Scott Moir on the difficulties of sharing a coach with their chief rivals | Golden Skate

Scott Moir on the difficulties of sharing a coach with their chief rivals

ice coverage

Record Breaker
lol sensationalist misleading title is sensationalist and misleading

http://globalnews.ca/news/1155815/c...irtue-moir-bemoan-sharing-coach-with-us-pair/

full context of what he said where he also praised marina and praised meryl and charlie while also recognizing some of the difficulties of sharing the same coach with your chief rival

hyper, Thanks for posting the full context [I added my emphases above] and giving the video link.

Sorry, haven't had a chance to watch the vid. So my questions:

- Moir's comments were at the press conference, correct?

- Was he responding to a question? And if so, what was the question? Thx again.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
hyper, Thanks for posting the full context and giving the video link.

Sorry, haven't had a chance to watch the vid. So my questions:

- Moir's comments were at the press conference, correct?

- Was he responding to a question? And if so, what was the question? Thx again.

yeah it was at the presser. i can't be bothered opening up the video again, but it was something along the lines of how hard it was to train with meryl and charlie and marina and did they ever have an inkling that the judges didn't like their programs as much as d/w's. if you actually watch what he's saying, he's very matter-of-fact and both he and tessa are very complimentary to marina and meryl and charlie, but also note some of their difficulties and frustrations they've had with the conflict of interest

sorry i know yall wanted another "what a piss off"-gate but this aint it

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Scott Moir: "Marina is in a tough position. My mom is a coach, and she always says to me: She can't win, no matter what... ... well, she does win, no matter what, kind of"
:agree: That was great.
Yeah, the title was very misleading.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
yeah it was at the presser. i can't be bothered opening up the video again, but it was something along the lines of how hard it was to train with meryl and charlie and marina and did they ever have an inkling that the judges didn't like their programs as much as d/w's. if you actually watch what he's saying, he's very matter-of-fact and both he and tessa are very complimentary to marina and meryl and charlie, but also note some of their difficulties and frustrations they've had with the conflict of interest

sorry i know yall wanted another "what a piss off"-gate but this aint it

So Moir simply was responding to a question with honesty. And the question was at the presser, thus the multiple articles.

In other words, he was not running around sharing his thoughts for no good reason ... and he was not repeating them over and over for individual reporters.

Important context in addition to all the details that you have provided, hyper.

I for one do not want any "-gate" -- that is why I asked my questions. Again, thanks very much for your posts. :) [I added my emphasis to the one quoted above.]

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't envy Zueva's situation. One team will always have a better program and I think that it is unintentional but people will always read more into the situation.

vegarin

On the Ice
Scott Moir: "Marina is in a tough position. My mom is a coach, and she always says to me: She can't win, no matter what... ... well, she does win, no matter what, kind of"
:agree: That was great.
Yeah, the title was very misleading.

I agree that the title is completely misleading. Leave him alone.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think it's a natural question to ask, given the intense rivalry. He was being honest, even if he wasn't necessarily gracious. But who knows? Perhaps D/W felt that way in 2010 and Marina was spending more time with V/M, they were just not asked the same question at a press conference (or were they? My memory isn't that good!).

Although I must ask: if they felt that way, why didn't they go to Igor when that ugly split happened?

It must be a weird situation but I'm hoping that by 2018, when both teams will (likely) be with their delegations in non-competitive roles, they'll look back at this time in their lives with fondness, appreciation and gratitude. These two teams would not be what they are today without one another.

mintx

On the Ice
For a long time I felt Marina was favoring the Canadian's. As Scott said " the shoe is on the other foot" so he recognized that He and Tessa had been the favorites for a long time before D/W. Marina always skipped US nationals until this year for Canadians the two teams have trained together for how many years 10, and this was the very first time she came to US nationals. So yes, her loyalties may have shifted a bit when she saw the US team as more skilled and having the momentum but that's only because she wasn't fair for years before 2010. Either team could have switched coaches but they must have decided that working with Marina was worth the sacrifice of sharing her.

Who are her up and coming teams? I know she has the Shibs but does she have any Juniors? Is there anyone you think will transfer to her now that she will have more time?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks to the mods :bow: for changing the misleading thread title to something objective.

caitie

Medalist
Watching the whole video, it starts out with Scott being very measured and honest about the difficulty and delicacy of the situation, and very complementary to Marina.

Unfortunately halfway through, it turns into an airing of grievances. "There were some odd things that happened." He says that they expected Marina to march with them and be on their team, like she did in Vancouver, and it was a tough pill to swallow when that didn't happen. He says that this was the first time Marina didn't attend Nationals with them, and that "was odd."

The thing is, none of these things are really odd? Neither DW or VM attended the opening ceremony since they had to compete the next day, so Marina marched with the Shib Sibs. And of course Marina couldn't be two places at once when Canadian and US Nationals were on the same weekend. She had more teams in the US, including the Shibutanis who really needed her whereas Meryl and Charlie and Tessa and Scott both are seasoned enough to get by with one of their secondary coaches. I feel like these are grievances VM ubers have been upset by, and I just kind of rolled my eyes, but lo and behold Tessa and Scott were upset by them as well. I understand that in a season where both teams are vying for Marina's attention and skills that any slight can be felt acutely, but it comes off as churlish to me.

CassAgain

On the Ice
For a long time I felt Marina was favoring the Canadian's. As Scott said " the shoe is on the other foot" so he recognized that He and Tessa had been the favorites for a long time before D/W. Marina always skipped US nationals until this year for Canadians the two teams have trained together for how many years 10, and this was the very first time she came to US nationals.

That's not true.

http://www.guyrhodes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/15_skating013113.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Charlie+White+2012+Figure+Skating+Championships+QDsKDcj7W2jl.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Figure+Skating+Championships+Qkm50z6bjqFl.jpg

KKonas

Medalist
I don't know what Moir expected as both Canadians and US Nationals were held the same week unfortunately and Zoueva had D&W and the Shibs to support to make the Olympic Team. Otherwise I am sure she would have gone to Canadians. And there was no way V&M weren't going to win Canadians. The Shibs on the other hand were fighting to make the team over Hubbell & Donahue.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Marina always skipped US nationals until this year for Canadians the two teams have trained together for how many years 10, and this was the very first time she came to US nationals. ...

Who are her up and coming teams? I know she has the Shibs but does she have any Juniors?

I could swear that Zoueva attended U.S. Nationals in 2013 -- and I see that CassAgain has 2013 photos.

Before that, I would assume that Shpilband -- who had equal standing with Zoueva as a primary coach -- attended U.S. Nats.

ETA: By severing her partnership with Shpilband, Zoueva created the problem of juggling the needs/expectations of both Virtue/Moir and Davis/White. One of the advantages of the Shpilband-Zoueva partnership was that together they could fully serve/support both of their top teams as well as others.​

Non-exhaustive answer re Zoueva's other teams:

One of her dance couples are the Hasegawa sibs from Canada. I forget whether they still are junior -- if not, this year was their first as seniors.

Also Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker, who are senior U.S. dancers.

And the U.S. pair team of Linsey (sp?) Davis/Rockne Brubaker, IIRC.​

mintx

On the Ice
Were Canadians and US Nats on different weeks before? I swear in an interview she said this was the first year she missed Canadians. I still had the impression she favored the Canadians for years until the tide turned recently.