Memorable Commentator Reactions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Memorable Commentator Reactions

Henni147

Final Flight
Sorry, but I couldn't withstand to share Max and Angelo in Barcelona, too :laugh2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ7CCGnkojk&t=342s

Chorus: TES 120!! [both die from laughing]
[...]
Ambesi: Now the dilemma is the following: In front of such a program, you as a judge sitting at the rinkside, how can you NOT give a 10 to: Choreography, interpretation, skating skills - because the steps and the flow you can see here is a rare thing - Performance is a 10 by right and since the last component follows the other four, just give a 10 for everything and stop. Game over.
[...]
Dolfini: I don't think, we'll get 100, but we won't be that far.
Ambesi: How many North American judges do we have? From the US? Let's check...
[...]
Dolfini: Just one.
Ambesi: Eh, that one could give some problem.
Dolfini: But the lowest score gets dropped.
Ambesi: The lowest score gets dropped, that's true.

Max and Angelo roasting US-judges :rofl::rofl:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
TAT shouting "tri-tri-tri" when Zhenya did her 3-3-3 at 2017 Russian nationals

Tanager

On the Ice
Giving a shoutout to the tdp commentators. I didn't have to understand Spanish to realize how excited they were through the last minute and a half of Javier's FS at 2015WC in anticipation of having their country's first World Champion:

https://youtu.be/hz50O9z4Elk?t=235

I recently rewatched the Pairs final group FS from 2015 Worlds with the tdp commentators. The only thing I understood was their awed exclamations of wow! after seemingly every well-executed element. Their enthusiasm is definitely appreciated and infectious!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm absurdly fond of the moment when one of the B.ESP guys mutters 'Keep it going, kid' almost under his breath to Laurine in the middle of her FS at Euros in 2017. It's not just OTT shouting that tells you when a commentator's invested in a performance!

fishing

Rinkside
I remember Barabara Underhill saying when Sale and Pelletiers marks came up after 'Love Story' at the Olympics putting them in second place "This is wrong!" For me when I heard that it was the trigger of the scandal to follow.

Henni147

Final Flight
The shade that Max throw to other skaters though :biggrin: Poor Jason and Dice. Angelo shows more modération.
I do believe that both Max and Angelo respect Jason, especially for his great spins, sequences and artistic skills. Otherwise they wouldn't chose him as a paramount example of a skater "who needs to learn how to jump first":
Ambesi: Italian boys, who watch this competition and skate, need to understand a thing: you must learn how to jump first of all. If they tell you, you can win competitions with PCS, change your coaches! I'm taking full responsibility of what I'm saying.
[...]
These skaters are both - great jumpers AND artists, but without quality on the jumping elements you can't go anywhere. Jin Boyang is weak on the basic skating skills, but he gets 5th in the GP Final with 263 points, because he knows how to jump. If you don't know how to jump, you can't compete to win. Jason Brown is the best example. Maybe he'll learn a quad, too, and he'll be at the same level with Hanyu, Fernandez, Uno, Chan, Jin, who wrote figure skating history today, because we've never seen a competition like this before.
Max might sound harsh here, but I think, Jason took his advice by word and moved to Orser for exactly the same reason.

believed

On the Ice
My favorite is the BESP commentary for V/M’s Prince SD at Worlds, especially after 30 seconds in, they go “they’ve won it for me already!”

And obviously: “Hip hop, blues, and a blues-rock combination all represented by Prince... and here are the king and queen of ice dance.”

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I do believe that both Max and Angelo respect Jason, especially for his great spins, sequences and artistic skills. Otherwise they wouldn't chose him as a paramount example of a skater "who needs to learn how to jump first":

Max might sound harsh here, but I think, Jason took his advice by word and moved to Orser for exactly the same reason.

Oh it's not that part that made me laugh. That was a good advice to all skaters, not harsh at all.
It's the part when they talk about the US judge. "They are those who criticize Hanyu. They, who have Jason Brown"

Henni147

Final Flight
Oh it's not that part that made me laugh. That was a good advice to all skaters, not harsh at all.
It's the part when they talk about the US judge. "They are those who criticize Hanyu. They, who have Jason Brown"
Yo, right! Max' wording was not very fortunate indeed... :laugh: I'm sure he didn't mean it like that, but it sounded pretty contemptuous towards Jason...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I really loved British ESP reaction to Daisuke Takahashi's 'Blues for Klook' FS at Nice Worlds in 2012 - I think they voiced a lot of people's feelings at that moment. Nice Worlds produced also their great reaction to Sui/Han's Soul of Flamenco FS (where they did quad twist and quad throw)

Giselle

Medalist
I don't understand Spanish at all but when I watch Papadakis/Cizeron on youtube I always love the Spanish commentators and their "Madre Mia!!!!"

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
"This is an olympic champion's program". Candelero during Mao's FS in Sochi.