2018 Aerial Challenge | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 Aerial Challenge

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She's fearless, and you bet she's watching Sasha Trusova and thinking "I want to do that, I want to beat her" :biggrin:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I think, as it is, you are asking for an injury. It's a pure jump competition. The compulsion to win should be enough motivation for anyone who can do the top jumps to go for them.

So if Alysa popped than Audrey/Hanna wins with an << and a fall? The requirements need to be relative to the field. I think that everyone should have been able to put out the most difficult element they can do well and receive BV + GOE. That way they're not forcing people to compete 3As and quads they can't do and they still have a slim chance on GOE against a more difficult attempt. Alysa still would have been the rightful winner as her 3As were gorgeous and deserved + GOE. If she had popped or fallen the ladies event would have been pretty lame.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So if Alysa popped than Audrey/Hanna wins with an << and a fall? The requirements need to be relative to the field. I think that everyone should have been able to put out the most difficult element they can do well and receive BV + GOE. That way they're not forcing people to compete 3As and quads they can't do and they still have a slim chance on GOE against a more difficult attempt. Alysa still would have been the rightful winner as her 3As were gorgeous and deserved + GOE. If she had popped or fallen the ladies event would have been pretty lame.

Agreed.

frida80

Record Breaker
Getting ready to be an actual contender on next year's JGP. You go, girl.

She’s already a contender. Three 3A would take down most of the competition. Next year if she has any Quad to go with it, she’ll be a full on threat. Her spins are all level four with great positive GoE. All she really needs is to pick up her speed with her 3A and work on her step sequence.

What’s remarkable is how consistent she is a,ready. I’m used to seeing kids botch either their SP or FS early in the season until they get used to them. Alyssa contently lands all her jumps aside from her 3As. In a year, when they become really solid I have a hard time imagining her not at the JGPF or on the podium at JW.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tomoki Hiwatashi wins!

And alongside my pining for Josh's presence I'm suddenly hit from behind by a severe case of missing Max. A lot.

Congratulations to Tomoki, Jordan, Camden, Alysa, Hanna, Audrey. :ghug:

Loved seeing Josh having a blast :hap93: as a judge.

(I did miss Max terrrrrrrrrribly at this comp. :sad4:)

Forgive me, but I’m a lazy bum and not willing to look it up...

Are they having the team comp this year. Dolensky’s Destroyers ... that was a hoot:laugh:

In case anyone is wondering: the name of the team was Dolensky's Dynamos.

("Dolensky's Destroyers" was -- and apparently still is ;) -- just el henry's wishful thinking.)

The Aerial Challenge team event was lotsa fun last year. I have a feeling that it might not be back until 2021, assuming that 2022 OWG has the team event again.

ETA:

Championship Round scores for the men, per @campulk Insta story:

Tomoki 27.60
Camden 15.33
Jordan 12.60​

Random :ghug: moments that I liked and forgot to mention earlier:

Jordan and Camden slapping hands as they skated past each other during one of the warm-ups. (For the "Final Round," IIRC.)

After Tomoki won, he high-fived with his former coach Doug Ladret as well as with Jordan.​

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She’s already a contender. Three 3A would take down most of the competition. Next year if she has any Quad to go with it, she’ll be a full on threat. Her spins are all level four with great positive GoE. All she really needs is to pick up her speed with her 3A and work on her step sequence.

What’s remarkable is how consistent she is a,ready. I’m used to seeing kids botch either their SP or FS early in the season until they get used to them. Alyssa contently lands all her jumps aside from her 3As. In a year, when they become really solid I have a hard time imagining her not at the JGPF or on the podium at JW.

3A is not allowed in junior short program, but neither are quads. I think for that, she should work on getting her -3Lo combo back, especially before adding a quad. 3A and 3A combo plus -3Lo combo is more than even Kihira does, and she's much more consistent than Kihira. Her consistency is really what impresses me -- it's just the second 3A but I think that it's just too close together and that they'll fix it. Laura Lipetsky is sure doing something right...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, when I’m wrong about a name, aka Dolensky’s Dynamic Destoyers:laugh2: at least I’m consistent;)

And I liked the team event as part of the fun. I think it’s great that skating fans have something to follow, but no club comp, artistic, aerial or otherwise, can tell us an enormous amount. It *is* skating, which is good:thumbsup:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The team event also gave us Max in a tank top, and should be immortalised for that reason alone.

:D

frida80

Record Breaker
3A is not allowed in junior short program, but neither are quads. I think for that, she should work on getting her -3Lo combo back, especially before adding a quad. 3A and 3A combo plus -3Lo combo is more than even Kihira does, and she's much more consistent than Kihira. Her consistency is really what impresses me -- it's just the second 3A but I think that it's just too close together and that they'll fix it. Laura Lipetsky is sure doing something right...

Ah Yes. That silly rule. I know she's done +3Lo last year, but they were called <<. She needs to fix her prerotation first.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
As the solo jump. It's allowed in the combination. Of course, that's much riskier.

Also, Alysa would need to attempt 3A/3T to really make it worth it. 3A/2T would not be worth much more than 3F/3T, especially after likely GOE. However, as we saw in yesterday's round two, she is a risk taker.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
As the solo jump. It's allowed in the combination. Of course, that's much riskier.
no, it is not. axel jump is not allowed in combination even in senior SP.

Short Program must include 2 solo jumps:
− double or triple Axel for Senior & Junior Men and for Senior Ladies, double
Axel for Junior Ladies;

− a jump immediately preceded by connecting steps and/or other comparable
Free Skating movements:
− Senior Men - any triple or a quadruple jump;
− Senior Ladies - any triple jump;
− Junior Men and Ladies - double or triple Lutz.
For Senior Men when a quadruple jump is executed in a jump combination, a different quadruple jump can be included as a solo jump.
For Senior & Junior Men and for Senior Ladies, when the triple Axel is executed as an Axel jump, it cannot be repeated again as a solo jump or in the jump combination.
Solo jumps must be different from the jumps included in the combination.
A single spread eagle, spiral/Free Skating movement cannot be considered as meeting the requirements of connecting steps and/or other comparable Free Skating movements the lack of which must be considered by the Judges in the GOE.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This evening, Aerial Challenge finally posted an official retraction to correct the men's placements (which were incorrectly announced at the medal ceremony).

We’d like to issue a retraction of our initial Men’s final results announcement. After checking the accounting, we realized we neglected to include Jordan’s technical panel scores in the final results. For men, Tomoki Hiwatashi is the champion. Camden Pulkinen placed second. Jordan Moeller placed third.
Additionally, check out the attached photos for final scores in both events, as well as accounting for the men’s event to clarify any confusion.
Thank you for your patience! We hope you all enjoyed yesterday’s event!!

https://www.facebook.com/AerialFigureSkatingChallenge/posts/933498063519293 (Jun 24)​

And Aerial Challenge posted a series of tweets with the same information and photos:

The bottom line from the results sheet and protocols is that Camden placed second and Jordan third (although the posted explanation for the original error does not quite make sense).

ETA (on Jun 27):

Per score sheets for the "Final Round" (before Championship Round):

For the men, Emmanuel Savary placed fourth and Dinh Tran placed fifth.

For the ladies, Ashley Lin fourth and Courtney Hicks fifth.

https://twitter.com/AerialChallenge/status/1011288580772130817 (Jun 25)
https://www.facebook.com/AerialFigureSkatingChallenge/posts/934189463450153