General talk and questions on top ladies | Golden Skate

General talk and questions on top ladies

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well first has Satoko skated anywhere? Do you know what are her programs? Is she injured and or what Is happening with her.

Secondly is Polina T still injured? Has anyone seen her skate or know where she is at?

Third where is Anna P? Injured? What is she skating to this season?

If all these ladies competed at their top level without injury how would you rank the top ten ladies in the world? Thanks for info updates and opinions. :)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Anna P had a problem with an old injury, but as of yet she hasn’t pulled out of any of her Grand Prix assignments. She’s skating to swan lake for her lp, and for her short, I forgot.😕 I’m sure someone else knows. Anna P is definitely at the higher end of the top 10; yet, I think she leaves points on the table with her lack of transitions. And the judges just don’t give her the highest marks.

I’m very nervous about Satoko. Even at her best she wasn’t given the highest marks. I’ve heard a lot about her: she’s over the injury; no wait, she isn’t; oh wait, she is! I don’t know what is actually going on! Her GP assignments are scheduled for later. Her federation wanted to give her extra time to heal.

As for Polina..... I honestly don’t know if she’s still injured.

lappo

Final Flight
Satoko's only showed her SP (to Memories of a Geisha) in a show this summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gi7DF-2_VA
Her LP is set to Madama Butterfly and, if I remember correctly, the choreo is by Tom Dickson (at least, I hope so). She has not skated in a competition and she withdrew from Finland this week to concentrate on GP season. As per her last interview (yesterday) she is training and she has no more pain. You can find the interview in the Japanese ladies thread (I'm sorry, I don't know how to do cross references between multiple threads).
About Polina T., they told us that she is fine and training, but that's all.
Anna P. has SP on a Spanish theme (choreo by P. Camerlengo) and LP to Swan Lake (yes, another swan! :sarcasm: choreo by Morozov).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
For 3 years we had threads about "power rankings". The last one was just April 2017. My ranking then was:

1. Medvedeva
2. Zagitova
3. Miyahara
4. Osmond
5. Pogorilaya
6. Honda
7. Kostner
8. Wagner
9. Radionova
10. Chen

If Miyahara, Pogorilaya, and Tsurskaya start to compete my current ranking would be (newcomers in bold):

1. Medvedeva She decided to play it safe keeping familiar jump layout for the season. She has the Kostner level pcs higher than Osmond and much higher than Zagitova
2. Osmond She scored 218 recently with a fall and mistakes. Zagitova won't be able to close pcs gap soon.
3. Zagitova She has the highest BV and FP she skated cleanly many times. She just got 218 with a fall. Clearly Russia's #2.
4. Mihara She seems to be Japan's #1 lady for this season
5. Higuchi She started to receive high pcs and she has one killer of FP. If she can land 3A and be clean she will become Japan's #1 lady. Then they will switch the ranks with Mihara and Wakaba will exert serious pressure on Zagitova and Osmond.
6. Pogorilaya When she is on she is marvelous. But she will be behind Osmond and Japan's #1. I don't see her coming ahead of Zagitova as well.
7. Wagner Realistically she is still the best candidate for USA'a #1 lady. She has the highest pcs potential and she at times can deliver when it matters. But she is not getting younger to be able to overcome technical issues she had.
8. Miyahara Even if she returns to her pre-injury form I don't think she will get back her scores. She had them being Japan's #1 lady. Now that there are 2 serious contenders for that unofficial title her jumps will be likely judged harsher.
9. Sotskova Her test skates and then her recent win in Finlandia with the score of 205 show that she becomes the force to reckon with.
10. Kostner So far she shows sky high pcs, not outstanding but quite solid programs and big issues with jumps. I do not think she can bring back 3Lz and 3-3s but if she can deliver a clean 7 triple program even without backloading she will climb the rankings up to the very top.

Missing from my new list are:

Honda. I think that Japan will be betting on Mihara and Higuchi. Then if Satoko comes back Marin's prospects for this season with only 2 Japanese ladies in the team are not bright.

