rain

Record Breaker
What are your five favourites from 4CC? Here are mine, in no particular order:

Yelim Kim's SP
Sara-Maude Dupuis surprising me in the LP
Keegan Messing's LP
The Canadian pairs
Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen and Lajoie/Lagha's free dances

Honourable mentions: Junhwan Cha's LP, Haein Lee's LP, Bradie Tennell's performances, discovering the New Zealand ice dance team

Weathergal

Medalist
What are your five favourites from 4CC? Here are mine, in no particular order:

Yelim Kim's SP
Sara-Maude Dupuis surprising me in the LP
Keegan Messing's LP
The Canadian pairs
Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen and Lajoie/Lagha's free dances

Honourable mentions: Junhwan Cha's LP, Haein Lee's LP, Bradie Tennell's performances, discovering the New Zealand ice dance team
Tara Prasad - unique, passionate, delightful!
All three Kazakh men's skaters - they all brought a unique style and show a lot of promise for the future
Keegan Messing's FS - yes, the medal's great, but it was the joy, the skill, and the performance that were unforgettable and such a fitting final 4CCs for such a genuine sportsman and all-around decent human
Chan / Howe's FS - I honestly can't stand the music (didn't like the movie either LOL), and yet I was mesmerized by the program; jumps finally landed and the really connected to each other and performed! very happy for them to live up to their potential!
Yelim Kim's and Junhwan Cha's Ina Bauers - that's how you hold a move and make it mean something

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I haven't been able to watch pairs yet, so taking that into account...

Yelim Kim SP
Keegan Messing FS
Amber Glenn SP
Boyang Jin SP- so great to see him on the ice again with a fun program
Can I cheat and say the entire final group of the free dance? ;) The penultimate group had some great moments and diversity of programs too, though also some heartbreakers which shall go unnamed... overall, I wish I could've seen this lineup not at altitude because it really was a great group of very difference ice dancers and programs. But if I have to single one out... I was really happy to see Carreira/Ponomarenko bounce back after Nationals with an undeniably great RD. I just wish the judges had shown them more love in the FD.

Bonus: Sara-Maude Dupuis won me over in the SP and cemented herself as a new favorite in the free, Jimmy Ma delivering in the short, and of course, Haein Lee 4CCs champion!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Keegan Messing's LP : so much joy
FBS and LALA skating brilliantly all weekend and winning their first ISU championships (senior) medals.
Conrad confirming his rank as second Canadian man and hopefully getting selected for Worlds.
Sara Maude Dupuis's LP. From 4th in Canada to 9th at 4cc... it's a pretty big achievement.
I realise that this is an all Canadian post so far... but I saved the last point for Korean women. I was expecting them to be good as they are, but they surpassed my wishes !

Honorable mention : Edrian getting his SP minimum scores without a triple axel nor a quad... pretty boss !

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Madi and Evan's Free Dance
Jimmy Ma's Short
Mone Chiba's Freeskate
The entire Men's podium Freeskate (cheating a bit here)
Emily and Spencer's Freeskate

Honorable mentions to: Haein's big win, Isabeaus's short (so sad she had to withdraw), Bradie's short, Shaidorov & Lee's freeskates, FB&S and L&L's podium winning free dances.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1, 2. 3. 4. and 5: Keegan Messing's LP, what a skate, what joy.

OK, parsing it further ;)

2. Madi and Evan's FD. I am shocked that after SA, which I did not like. At. all. , that they have come up with such a compelling freee dance.

3. Jun's LP: I just adore the program, mistakes or not.

4. Boyang Jin's SP. So good to see him back.

And back to Keegan :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few low-key favorites, a step away from the obvious choices:

1. Danny O'Shea. Not the pair, not the program, not the performance. Just Danny who, if "pair guy" were an event, would medal every time out of the blocks.
2. Mikhail Shaidorov. What an excellent young skater from a small fed. He did very well, despite the travel problems and being coached by my least favorite Olympic champion ever.
3. Liam Kapeikis. That long program was a mess and he was rightfully buried in the standings, but he has style. Maybe he'll turn out to be a Paul Wylie kind of skater, who gets it together at the perfect moment.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
1. Keegan's free skate ❤️
2. FB/S free dance - first time I went wow whilst watching this program, so sharp! Happy for them to medal at 4CC for the first time!
3. Mone Chiba free skate - great redemption from her nationals performance and she should be so proud!
4. Haein Lee SP - think it was very underrated but I loved it. Also love an unexpected champion! :hap10:
5. Pereira/Michaud SP - best I've ever seen them

