When were Gloves Effective? | Golden Skate

When were Gloves Effective?

randomfan

Record Breaker
On most FS dresses, gloves often look awkward and distracting, which kinda ruins the picture. But there are also times when gloves work very well with the dress, such as Yulia Lipnitskaya's Schindler's List, where the gloves were absolutely genius paired along with that gorgeous dress :love:. Do you ever recall a time when a skater's gloves actually enhanced the whole look? Or at least did not negatively affect the look?

rmsxvi

Rinkside
Evgenia Medvedeva's Anna Karenina dress is beautiful in my opinion. So does Alina Zagitova's Don Quixote dress!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Starr Andrew's Summertime. Karen Chen's On Golden Pond (actually quite a few of Karen's had exquisite gloves). Mao's Black Swan. Ksenia Makarova's Marilyn in 2011. Anna Pogorilaya's Firebird. Rika's and Bradies's gloves this season blending into the sleeves so beautifully, as did Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's Peer Gynt a couple of years ago.

(The question seems to be just about the women, or you know where my mind would be going... or damn it, went. Though Mura and Voronov also do a nice line in gloves too :luv17:)

pearly

Record Breaker

lappo

Final Flight
I liked Trusova's from last year SP "Big Spender", with the pearls matching the costume.
I also liked Suzuki's gloves from her "Kill Bill" SP.
I agree with Yulia's Schindler's list and Alina's DQ; as for Medvedeva, while I liked her last dress for Anna Karenina, gloves included, I also really liked the first red one that she wore at DOI and Japan Open with matching gloves.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Thank you for reminding of that J.O. performance. I liked the black dress for that program best.

Think of previous French skaters, I'm reminded of Moniotte and Lavanchy in 1994. With Moniotte wearing gloves matching her dress. In ice dance it has been more often.
Sophie Moniotte and Pascal Lavanchy 1994 Lillehammer Olympic FD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANw8O-1Wo_s

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Now I am remembering more and more programs with gloved skaters. Gusmeroli in 1999 and Czako in 1997 for example. I guess they were regularly part of single skaters' costumes too.

Ulrica

On the Ice
Personally gloves compliment the look most of the time, often times with costumes without gloves I find myself thinking the whole look would be better with gloves.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I will be the mala voce

I hate gloves, hate hate hate gloves. I don’t like them on ladies and I particularly don’t like them on men. Not even when my favs Andrew T. and Donovan C. wear gloves.

:no:

But that’s just cause I don’t like them. We all have our crosses to bear:laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally gloves compliment the look most of the time, often times with costumes without gloves I find myself thinking the whole look would be better with gloves.

^This

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Well, I will be the mala voce

I hate gloves, hate hate hate gloves. I don’t like them on ladies and I particularly don’t like them on men. Not even when my favs Andrew T. and Donovan C. wear gloves.

:no:

But that’s just cause I don’t like them. We all have our crosses to bear:laugh:

Nobody ever used to wear gloves, back in the 20th Century, or at least most of it. As a skater, having to skate in competition without gloves was scary. Everyone always wore them for practice, and I remember feeling so "naked" without gloves skating in competitions and shows. It really contributed to competition stress and nerves, at least for me, but I was nervous and terrible at competing anyway. Someone who was more of a fireball competitor probably would have been so charged up they wouldn't have cared. I think the pros would try to have us go without gloves during program run-throughs in the days or weeks before a competition, but it was hard to get used to. I wish I had been able to wear gloves, even though el henry probably would have hated my gloves. :biggrin:

So skating went from no gloves in competition, pretty much ever - (not that there was a rule against it, but it just wasn't done) - to gloves being part of the costume and fairly standard. My question is who started this and when did this transition start to happen, and was there a backlash in the scoring of the first few skaters who wore gloves? Or was everyone just like, "oh, that's a good idea, skaters will do better if they feel more secure wearing gloves, why didn't we do this before?"