Radionova. Whatever improvements I saw, they are minor. Sotskova looked better at test skates and very convincing in Finland.

Chen. I don't think she can cure her URs in the eyes of judges. She is very inconsistent. She can only get back to the list if Wagner fails to deliver and then Karen will replace her as USA's #1 lady.

Other big names

Daleman. Finland showed that despite her getting here the worlds' bronze she has not built the reputation for pcs. She had 61 vs. Caro's 72, although her TES was higher.

Tuktamysheva. There are rays of hope here and there. But she has not skated clean FP for quite a while now. She did not score above 200 for quite a while as well losing her match with Sotskova now by 16 points. And what worked 2 seasons ago: many competitions with slow reputation build-up does not seem to work this time as she does not show much of improvement and the competition is much tougher nowadays.

Tsurskaya. In theory she could be in the list. But I just don't see how she will be able to get the momentum. She did not show up at test skates and challengers - that's a bad sign.

Gold. Whatever information is available gives the impression that she is missing this season.

siela

On the Ice
Third where is Anna P? Injured? What is she skating to this season?

Anna is supposed to compete at the Russian Cup event this week, at least she is on the preliminary Moscow entry list as of now. Hopefully she will skate and do it to the best of her ability. We will know for sure whether she competes or not once online table appears - here http://fsrussia.ru/sorevnovaniya/3171-kubok-rossii-rostelekom-2017-2018-gg-2-j-etap.html
Here is a recent photo of Anna Tsareva's group, everyone there is in one's costume: https://pp.userapi.com/c840527/v840527131/f6ca/mOTM-LZJuAY.jpg

skateluvr

Record Breaker
For 3 years we had threads about "power rankings". The last one was just April 2017. My ranking then was:

1. Medvedeva
2. Zagitova
3. Miyahara
4. Osmond
5. Pogorilaya
6. Honda
7. Kostner
8. Wagner
9. Radionova
10. Chen

If Miyahara, Pogorilaya, and Tsurskaya start to compete my current ranking would be (newcomers in bold):

1. Medvedeva She decided to play it safe keeping familiar jump layout for the season. She has the Kostner level pcs higher than Osmond and much higher than Zagitova
2. Osmond She scored 218 recently with a fall and mistakes. Zagitova won't be able to close pcs gap soon.
3. Zagitova She has the highest BV and FP she skated cleanly many times. She just got 218 with a fall. Clearly Russia's #2.
4. Mihara She seems to be Japan's #1 lady for this season
5. Higuchi She started to receive high pcs and she has one killer of FP. If she can land 3A and be clean she will become Japan's #1 lady. Then they will switch the ranks with Mihara and Wakaba will exert serious pressure on Zagitova and Osmond.
6. Pogorilaya When she is on she is marvelous. But she will be behind Osmond and Japan's #1. I don't see her coming ahead of Zagitova as well.
7. Wagner Realistically she is still the best candidate for USA'a #1 lady. She has the highest pcs potential and she at times can deliver when it matters. But she is not getting younger to be able to overcome technical issues she had.
8. Miyahara Even if she returns to her pre-injury form I don't think she will get back her scores. She had them being Japan's #1 lady. Now that there are 2 serious contenders for that unofficial title her jumps will be likely judged harsher.
9. Sotskova Her test skates and then her recent win in Finlandia with the score of 205 show that she becomes the force to reckon with.
10. Kostner So far she shows sky high pcs, not outstanding but quite solid programs and big issues with jumps. I do not think she can bring back 3Lz and 3-3s but if she can deliver a clean 7 triple program even without backloading she will climb the rankings up to the very top.

Missing from my new list are:

Honda. I think that Japan will be betting on Mihara and Higuchi. Then if Satoko comes back Marin's prospects for this season with only 2 Japanese ladies in the team are not bright.

Radionova. Whatever improvements I saw, they are minor. Sotskova looked better at test skates and very convincing in Finland.

Chen. I don't think she can cure her URs in the eyes of judges. She is very inconsistent. She can only get back to the list if Wagner fails to deliver and then Karen will replace her as USA's #1 lady.

