out of 20 regions Hanyu is ahead of the two, and while in Canada it is close, it is only the USA where the trend is radically different. NA is, surprisingly, not the representation of the entire world and it shows when low search areas are included too.
DWTS has naturally, done nothing for Rippon in terms of WW influence because the world could not care less. It's hopefully done something for him in the USA itself, his primary target in any case.

Thank you. Ahh some favor they did Yuzuru Hanyu ... they actually looked at the data. Imagine that.

Anyway, it is actually very good to see the spikes around Olympics, and even then see just how much higher Yuzuru was. When we stay at skaters only

it's curious to see that both Nathan and Rippon had only a third of Yuzuru's, with Rippon ahead by a bit. In 18 out of 20 regions Hanyu is ahead of the two, and while in Canada it is close, it is only the USA where the trend is radically different. NA is, surprisingly, not the representation of the entire world.
DWTS has naturally, done nothing for Rippon in terms of WW influence because the world could not care less. It's hopefully done something for him in the USA itself, his primary target in any case.

I actually also thought it was interesting that Hanyu exceeded Ronaldo's popularity in terms of this metric, during the Olympics. They used Ronaldo as the baseline after all, and it's FIFA season, too! I wonder what conclusion we could draw from there?

sun110

Final Flight

it's curious to see that both Nathan and Rippon had only a third of Yuzuru's, with Rippon ahead by a bit. DWTS has naturally, done nothing for Rippon in terms of WW influence because the world could not care less. It's hopefully done something for him in the USA itself which is what is his primary target anyway.

I took out yuzuru from the list and I'm surprised that Rippon consistently trended higher than Chen during and after Oly. I mean, Chen won the wc but it didn't have impact on the google trend?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I actually also thought it was interesting that Hanyu exceeded Ronaldo's popularity in terms of this metric, during the Olympics. They used Ronaldo as the baseline after all, and it's FIFA season, too! I wonder what conclusion we could draw from there?

He is an extremely popular athlete, in general, world-wide and doesn't need any favors from anyone. He is the most popular figure skater. It's good for figure skating overall that we do have someone who is on radar in such a way, as evident by his presence even now, during off season.

The denials etc ... it's just insignificant blips on the screen to be perfectly honest, no matter how much the saltiness amuses me. Those who matter look at hard data and that's all.

Danny T

Medalist

I wouldn't think much about it really. I think it's just the Olympics amplifying things, every winter athlete got a boost proportional to their normal stats. Of course, since normal Yuzu already has much larger presence than others :shrug:

Ronaldo has been same old, same old this season for the most part, so I think that's why his stats have been the relatively constant. I'm sure by the time World Cup rolls around, it'll be much higher LOL (or even Champions League final this weekend)

Panpie

On the Ice
He is an extremely popular athlete, in general, world-wide and doesn't need any favors from anyone. He is the most popular figure skater. It's good for figure skating overall that we do have someone who is on radar in such a way, as evident by his presence even now, during off season.

The denials etc ... it's just insignificant blips on the screen to be perfectly honest, no matter how much the saltiness amuses me. Those who matter look at hard data and that's all.

Some people here like to get a rise out of Yuzuru fans by saying Adam and Nathan are more famous, he has the absolute worst costumes ever, etc. The people writing that stuff know it's not true, but they usually get a response, which is what they're after.

It's great that Yuzuru made the list, but I think it's fair to criticize the Tiger Beat tone of the article. My 84-year-old mother thinks Yuzuru looks like he stepped off the set of a romance drama, but I wouldn't expect her to provide the money quote in an article about his fame. I'm sure the author had a word count and a deadline to consider, but she could have included a sentence or two about Yuzuru's athletic accomplishments and left out some of the fluff. I don't think it's too much to expect that an article about any athlete's fame include a sentence or two about what he's done in competition, which then led to the fame. The article reads like a first or second draft that the author should have let sit for an hour or two and then reviewed to see how she could make it better.

Panpie

On the Ice
I took out yuzuru from the list and I'm surprised that Rippon consistently trended higher than Chen during and after Oly. I mean, Chen won the wc but it didn't have impact on the google trend?

Adam's issues with Mike Pence and competing on Dancing with the Stars are probably the reasons for that.

yude

Record Breaker
Honestly, I know I sound very mean but I'm feeling so good right now looking at the reaction of some Japanese soccer and baseball fans. They had never accepted Hanyu's achievements and popularity outside Japan just because figure skating was not a sport for them, but now, he has been on the same list as their idols :laugh: I'm sure they will keep refusing the results and that's fine though. I'll just enjoy this moment for a while, hehe, I'm so evil!

Thank you ESPN and congratulations Yuzuru again!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I did a google trend search for a couple of other winter Olympics athletes and found it interesting that the only athlete of those I've research that got a higher peak during the Olympics than Yuzuru was Shaun White but his overall search trends are otherwise lower than Yuzuru's. Lindsey Vonn had another peak outside of the Olympics; someone who follows alpine skiing should know why more than I do.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=/m/05b51vc,/m/02wc4tf,/m/0bbz0vm,Lindsey Vonn,Shaun White

I did a google trend search for a couple of other winter Olympics athletes and found it interesting that the only athlete of those I've research that got a higher peak during the Olympics than Yuzuru was Shaun White but his overall search trends are otherwise lower than Yuzuru's. Lindsey Vonn had another peak outside of the Olympics; someone who follows alpine skiing should know why more than I do.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=/m/05b51vc,/m/02wc4tf,/m/0bbz0vm,Lindsey Vonn,Shaun White

Correcting the search terms to actually include the profession yields: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=/m/05b51vc,/m/02wc4tf,/m/0bbz0vm,/m/0b82h8,/m/04j7xw

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Lindsey Vonn had another peak outside of the Olympics; someone who follows alpine skiing should know why more than I do.

Looking at the time of the month, my first thought was that it was when a new episode of "Chasing History" was broadcast (they normally come out around the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] of the month).

But then I did a Google search for Lindsey using the date range of the whole of August 2017 (to allow for delays in reaction), and going by the summariess of the pages that came up (I didn't click into them), it sounds like a hacker leaked photos of her.

So, nothing to do with Alpine Skiing.

CaroLiza_fan

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Looking at the time of the month, my first thought was that it was when a new episode of "Chasing History" was broadcast (they normally come out around the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] of the month).

But then I did a Google search for Lindsey using the date range of the whole of August 2017 (to allow for delays in reaction), and going by the summariess of the pages that came up (I didn't click into them), it sounds like a hacker leaked photos of her.

So, nothing to do with Alpine Skiing.

CaroLiza_fan

Ouch. Poor Lindsey. :(