2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Interesting that Bianca's life story parallels Stephen Gogolov's: parents came to Canada, athlete born in Canada, family moved back to country of parents' origin for a few years, athlete did sport in that country, family moved back to Canada, athlete continued career and competes for Canada.

I wonder if there are rabid posters on tennis forums insisting Bianca is "really" Romanian?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In reply to 4everchan:

My point stands that Keegan and Bianca are apples and oranges in terms of this discussion.

As a tennis player, Canadian-born Bianca has represented Canada -- not Romania -- in Federation Cup competition.

As a figure skater, U.S.-born Keegan most recently has represented Canada. (A totally reasonable decision.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In reply to 4everchan:

My point stands that Keegan and Bianca are apples and oranges in terms of this discussion.

As a tennis player, Canadian-born Bianca has represented Canada -- not Romania -- in Federation Cup competition.

As a figure skater, U.S.-born Keegan most recently has represented Canada. (A totally reasonable decision.)

but my point is not so much about sport but about explaining why the behaviour is labeled canadian....i guess i could have omitted anything romanian in the discussion as clearly that was too much info for some

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting that Bianca's life story parallels Stephen Gogolov's: parents came to Canada, athlete born in Canada, family moved back to country of parents' origin for a few years, athlete did sport in that country, family moved back to Canada, athlete continued career and competes for Canada.

I wonder if there are rabid posters on tennis forums insisting Bianca is "really" Romanian?

i am sure there are ... as there were for milos...

- - - Updated - - -

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My last post on this subject:

If Keegan had represented Team USA at ACI and had held the Japanese flag for Yuzuru, I think it is far less likely that Canadian media would have referred to Keegan's admirable behavior as "Canadian."

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My last post on this subject:

If Keegan had represented Team USA at ACI and had held the Japanese flag for Yuzuru, I think it is far less likely that Canadian media would have referred to Keegan's admirable behavior as "Canadian."

exactly : you just confirmed my point... Canadian media would have said, true sportsmanship by Keegan Messing.... however, the mentality of being nice, classy and having great sportsmanship is so deeply ingrained in Canadian culture that the stereotype is commonly found in Canadian media when Canadian athletes show their classy-selves.

this is exactly what I was explaining above: as I said, this goes beyond the specific athlete or anecdote.... nobody here is claiming that Keegan has become a nicer human being since he's started skating for Canada...what I and some others have said, is simply that the media, of course, would depict that as a Canadian hero story. I am sure that Keegan himself had no issue with it :)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Coincidentally, our guys at the JGP Gdansk performed to Beethoven for their free skate with gorgeous costumes.

Because I wasn't able to watch the Minto livestream, and Corey withdrew from the LP at North York, this is the first time I've seen his beautiful interpretation of "Moonlight Sonata" :luv17: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ORaF8-P8nA There were a few errors, but he achieved new Personal Bests in the FS and total scores.

Joseph is much closer to the "Emperor" that I know that he's capable of being and skated by FAR his best LP this season :love: , earning a new PB FS score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVFGbhtzLk

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That was definitely Joseph's best skate since 2019 Nationals, so hopefully he can be ready to perform well in Mississauga. Obviously disappointing results on the JGP again.

I really have no idea what to expect from Stephen next week, but he's going to need everything in his old arsenal, probably, given how packed that event is (and the technical level of junior men's skating has gone up noticeably compared to last year).

Dance will be really interesting in Croatia because below the Georgians you've got three teams that won bronze medals at their first event (Taschlerova/Taschler, Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy, Bashynska/Beaumont), plus Bronsard/Bouaraguia (who just missed out and clearly have a lot of scoring upside given how error-strewn they were in Courchevel), Golubtsova/Belobrov (who had a disaster RD but a FD that is much more competitive in their first outing), the new team of DelCamp/Somerville, etc.

From the US Classic, I'm increasingly excited for Wang/Boudreau-Audet's potential. They finished ninth, not really surprising for a brand new team, but considering how new they are they're really promising. Nadine probably has the best side-by-side jumps of any of our current pair girls other than KMT.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Keegan is not only US-born, but he continues to live in the US.