Other big names

Daleman. Finland showed that despite her getting here the worlds' bronze she has not built the reputation for pcs. She had 61 vs. Caro's 72, although her TES was higher.

Tuktamysheva. There are rays of hope here and there. But she has not skated clean FP for quite a while now. She did not score above 200 for quite a while as well losing her match with Sotskova now by 16 points. And what worked 2 seasons ago: many competitions with slow reputation build-up does not seem to work this time as she does not show much of improvement and the competition is much tougher nowadays.

Tsurskaya. In theory she could be in the list. But I just don't see how she will be able to get the momentum. She did not show up at test skates and challengers - that's a bad sign.

Gold. Whatever information is available gives the impression that she is missing this season.

Thank you all -googling didn’t help much with A couple people-it is good to have rink info. I think this is the most competitive ladies season ever. There have never been so many great ladies. As someone said Russian Nationals will be a bloodbath. Personally I prefer Sotskova to Evgenia so far. She really was a surprise. Liza skated better than in a long time but she just isn’t in my top three Russian ladies. I am surprised Leonova still skates- she must just do it for love. I admire her tho. Just so far away from her comrades. Elena is all heart and very expressive I love watching her and Zagitova is getting high pcs. I love Anna P and hope she doesn’t meltdown if she has an off competition but she really is beautiful to watch.

Clearly the battle is between the Russian girls and the two Japanese they decide to send. There should be three it is crazy. I would like to see Wakaba and Miyahara and Honda. Just impossible to think of any of them not at this Olympics plus Mai and Riki.

I was disappointed with Daleman in Finland and she really needs some help to get back to where she was. I don’t like the programs even yet. So sad to see Polina struggle after what she was capable of. Love Kostner for life but she is struggling. Admire her tho she truly loves to skate.

Well I can’t wait to see the ladies so far missing but I hope thenUSA girls have good luck. No Gracie Polina no where near two years ago and Ashley aging as Karen struggles to be consistent. I guess team USA ladies need some miracles. Sigh.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Satoko's only showed her SP (to Memories of a Geisha) in a show this summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gi7DF-2_VA
Her LP is set to Madama Butterfly and, if I remember correctly, the choreo is by Tom Dickson (at least, I hope so). She has not skated in a competition and she withdrew from Finland this week to concentrate on GP season. As per her last interview (yesterday) she is training and she has no more pain. You can find the interview in the Japanese ladies thread (I'm sorry, I don't know how to do cross references between multiple threads).
About Polina T., they told us that she is fine and training, but that's all.
Anna P. has SP on a Spanish theme (choreo by P. Camerlengo) and LP to Swan Lake (yes, another swan! :sarcasm: choreo by Morozov).

Oh my Satoko fell in an exhibition. She never falls- but oh she looks really stunning and I love that back of the dress- she really is a woman out there- I must say her music choices are beautiful but very safe- the Japanese ladies are so traditional and conventional with music- I think Daisuke was someone who was more adventurous- one never does see a Japanese Lady skating to controversial music and the outfits are always age appropriate and lady like- I guess that is partly cultural? I have never been to Japan ‘. Sigh.

nikros

Rinkside

lappo

Final Flight
Oh my Satoko fell in an exhibition. She never falls- but oh she looks really stunning and I love that back of the dress- she really is a woman out there- I must say her music choices are beautiful but very safe- the Japanese ladies are so traditional and conventional with music- I think Daisuke was someone who was more adventurous- one never does see a Japanese Lady skating to controversial music and the outfits are always age appropriate and lady like- I guess that is partly cultural? I have never been to Japan ‘. Sigh.

Satoko designed the dress herself, the concept is a modern kimono (for the diagonal division). As for the music choices I think that Japanese ladies are conventional but so are most of the ladies, barring some exceptions. I think the men are more creative in this and I wonder if this is due more to the fact that the ladies are expected (in the general opinion, not by me) to be and look gracious and feminine. And this is way, since I'm not particularly invested in any of ladies, I care more about men and other disciplines nowadays.

