Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks - in the US, I’m pretty sure the annual Champs Camp is required for all skaters with senior GP assignments, so I guess it’s quite different to Japan.

I think it must be because I don't recall reading where Yuzu was always there even before he got to the point he is now... and Takahashi isn't, from the pictures? - even though I believe he has said he's probably competing internationally this year.

yude

Record Breaker
I think it must be because I don't recall reading where Yuzu was always there even before he got to the point he is now... and Takahashi isn't, from the pictures? - even though I believe he has said he's probably competing internationally this year.

And Rika Kihira also didn't participate this year, she was in Colorado ;)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have to go with Otoñal at Rostelcom as well.. to me thats actually one of his best performances of all time, much less last season. :luv17:(

Anyone's best performances of all time (biased? me?)

Speaking of summer training camps, this just showed up in my feed.
A compilation of young Yuzu clips from various training camps. Spot a tiny mushroom-haired boy in the crowd! https://twitter.com/__pino_____/status/1152755480877338624

Do you think the teachers from those early crowds of adorable moppets sometimes think back and wonder if the magic was there and stirring even while they were watching?

Imov

Medalist
Yuzu is probably being perfectionist mode now in TCC about his programmes.
Whether he repeats Otonal and/or Origin, I am gonna love him anyway.

And I do hope his injured ankles had enough muscle growth now. Or at least if I remember correctly he needs to successfully built the mucsle around it or is it his whole body? So the impact can be distributed all over more efficiently?
Somebody please corret me if I remebered wrong.
But I do hope the precautions he need to do are now in order.

ankifeather

Final Flight
Do you think the teachers from those early crowds of adorable moppets sometimes think back and wonder if the magic was there and stirring even while they were watching?

Judging from the number of interviews he had when he was young, not just teachers, even the media took notice of the magic (well of course the media needs to be told by teachers that hey there is a special kid here to start with).

According to Yuzu, Otonal last season is only 30% of where he intends it to be ...so be prepared for 3 seasons of Otonal! (haha I'm joking of course). And I believe even RoC Otonal can be taken to another whole new level had he been given the chance to skate it for a whole season and not just less than half a season.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Sometimes I really wonder what is 100% to Yuzuru Hanyu.

Quite possibly not anything actually attainable on this Earth. That might be part of the fun, inching ever closer to some unattainable ideal, seeing how close he can get.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Guess who again is the only figure skater on the ESPN World Fame 100 this year? :luv17: He's moved up from 70 last year to 64 this year despite the fact that they factor in social media and he is the only one on the list who doesn't use it (going by his known endorsements which are higher than many of the names above, if he did have it he would crack top 30 at least)

https://twitter.com/OTsmXxv5cC1kj88/status/1152513576453586944

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/26113613/espn-world-fame-100-2019

You know, I do think it's better for Yuzuru himself that they don't - he honestly doesn't need it and the fame he has is hard to bear sometimes - but the ISU have been idiots for not using his mass appeal and sheer magnetism internationally...

yude

Record Breaker
Guess who again is the only figure skater on the ESPN World Fame 100 this year? :luv17: He's moved up from 70 last year to 64 this year despite the fact that they factor in social media and he is the only one on the list who doesn't use it (going by his known endorsements which are higher than many of the names above, if he did have it he would crack top 30 at least)

https://twitter.com/OTsmXxv5cC1kj88/status/1152513576453586944

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/26113613/espn-world-fame-100-2019

You know, I do think it's better for Yuzuru himself that they don't - he honestly doesn't need it and the fame he has is hard to bear sometimes - but the ISU have been idiots for not using his mass appeal and sheer magnetism internationally...

Wow, 64th is great achievement!! Congratulations, Yuzuru :hap10: Beautiful blue stands out among all photos :luv17:

Edit: Well, I looked at the photos again and some other athletes were also wearing blue. But can I repeat he did stand out for me? :p

Beckaboomer

Final Flight
Honestly to me one of the funniest things about Yuzu making that World Fame list, other than that big fat "0" on the social media following in comparison to everyone else's being in the millions, is the quote they used from Javi for his profile: "Yuzuru is a mystery, and he will always be a mystery, because he likes it like that." - Javier Fernandez, 2018 Olympic bronze medalist

Pepipanda

Rinkside
Note also that his endorsement listing is only an estimate.

Quote from the "about" page (emphasis added):

"Simple, right? Now for the fine print: If we could not find accurate endorsement figures, we estimated an athlete's endorsement dollars based on the search, social and endorsement data for all athletes under review. Those athletes are: Tyson Fury, Ninja, Colin Kaepernick, Yuzuru Hanyu, Valentino Rossi, Harbhajan Singh, Yi Jianlian, Shakib Al-Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, Sun Yang and Shikhar Dhawan. For Chinese athletes, we used Weibo social numbers because Google and Western social platforms have been blocked in China.

If an athlete had no confirmed social media account, we marked a 0 for social media. Endorsement figures are from the 2018 and 2017-18 seasons. All data and foreign currency conversions are as of Dec. 7."

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I did read that the KOSE deal alone was worth 3 million US (more or less) and was a short term deal that the company are said to be eager to extend because - despite the fact that he pretty much didn't mention skin care for most of it (those blog entries! :laugh: :luv17:) except to cheerfully confirm he doesn't have one, sales were so good just from his name and image...

I know it's not really any of our business, but I shouldn't be surprised if the real figure is quite a bit higher (last year, they couldn't come up with anything at all)

I have said it before, the ANA board must be thanking the skating gods every board meeting that all those years ago they extended an offer to that promising little phenom from Sendai.

ankifeather

Final Flight
His ranking would be more so in the 20s had he got social media and ESPN counted not just Google but also Yahoo for Japanese athletes too (since Japanese use Yahoo more). A lot of athletes that earn less than him were only higher in rank because they had social media. If we rank endorsement figures only, he is ranking 23rd or 24th.

Also if we go by Kose deal is worth USD 3m (by short term I am guessing a year), then USD 13.4m per year for endorsements is sound estimate (if not actually underestimated), since he has like 6 endorsements plus ANA (his employer) right now, and some of the endorsements would be less than USD 3m as they were long term and started before he was double OGM.

kiches

Final Flight
I think that ESPN ranking is a couple months old, I went and ordered a copy of that issue (with the Naomi Osaka cover!). No nice feature like 2018 but it’s nice to see his name in print.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Honestly to me one of the funniest things about Yuzu making that World Fame list, other than that big fat "0" on the social media following in comparison to everyone else's being in the millions, is the quote they used from Javi for his profile: "Yuzuru is a mystery, and he will always be a mystery, because he likes it like that." - Javier Fernandez, 2018 Olympic bronze medalist

:agree:

I think a whole lot of people--- everyone, not just skaters--- would be all the better for it if they stayed off social media, at least under their real names. Good for Yuzu for sticking up for his right to privacy. He gets enough drama from the judging and the media, he doesn't need it from social media, too! (Although who knows how many secret pseudonymous accounts he might have who-knows-where? :laugh:)