Hydroblades or Cantilevers? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hydroblades or Cantilevers?

Rissa

Record Breaker
Why not both?

But if I could have only one, I'd choose hydroblades. They last longer and leave more lasting impressions whereas very few skaters can do a good cantilever, without having a "broken", awkward body line. Not much of a Trusova fan, but to me, only she has an actually good one.

Roo87

Medalist
The answer hydroblade, in particular Keegan Messing's choreographic sequence in his FP this year

Beckaboomer

Final Flight
Hydroblades, because while cantilevers are certainly an impressive feat of athleticism they look so ugly to me in 99% of attempts.

humbaba

Final Flight
I prefer hydroblades. Cantilevers are ugly and make me worry about the skater's knees

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Hydroblades for me, although I admire a well executed cantilever too. But Bourne and Kratz really took hydroblading to a higher level. I'll still be sitting with my mouth open when I watch them at it.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
For me, it's about context in the program and the music.

Hydroblading like Keegan Messing's in his current FS can be so joyful and also fit the mood and music of the program. It's doubly (or triply) effective because it's paired with a full-circle spread eagle. So the two combine to make this moment of celebration. I could only find his ACI fs, and re-watching it I can't get over the idea that he's increased the time spent on that pair of elements for CoC and thus made it more effective, but I can't prove it because the COC video has been taken down.

Here's Keegan's ACI fs. the "moment" starts at 4:00, but again, it's more about how the whole program works into an emotional build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfdfpjg-Dk

The answer hydroblade, in particular Keegan Messing's choreographic sequence in his FP this year
With a big assist from siberia82, I got Keegan’s COC LP from the ISU stream (meaning no commentary and no geoblocking). The full circle spread eagle into hydroblade begins at 3:52. Then, guess what? The replay shows the full circle spread eagle in its entirety. That rarely happens for an element in the choreo sequence. That means Keegan’s spread eagle was long enough and good enough that the “replay person” (I don’t know what the correct term is) decided to include it, from two angles. In the far-away slo-mo, you see Keegan’s circle, extension and turnout, and when it goes closer, you see his expression, which is a joyful but thoughtful smile. All during a spread eagle! :love: Sorry for the slight OT, but as skylark said, they are connected. I can’t wait to see what the program will be like at Canadian Nationals, because I see such improvement between ACI, SA, and COC.

Keegan Messing - 2019 COC LP

Roo87

Medalist
With a big assist from siberia82, I got Keegan’s COC LP from the ISU stream (meaning no commentary and no geoblocking). The full circle spread eagle into hydroblade begins at 3:52. Then, guess what? The replay shows the full circle spread eagle in its entirety. That rarely happens for an element in the choreo sequence. That means Keegan’s spread eagle was long enough and good enough that the “replay person” (I don’t know what the correct term is) decided to include it, from two angles. In the far-away slo-mo, you see Keegan’s circle, extension and turnout, and when it goes closer, you see his expression, which is a joyful but thoughtful smile. All during a spread eagle! :love: Sorry for the slight OT, but as skylark said, they are connected. I can’t wait to see what the program will be like at Canadian Nationals, because I see such improvement between ACI, SA, and COC.

I'm impressed with Keegan this year. He hasn't been perfect, but the raw emotion he's expressing is unreal. He suffered a huge tragedy and came out and did these programs, you can see the pain in his expression as he tries to smile. I think that it's going to be something really special come nationals, especially with his best friend Nam at his side (even though they're competing against each other). I'm prod that he wears the red and white, if he makes it to worlds I will be there in the crowd crying for sure.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Keegan's hydroblade is special enough to deserve its own category. :) But as a general rule, for me, it's hydroblades (so long as they are hydroblades and not anaemic curtsies) and then, some way behind, cantilevers. But even cantilevers are preferable to besti squats, which have no respectable role as anything other than the foundation of an ice dance lift.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:thank: so much for this! I really enjoyed watching it again and will come here again often. I knew there was much more to it at the CoC. So wonderful. As I'd thought, Keegan omitted the Russian split before the spread eagle, to give the SE and the hydroblade their due. It reminds me of what a Canadian commentator (Caroleane maybe?) said about a move in Savchenko/Massot's Olympic FS, a simple turn where he pulled her through while holding onto her foot. She said that was a typical Christopher Dean touch -- do a beautiful move, then do it again. Really lets you enjoy it.