Barb

Record Breaker

I think Mao/Bells of Moscow (the program and costume) was more adventurous than anything that the american ladies have presented in the last years.

And Rika H. has some different programs too.

The costumes usually are age appropiate but not the music, Mao skated Carmen at 15 yo, bad program.

Vickys21

Rinkside

Well, Wakaba’s musical choices this season are more out of the box and her costuming is less traditional.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Still too early but, after getting a look at Mirai's free program from the Japan Open, I think it would be wise to add her to the list of ladies. There's a real chance that she will be the US Champion and if she nails her 3A, I could see her getting on the Podium. She already has a 4th place finish from 2010 and she is in the best shape of her life. Anything can happen.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Wakaba’s musical choices this season are more out of the box and her costuming is less traditional.

I love love love Wakababy's power, finesse,and style. Her technique is very impressive but I'm a little frustrated with her SP. I still haven't watched the FS because I want to wait until the GP, I like to do that with some of the skaters I like, but I'm praying it showcases everything I see in her in a much better light. I was disappointed in the short program while still being very impressed with the snap she has in her execution :pray:

lappo

Final Flight
I think Mao/Bells of Moscow (the program and costume) was more adventurous than anything that the american ladies have presented in the last years.

And Rika H. has some different programs too.

The costumes usually are age appropiate but not the music, Mao skated Carmen at 15 yo, bad program.

You are right in everything IMO, even though I still think that Mao's Bells was not the right vehicle for her (especially in the Oly season) and I didn't like the costume (but that's my personal preference). I like Mao and I like many Tarasova's works (her programs for Yags are still some of the most memorable in FS for me) but for same reasons I couldn't feel them gelling well together.
Anyway, you raise a good point IMO about music point and age appropriateness, I wonder why Big Spender is such a hit in the JGP and that's just the first example that comes to mind. But maybe I'm too conservative...

Shandy

On the Ice
Anyway, you raise a good point IMO about music point and age appropriateness, I wonder why Big Spender is such a hit in the JGP and that's just the first example that comes to mind. But maybe I'm too conservative...

You're not the only one who feels that way about Big Spender. Fantastic program and wonderfully skated, but I'd rather see it paired with Ashley's Moulin Rouge, for example. I'd even almost rather see it done by Kostornaia, who's not much older, but at least isn't as tiny and girl-shaped as Trusova. When I look at Trusova I often see the Childlike Empress from NeverEnding Story. :slink:

Seruleane

Final Flight
I love love love Wakababy's power, finesse,and style. Her technique is very impressive but I'm a little frustrated with her SP. I still haven't watched the FS because I want to wait until the GP, I like to do that with some of the skaters I like, but I'm praying it showcases everything I see in her in a much better light. I was disappointed in the short program while still being very impressed with the snap she has in her execution :pray:
You should absolutely watch Wakaba's FS. It is like 1000x better than her SP. It really made me a new fan of hers. She has my favorite ladies' FS this season.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're not the only one who feels that way about Big Spender. Fantastic program and wonderfully skated, but I'd rather see it paired with Ashley's Moulin Rouge, for example. I'd even almost rather see it done by Kostornaia, who's not much older, but at least isn't as tiny and girl-shaped as Trusova. When I look at Trusova I often see the Childlike Empress from NeverEnding Story. :slink:

No need to slink:)

A lot of them go thru this. Julia had a Childlike Empress phase too :cool:

https://pp.userapi.com/c623630/v623630008/2739d/BB8aVFfwoO4.jpg

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You should absolutely watch Wakaba's FS. It is like 1000x better than her SP. It really made me a new fan of hers. She has my favorite ladies' FS this season.

Well that's encouraging :yahoo:

lappo

Final Flight

:thumbsup: I'm relieved that I'm not alone. I actually feel the same about Eun Soo FP (which is based on the same source) and Eun Soo last year SP. There is nothing wrong with these programs, in terms of the programs per se, and I even enjoyed them. But I sometimes ask myself wheter, if I were a coach or a choreographer, I wouldn't go for a different presentation given the young age of the skaters.