I might add, all 3 women on the podium got there without quads or triple axels and all of them have lovely presentation and skating skills. What a win!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Highlights per discipline:

Ladies—Tara Prasad FS. Honorable mention: Chaeyeon Kim
Men—Junhwan Cha (yes, he’s skated better, but his charisma completely overwhelms that of any other skater I’ve ever seen.) Honorable mention: Mikhail Shaidorov’s LP; also, the competitive nerve shown by Kao Miura and Shun Sato in their FS’s
Pairs—Chan & Howe FS, best I’ve ever seen them skate, and they were loving every minute of it, too. The looks on their faces!
Dance—Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen’s FD, utterly spellbinding live
Other—small but mighty audience, loudly and enthusiastically cheering on every skater

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Highlights per discipline:

Other—small but mighty audience, loudly and enthusiastically cheering on every skater

This came across very well, even watching on my laptop from home.

Good fans - they cheered everyone, and pretty loudly, too. Especially, I thought, some of the lowest ranked skaters who were still the best their countries had to offer. I loved that.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I have regrettably not watched the pairs yet (I will, so I will enter a top 5 of the pairs later) and I hardly ever watch women - in random order:

1, Keegan's FS. That joy, that wonderful landing on the triple axel, his signature moves. Yay! That he got a medal was just a bonus. It was the Skate itself, the joyousness.
2 Jimmy's SP.
3, Shun's wonderful understated flamenco.
4. The whole last group of ID in the FD.
5. Mikhail Shaidorov's FS.

Honourable mentions: Conrad Orzel. That 4-salchow in the beginning of his FS was sublime. Sihyeoung Lee. His joy after the FS was palpable.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I only watched parts of it, so I don't have a comprehensive view of it, but 5 I enjoyed a lot:

Chaeyeon Kim, Amber Glenn's short, Lajoie/Lagha, Pereira/Michaud and the moustached plushy-bread that Le Gac got.

Weathergal

Medalist
I only watched parts of it, so I don't have a comprehensive view of it, but 5 I enjoyed a lot:

Chaeyeon Kim, Amber Glenn's short, Lajoie/Lagha, Pereira/Michaud and the moustached plushy-bread that Le Gac got.
Yes, that plushy was adorable.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Yes, that plushy was adorable.
You mean the peanut butter and jelly plushie they received for the RD, which they were playing with in the KnC? The fan that found that for them, also found and threw a rainbow-striped unicorn for Amber Glenn.
I want to be more like this fan when I grow up—#stuffiegoals

Weathergal

Medalist
You mean the peanut butter and jelly plushie they received for the RD, which they were playing with in the KnC? The fan that found that for them, also found and threw a rainbow-striped unicorn for Amber Glenn.
I want to be more like this fan when I grow up—#stuffiegoals
The moustache on the plushie looked so much like LeGac's moustache for their program - it was very cool.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Tara Prasad - I expect to see her at the Olympics if she wants to keep going. This may sound weird but when she missed a jump she did not get mad, she did not get upset... she looked more like a computer running a diagnostic. I respect that a lot.

Darian Kaptich - He is my early underdog for the Olympics. Bonus points for my better half saying he nearly crushed his hand in an handshake without trying because he is so strong.

Kao Miura - My better half actually spotted him a SA before i noticed him. Was rather fun to say "yep you called it"

Keegan - How can you not love seeing one of your favorites have the skate of their life in person?

Marie-Jade Lauriault / Romain Le Gac - The one Ice Dance team that was able to elicit an "I like these guys" response from the better half who knows nothing about ice dance.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, I said I'd be back after watching the pairs FS. A top 5 of the pairs.

1. They gave it their all. Such tiredness after their programme, and certainly not the least of them. Kudos and a lot of respect.
2. Danny's smile.
3. Deanna's smile.
4. Emily and Spencer have never skated so well. I don't think it was politics that got them in second, it was their skating. Excellent.
5. Riku and Ryuichi's class.