Keegan represents the best of what North America has to offer. We should celebrate his humanity rather than fight over who is responsible for such grace. Sportsmanship is rare to see these days, and appreciated when we see it.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Carolane and Shane had yet another random fall in the free dance at the U.S. Classic, thankfully not on an element this time. But, in an unexpectedly positive twist, they broke their personal best free dance score by several points and ended up just behind Carreira/Ponomarenko in that segment. The international judges haven't shown that much interest in these two in a while, so that's good news for them.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Keegan represents the best of what North America has to offer. We should celebrate his humanity rather than fight over who is responsible for such grace. Sportsmanship is rare to see these days, and appreciated when we see it.

Rather amusingly, this reminds me of the endless dispute between Australia and New Zealand over which country gets credit for bestowing the greatest dessert ever - pavlova - on the world. When something's really really good, everyone wants to take a share of the credit...

Keegan, love, you're clearly the pavlova of the skating world, and that is NO bad thing to be. :love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Keegan is not only US-born, but he continues to live in the US.
Considering the Reeds and Tran change countries like people change socks and even the great Savchenko changed countried for oly gold at least Messing has come real Canadian ties and not flip flop. Kaitlyn Weaver, Tanith Belbin have all switched nations in search of skating success. Tonnes of skaters from the US have skated for other countries just so they could go to the world championship or olympics. Keegan wouldn't the the first or last. AT leastMessing has some real Canadian roots and hasn't flipped nations. where the wind blows

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've uploaded a few of the recent junior men's performances at 59 frames per second.

2019 Joseph Phan JGP Gdansk SP (1080p, 59 fps): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7lh8kb

2019 Joseph Phan JGP Gdansk LP (1080p, 59 fps): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ljtnm

2019 Corey Circelli JGP Gdansk SP (1080p, 59 fps): https://streamable.com/upmat

2019 Corey Circelli JGP Gdansk LP (1080p, 59 fps): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ljtqr

2019 Iliya Kovler JGP Chelyabinsk LP (1080p, 59 fps): https://streamable.com/s02qn

Keegan, love, you're clearly the pavlova of the skating world, and that is NO bad thing to be. :love:
:agree:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Rather amusingly, this reminds me of the endless dispute between Australia and New Zealand over which country gets credit for bestowing the greatest dessert ever - pavlova - on the world. When something's really really good, everyone wants to take a share of the credit...

How can pavlova possibly be the best dessert in the world if it doesn't have chocolate in it???

:confused2:

As far as Keegan, the man chose to be a Canadian citizen. That is HIS choice. And good for him, as long as he's happy.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How can pavlova possibly be the best dessert in the world if it doesn't have chocolate in it???

:confused2:

Oh you can have chocolate if you must (a workmate's mother crushes up mint thins and swirls them through the thickly layered cream, and then puts chocolate curls on top). Or cover it with berries, then drizzle chocolate over instead of passionfruit. Or....

Yeah, I know, :eek:topic:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh you can have chocolate if you must (a workmate's mother crushes up mint thins and swirls them through the thickly layered cream, and then puts chocolate curls on top). Or cover it with berries, then drizzle chocolate over instead of passionfruit. Or....

Yeah, I know, :eek:topic:

Yeah yeah yeah. Off topic schmoff topic. This is CHOCOLATE we're talking about here.

This is Important Stuff.

I'm sure even the ENTIRE CANADIAN NATIONAL TEAM would agree with me!

:rock:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah yeah yeah. Off topic schmoff topic. This is CHOCOLATE we're talking about here.

This is Important Stuff.

I'm sure even the ENTIRE CANADIAN NATIONAL TEAM would agree with me!

:rock:

As long as they got to do the all-important taste-testing? :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As far as Keegan, the man chose to be a Canadian citizen. That is HIS choice. And good for him, as long as he's happy.

Keegan was born with dual citizenship: American for the country in which he was born, and Canadian from his mother.

He did not choose one citizenship over the other: he chose to SKATE for Canada.

Roo87

Medalist
Keegan was born with dual citizenship: American for the country in which he was born, and Canadian from his mother.

He did not choose one citizenship over the other: he chose to SKATE for Canada.

Exactly. Keegan chose to wear red and skate for Canada and be coached by Alan Doyle, he couldn't be more Canadian.